Page 1 of 2
So I've been thinking about new stuff since I have some psycho problems.

Among my rearrangement in-mind, I thought WTF about school. Seriously, if everyone hates it (mostly) why keep it just the same.

I mean, there are so many teachers out there and they can't come up with some way to keep us satisfied and learning?
yeah rebels!!!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Can YOU come up with a way to keep us interested and learning? Dont blame others for not solving a problem that you cant solve either.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
they have to regulate it to make sure every kid gets the "same" education. yeah, other ways would work SO much better for lots of kids, but that gets to be kind of messy and no one wants to try to work out all the kinks.
i no rite? they should just change to make you happy so you don't have to work that hard
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Fiire

Among my rearrangement in-mind, I thought WTF about school. Seriously, if everyone hates it (mostly) why keep it just the same.

I mean, there are so many teachers out there and they can't come up with some way to keep us satisfied and learning?

Because, believe it or not, it works. No really. Teaching people things tends to result in them learning something provided they were listening. School worked better when people weren't retards who decided it was stupid too.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by doomded
Can YOU come up with a way to keep us interested and learning? Dont blame others for not solving a problem that you cant solve either.

I enjoy my self studying what I like and making some assignments interesting, but the program itself is quite boring.
Quote by ApeWeevil
Because, believe it or not, it works. No really. Teaching people things tends to result in them learning something provided they were listening. School worked better when people weren't retards who decided it was stupid too.

Okay you got it.
It's not school, it's the people that attend school.

But who should change…?
Quote by Fiire
Okay you got it.

But who should change…?

Easy way to solve problem: Make it so you have to apply to get into high schools just like you would for college or some private schools.
Quote by Fiire
Okay you got it.

But who should change…?

Nothing should change. People who have a desire to succeed will put up with all the shit they get and make something of their life, the rest can flip burgers for all I care.
Quote by red157
All these Scott Pilgrim .gifs are really putting me off seeing Scott Pilgrim.

Exactly this.

Except the movie looks awful automatically because Michael Cera is in it.
Quote by Fiire
Okay you got it.

But who should change…?

School isn't there to entertain you. You're supposed to learn and then move on to whatever you want after you finish. School =/= daycare. More people need to realise this.
We wait and contemplate

Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
The one thing I disagree with, yet understand its need, is testing people.
Tests are very partial. You can study one day before and forget everything then after.

I can't come up with another method anyway.
Quote by ApeWeevil
School isn't there to entertain you. You're supposed to learn and then move on to whatever you want after you finish. School =/= daycare. More people need to realise this.

Sure, except you completely ignored the other activities you do at school. Oh, gee, like extra curricular activities. Which you can't take apart in if you aren't in school.

School's supposed to be there to interest kids in learning, be it science, history, language, whatever. Not to bore them so they quit. I had teachers that generally loved what they were doing, and you know what?

They were good teachers and kept the kids interested.

It's not one sided, yes TS should suck it up and do his very best in school, but the teachers do have an obligation to give a clear understanding whilst making people genuinely interested.

You're not going to learn anywhere near as much if you're bored as hell.

Quote by jetfuel495
I enjoyed it. I still don't know who Michael Cera is, aside from him playing Scott Pilgrim.

He's unimportant in every aspect. I can't stand his acting "ability" so to speak. Yes he does understand the losers of society (No offense, I don't mean that offensively rather I mean it as people who are socially awkward) but that's the only selling point I've seen him utilize in his movies.

Quote by Fiire
Tests are very partial. You can study one day before and forget everything then after.

Tests are there to judge your abilities to remember, right?

So study as often as you can. You know what the problem is?

You don't put enough effort into school. Make yourself interested.
Last edited by severed-metal at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Fiire

Substitute democracy with testing:

Quote by Winston Churchill
Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

@severed-metal: I can agree with that. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Not that teachers are incompetent, but most got there because they didn't know what else to do with their degree.
We wait and contemplate

Last edited by ApeWeevil at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by fancypants1
They should make a system where everything you do is hands on and its not just pencil and paper shit

Yeah, you know what, we'll put you in an advanced hands-on math class.

"Alright fancypants, take ten groups of these three Volkswagen sized boulders to the other end of the football field. Then, remove half of them, and bring them back. Count them afterwards, and you've solved the problem (3x10)/2"
Quote by fancypants1
They should make a system where everything you do is hands on and its not just pencil and paper shit

Yeah, it's called dropping out and getting a shitty labor job. Have fun.
Quote by severed-metal
Sure, except you completely ignored the other activities you do at school. Oh, gee, like extra curricular activities. Which you can't take apart in if you aren't in school.

School's supposed to be there to interest kids in learning, be it science, history, language, whatever. Not to bore them so they quit. I had teachers that generally loved what they were doing, and you know what?

