I have an Epi G-400. Its on a JCM2000.
It's great except for the sustain. It sucks.

What can I do?
turn up the gain
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
gain is on 10…
the main problem shows up during tapping, its horrible. I play on other guitars and it comes out fine, but on mine…
Quote by Fiire
gain is on 10…
the main problem shows up during tapping, its horrible. I play on other guitars and it comes out fine, but on mine…

dude.. it's an Epiphone. There's a reason why they cost less.
Check your set up. Also, how high is your volume?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by BobDetroit
dude.. it's an Epiphone. There's a reason why they cost less.

some squiers have better sustain, so i wont go around blaming the guitar brand...
A nice Les Paul would solve all your problems.

Right Here
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by Fiire
some squiers have better sustain, so i wont go around blaming the guitar brand...

Alright. The brand is great. Maybe it's just your guitar that sucks.

Quote by Levi79
Lower your action maybe if you can't get the taps to come out good.

That might make it worse.

You can try raising the action a bit or lowering the pickups or both. If the strings are hitting the frets or are too close to the pickups the magnets will drag them down and you'll have less sustain.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Sep 19, 2010,
Try raising your action a bit, and lowering the pickups, like BobDetroit suggested.
If that doesn't help, really the only thing you can do is add mass. Try adding some weight to the headstock, there used to be a thing called the Groove Tubes Fat Finger, for this purpose, but they discontinued it for some reason. Its basically just a weight with a screw on it (with a padded end so it wont damage the guitar) that you put on the headstock.
i have an epi sg. has really good sustain. once i set it up properly it can sustain for a good amount of time. my gibson sg standard has trouble keeping up. there are a lot of different factors that will help/**** up what you want out of your guitar. materials and parts will make or break a guitar. have your guitar set up properly by a professional and see if that helps. if it doesnt then look into replacing the bridge and tail piece. itll be cheaper to replace those parts than it would be to buy a new guitar. pick ups can play into it as well. if youre using the crap stock epi pick ups, might want to upgrade. i put the 500t from my gibson v into my epi and it helped with tone of the guitar. notes pop more and the higher out put helps make the note sing.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I think the problem is most likely your guitar. I used to have a G400, and it just sucked in every possible way. They're ****ing terrible, every one I've played, and almost everyone who has had one has said similar. There are some who say they like theirs, but I've yet to encounter a good one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Raise action. It also depends what kind of amp you're using. With a nice tube amp and the volume set correctly you should be able to find a sweet spot and sustain a note forever. Turning up the gain won't really help.
Quote by Fiire
I have an Epi G-400. Its on a JCM2000.
It's great except for the sustain. It sucks.

What can I do?

Hmm, generally SGs sustain OK. I'm not exactly surprised you're getting limited sustain out of a JCM2000 (whether DSL or TSL) though. IMO they just have horrible feel.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Offworld92
I think the problem is most likely your guitar. I used to have a G400, and it just sucked in every possible way. They're ****ing terrible, every one I've played, and almost everyone who has had one has said similar. There are some who say they like theirs, but I've yet to encounter a good one.

ignorance is bliss. obviously the problem is going to be the guitar, but i know first hand your post is bull shit. you can turn a cheap guitar into something that you can record with and play live with. even if its just a pick up swap or a over haul of parts. cheap guitars have their place. there are bands driven by shit guitars.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
ignorance is bliss. obviously the problem is going to be the guitar, but i know first hand your post is bull shit. you can turn a cheap guitar into something that you can record with and play live with. even if its just a pick up swap or a over haul of parts. cheap guitars have their place. there are bands driven by shit guitars.

Cool story. But what did anything you said have anything to do with what I said?

I said the G400 is a crap guitar, because it is. I never said anything about upgrading. You don't have to upgrade a guitar to record or play live with. You can record and paly live with any guitar. That doesn't automatically make it not a piece of crap.

I don't even know why I'm responding to this, or what I'm trying to say. Your post just makes absolutely no sense as a response to my comment.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Cool story. But what did anything you said have anything to do with what I said?

I said the G400 is a crap guitar, because it is. I never said anything about upgrading. You don't have to upgrade a guitar to record or play live with. You can record and paly live with any guitar. That doesn't automatically make it not a piece of crap.

I don't even know why I'm responding to this, or what I'm trying to say. Your post just makes absolutely no sense as a response to my comment.

you responded because you think you have a clue about what is being said. obviously you dont. the g400 is not by any stretch as good as my standard sg. thats a known fact, but a g400 can keep up with a gibson. electric wizard is proof of this. id upgrde parts on a guitar if theyd enhance the sustain or tone of the guitar before recording. you don't have to, but you also dont have to try and knock my post when your post is nothin but a rant about how the g400s are shit guitars and you dont say a single thing to help the kid out.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Your posts are doing nothing besides proving my posts. All I said is that the G400 is a crap guitar, and all you're saying is how great the G400 can be after you upgrade the parts. You're not proving anything contrary to what I said, you're just stating what I was implying.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

lol a bit off track i know but, are you also saying at that g400 is shittier than an ltd mh200?
Quote by tele-a-holic
lol a bit off track i know but, are you also saying at that g400 is shittier than an ltd mh200?

more like he just doesnt want to be wrong. i didnt do anything to my sg besides swap pick ups and it has better sustain than my gibson. he thinks because youre swapping parts out it must mean that he is right about it being shitty, yet it just proves that you can take a not that bad of a guitar and make it into a better guitar. he must know though since he uses bottom of the barrel ltds. which any time ive ever plaid one, theyre about as good as the shittiest epiphones.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by tele-a-holic

Easily. Also, I'm assuming that was an attack on my gear, so I'll just let you know that I have an M-200FM, not an mh200.

I've owned both, and I'll indulge you by telling you exactly how my LTD is superior to a G400.

The Epi has unfinished and unlevel frets. Often on the higher frets notes won't ring out at all, because the frets are so unlevel. I am not the only person who had this problem with their SG.

The Epi's electronics are shit - I had to fix my input jack after it had fallen apart and out on 3 occasions. Also, one of the volume knobs fell apart. I have not had a single problem with hardware/electronics on my LTD. This is also a problem that I have heard multiple times from fellow G400 owners.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Easily. Also, I'm assuming that was an attack on my gear, so I'll just let you know that I have an M-200FM, not an mh200.

I've owned both, and I'll indulge you by telling you exactly how my LTD is superior to a G400.

The Epi has unfinished and unlevel frets. Often on the higher frets notes won't ring out at all, because the frets are so unlevel. I am not the only person who had this problem with their SG.

The Epi's electronics are shit - I had to fix my input jack after it had fallen apart and out on 3 occasions. Also, one of the volume knobs fell apart. I have not had a single problem with hardware/electronics on my LTD. This is also a problem that I have heard multiple times from fellow G400 owners.

all those problems are easily fixed though. you play what you like. thats cool. no ones trying to tell you different, but to say the guitar is complete shit due to a lack of proper installation of a few things doesnt mean shit. i had small issues with my epi and that is all. nothing to actually say the guitar is complete shit. sounds more like youre over dramatic like a bitch on the rag.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
How do you improve sustain?

Do the same as this thread, it seems to go on and on...
Quote by Fiire
wtf, so how do i improve the sustain, gentlemen?

I already told you once, get a Les Paul.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.