How good of a guitarist do I need to be to join a rock band.

I haven't been playing for that long...well I got my guitar about 3 years ago but I have not been consistently playing.

Like is there a list of things that I can check off?
Well if its a cover band I would say be able to play along to some of the songs you'd be playing. Don't just play riffs by yourself, make sure you can play along to the song or a backing track would be better.
depends on how good the other people in the band are, you should be about as good at guitar as they are at their instruments.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
depends on how good the other people in the band are, you should be about as good at guitar as they are at their instruments.

This ^

And Ideally you should be well versed in whatever genre of music you are trying to play.
3 years eh? Well i joined one at 3 months, (rhythm) and sure i wasn't very good. Endless your playing in a serious band,it really shouldn't matter. And a band is only as strong as its weakest link. But you should be fine. Given an AVERAGE band that plays cover songs you should know.
:Basic Music Theory (Ex: Song Key, Some scales, Notes )
:Keep a steady and consistent beat. (Ex: Don't fall out of measure in the middle of a song)
: Basic Chords (F,C,E,D ect.)
: Improvising (You can learn this together with a band, this is a MUST eventually. "jamming" is the best part of being in a band
Quote by zipmike
I sucked my grandma's dick for a dollar when I was 8.
Just throw yourself into it man. There's no better practice then jamming/practicing/gigging with a band. It really doesn't mater how good you are, there are no rules on these things - if you believe in the band and yourself, then that'd good enough for anyone.

Don't put yourself out to impress bandmates, just form a band with other people who are interested and have fun. If others tell you certain 'rules' or 'regulations' then just remember: rules are made to be broken.
Quote by theogonia777

I'll have to disagree with this. For a start you can't compare how good someone is on drum than another person is on guitar, and secondly, if the music sounds good, who cares whether someone isn't up to scratch with their technical or theory skills? Consider the difference between Dave Grohl on drums and Kurt Cobain on guitar.

If you want to join a band, I think all you realistically need is to know a whole heap of open chords. The basic ones will do fine and that's enough to plug through the majority of songs. You'll see what you want/need to learn once you start playing with other people. So I'll support the person who said "jump right in, give it a try".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well I have been teaching my self on and off for a while, and I know I have bad habits and I have no idea how to read music, and have always hated reading music ever since music class at school (HATED IT) Being able to read sheet music isn't something I need to learn right?

I know a few scales, I know all the basic chords.

I might as well try, nothing to lose right?

Also playing rhythm for a twelve bar blues band can't be hard, can it?
If it's a blues band then learn some blues scales and rhythms. There aren't set parameters to be in a band. Just learn some basic theory and work on playing consistantly amd establishing good technique.
Quote by theyellow
Well I have been teaching my self on and off for a while, and I know I have bad habits and I have no idea how to read music, and have always hated reading music ever since music class at school (HATED IT) Being able to read sheet music isn't something I need to learn right?

Reading sheet music is not necessary to join a band. You may learn along the way that "lead sheets" or "chord sheets" can be incredibly useful however, especially as your sets get longer and longer for personal reference, or just to communicate to other band members what you want them to play. I'll often come to band practice with a notepad.

Quote by theyellow

Well, don't underestimate every band who plays blues. Sure a lot of blues songs have the basic I IV V type progression, but it's the differences in the rhythm and riff that help differentiate between different songs. Maybe whilst jamming around you should learn some of the more popular riffs and rhythms that blues uses. Consider the difference between say, Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry), Rock N Roll (Led Zep) and Crossroads (Cream). All similar chord progressions, yet each has a different sound.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
When I started out, I had been playing guitar for about 2 years when I joined my first band (who is still together and getting stronger). Our drummer had no idea what he was doing(well he did, but couldn't do much, but now has become one of the best our age that we know [17, 18]),the other guitarist and I were mediocre, and our friend picked up bass because we called him and said "you're playing bass for us."

But playing with other people made me a better/guitarist than I ever would have been by just playing in my room. Just start out playing covers and if you guys can, start writing originals. Know scales, chords, have decent timing. So yeah, if you guys have somewhat equal experience and skill level, it could work out great
Last edited by jburde at Sep 19, 2010,
depends. prog rock, be hella good, pop-punk, know how to play an instrument and thats it. bands in interviews and such often attack the "labels" they're given besides straight-up rock, but i think its necessary, know ur sub-genre then you know what you need to learn.
Last edited by TMVATDI at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by theyellow

I know a few scales, I know all the basic chords.

I might as well try, nothing to lose right?

You're more than ready
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Joining a band is one of the best ways to develop your musicianship and your timing along with technical skills and expressiveness. So I encourage you to join as soon as possible.
This reminds me of a terrible joke:
Boy goes to father: "Dad, I wanna learn the guitar"
Father: "well, lets find you a teacher then"
so the boy gets a guitar teacher and goes to his first lesson...
half an hour later, the boy returns from said lesson.
"what did you learn son"?
"oh I learned the A minor chord"
"That's good son"
Next guitar lesson, the boy is in there for an hour
"oh I learned the C major chord"
"That's good son"
Next guitar lesson, the boy is in there for 2 hours
"oh I learned the E minor chord"
"That's good son"
The next lesson, the boy is there for 6 hours and doesn't come back til 1 oclock in the morning
"what took you so long son? That was a mighty long lesson, what did you learn?"
"Oh, that was the gig"
Just as good as Sid Vicious (y)
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Me: Honestly, why haven't we had sex yet?

Her: IDK, we are doing tomorrow after cinema, aren't we?

Me: Err...are we?

Her. Damn right we are.

Thanks UG.
Quote by Incardito
Eating another man without BBQ sauce is pretty badass