It's not one sided, yes TS should suck it up and do his very best in school, but the teachers do have an obligation to give a clear understanding whilst making people genuinely interested.

MATTERHORN
Quote by severed-metal
I had teachers that generally loved what they were doing, and you know what?

+1. My chem teacher was absolutely awesome. Very knowledgeable and informative guy who had a sense of humor as well. My English teacher was a total asshole and everyone hated him and his class.

Teachers can be part of the problem just as much as students.
All you dumbasses saying "Lol education's not supposed to be fun grow up" Have obviously never had a proper teacher.

My honors and AP teachers were absolute blasts to have, they made the classes interesting and engaging, the way education SHOULD be.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by ApeWeevil

There is still the issue of too much focus on grades and tests but other than that you can still learn alot. If not that than well than.....
Quote by jetfuel495
This. They have to weed out the losers somehow.

This way of looking at it works too.

Edit:
Quote by severed-metal

Tests are there to judge your abilities to remember, right?

So study as often as you can. You know what the problem is?

You don't put enough effort into school. Make yourself interested.

Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Last edited by ricanboyguitar at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by ricanboyguitar
There is still the issue of too much focus on grades and tests but other than that you can still learn alot. If not that than well than.....

This way of looking at it works too.

The system is far from perfect but the reality is that the person who studies and does well in tests is far more reliable and potentially capable beyond school than someone who consistently scores low. Universities will always select the more likely capable and reliable candidates since there isn't really another apparent way.

EDIT: Looks like severed-metal's edited his post since the first time I saw it. Pretty much /thread. Well said.
We wait and contemplate

Last edited by ApeWeevil at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Doctor Matthews

stop posting scott pilgrim pics please. it's making me want to murder michael cera for being a part of it.
Quote by ApeWeevil
@severed-metal: I can agree with that. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Not that teachers are incompetent, but most got there because they didn't know what else to do with their degree.

Yes, sorry if I sounded condescending.

Anyways, in my eyes, that's reasonable. They need a job, but now it's their responsibility to make sure they can teach to all ages. If you want an example of someone who teaches, and knows how to teach, take a look at Clifford Stoll. He's probably the best example I can imagine.

A little eccentric at points, but he gets the point across and captures your attention.

I will admit, It's difficult getting the perfect blend between understanding and fun in the classroom at an older age (kids), because of the different individuals. We need to start kids off with wonders, we need to show them the world at a young age, show them history, art, science, because the satisfaction gained from seeing these minds transform into something that actually enjoys life is impossible to match.

It's hard to explain, but I mean, having taught a few people in my life of 19 years, the feeling you get when they finally understand math or just anything is amazing.
I like school, I've got great teachers who love to teach.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
Education in the US is facing two problems:

1) The way the education field works from a career standpoint. It puts incompetent, lazy teachers at the head of the classroom and leaves passionate educators out of the field because they are lacking certain requirements or refuse to play by the government's (silly) rules. It is a difficult field to get into for all the wrong reasons. The incentives to teach are also low.
2) In my experience, and in general, American students tend to be lazy and entitled. They feel that they deserve entertainment and they don't want to do any work. Many don't actually understand why education is beneficial or worth working for, they just have to go because it's mandated by the government.

I teach high school kids by the way, it's a blast. I love education, knowledge, learning and critical thinking. I also love watching students learn to love those things, too.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
EDIT: ^Yes.

Quote by Fiire

There are good teachers and there are bad teachers. Generally people will ACTUALLY learn more in a class they enjoy. Unfortunately, Teacher's Unions prevent anyone from getting rid of the bad teachers, and of course, Democrats will defend Teacher's Unions... So, that's how it's going to be.

Time just did an article on this that was pretty interesting.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
There are good teachers and there are bad teachers. Generally people will ACTUALLY learn more in a class they enjoy. Unfortunately, Teacher's Unions prevent anyone from getting rid of the bad teachers, and of course, Democrats will defend Teacher's Unions... So, that's how it's going to be.

Time just did an article on this that was pretty interesting.

This is probably true. Teachers unions ruin everything; they actually got my favorite teacher fired. He taught Fire Science and Law Enforcement, and would always tell us about the cool stuff he used to get into in the forest service. Then our school caught fire. He knew the best option was to keep the students in class (after all, it's a metal and concrete building, it won't burn) so as the rest of the school evacuated to the (flammable) football field, he didn't. Then the school board was all over him for not following "protocol." He asked the teachers' union to defend him, but they chose not to because he didn't teach a "core" class. Which was doubly wrong because they still took dues from his paycheck.

tl;dr Really cool teacher got screwed by teachers' union.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Page 1 of 2