I've been playing guitar for 2 years, and I'm in the process of learning Rush-Hour Killing Spree by Putrid Pile. For some reason, I just can't get the f*cking tremolo picking down, and its EXTREMELY frustrating. I start off really slow and work up the speed but as I start picking faster, my right hand tends to tense up and the notes get sloppy. I'm choking down on the pick so far that it sounds like I'm playing pinch harmonics. I don't know what the hell my problem is. Please help me before I smash my guitar through the wall in rage.
He I ve been learning myself tremolo, and one of things that have helped me is to stay relaxed and don`t tense the arm or pick with the forearm, and practice practice and practice some more with a metronome because then you` ll learn to not pick in time, which is a bad habbit to kick later on.
Breakin` the Law!
Its not easy learning to temolo pick. You really have to go slow and stay really relaxed to build up any kind of stamina and speed with it or you end up with a jumbled mess. If you can, get a guitar pro file and practice as slow as you need to to play it and then build up.
Building up tremolo picking is something you only need to learn once and then you'll be able to play almost anything that involves it. It's worth taking the time to do it properly.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by rasta_mon
He I ve been learning myself tremolo, and one of things that have helped me is to stay relaxed and don`t tense the arm or pick with the forearm, and practice practice and practice some more with a metronome because then you` ll learn to not pick in time, which is a bad habbit to kick later on.

This.
la de da.
Quote by reversegenesis
use your elbow and not your wrist

This is bull. More speed can from using the forearm and wrist, and not the elbow (which if you learn this way, will be another bad habit to break.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by reversegenesis

This is a waste of energy and bad for you in the long run.
This is what you want to avoid
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

ha, no kidding its not easy. actually, I have been using speed trainer on the guitar pro tab. also, I play with my wrist, not my elbow. I guess it'll just take time. thanks.
ya, like everyone above said, practice and use your wrist. But always remeber what daron malakian of soad said "masturbation really helps", so lock yorslef in your room and practice for 4 hours straight, then start to play your guitar.
Last edited by madguitrist at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by reversegenesis

I apparently use my elbow and it is a large handicap for me right now. Don't do it.
USE YOUR WRIST! I played for like 2 years from the elbow, got some rsi and it was sloppy. And I couldn't palm mute while doing it. Switched to my wrist and couldn't play fast at all. I only practiced tremolo picking for a few weeks and could play faster than from my elbow, and palm mute at the same time! just practice man! and DON'T PICKY ANCHOR!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
If you check out my channel on Youtube you can take a look at my basic videos on picking for a start. I don't yet have a video on tremolo picking, but there are many demonstrations on me doing it in the demo video and I should have a lesson on it up in the next few weeks. Basic Techniques