I recently noticed that when I use the tremolo bar on my Ibanez RG550RXX, it causes a few strings on my guitar to go out of tune.

A few days ago, I got the guitar setup at a shop, which adds more confusion to the fact that my guitar is going out of tune.

What might be causing this? What can I do to fix this?
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 19, 2010,
Not having the strings locked at the bridge tight enough could cause some slippage. You don't exactly need to crank it though.

More likely, since you said you just had a setup, I belive its just the new strings stretching. Give a few days and they'll be settled in.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Grab your low E string with your picking hand. Tug. Then place your fret hand somewhere on the low E. Tug. Move three frets. Tug. Repeat 'til you've covered all frets. Tug the open string again.

Do this with every string. (Make sure to re-tune every string, if need be.)

This stretches your strings. Chances are your strings have slack in them. What I suggested to you takes out that slack.

Edit: Also, how vigorous is your tremolo usage? Don't overdo it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Grab your low E string with your picking hand. Tug. Then place your fret hand somewhere on the low E. Tug. Move three frets. Tug. Repeat 'til you've covered all frets. Tug the open string again.

Do this with every string. (Make sure to re-tune every string, if need be.)

This stretches your strings. Chances are your strings have slack in them. What I suggested to you takes out that slack.

Edit: Also, how vigorous is your tremolo usage? Don't overdo it.

I use it somewhat often, but I am not pushing its limits.
apparently theres a certain way you should tune your floyd..but you know if im lazy i dont really follow it this way.. but uhm yeah.

so you tune your lower E first. then your A.
then go back to lower E, then your A, then your D,
and you get the point.
its because when you tune one string, it'll f uck the other strings up
im sure you already knew that :/
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by whoahesgood
apparently theres a certain way you should tune your floyd..but you know if im lazy i dont really follow it this way.. but uhm yeah.

so you tune your lower E first. then your A.
then go back to lower E, then your A, then your D,
and you get the point.
its because when you tune one string, it'll f uck the other strings up
im sure you already knew that :/

I didn't know that, this is my first guitar with a floating bridge.
When tuning a 6 string, i tune in this order: High E, B, low E, A, G, D . I think its called cross tuning, seems to work well for me.
Make sure the locking studs are tightened, there should be a 2mm allan screw inside the trem studs, tighten it all the way down, then tighten the stud itself down (not too hard though).

Also make sure they set the trem angle properly, Ibanez Edge's and LoPro's have the top of the trem plate angled, so the top of the trem should NOT be parallel with the body, a lot of people dont know this so the trems get set up incorrectly all the time.
It should look like this;

When you're tuning, you shouldn't just tune, then lock the nut and fine tune. Tune at the headstock(Tune E-e, A-B and D-G), lock the nut, then grab the trem arm and do some full dives and pull ups, finishing with a full dive and let the trem return to a neutral position. Unlock the nut, re-tune, lock the nut and then fine tune E to e.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
Make sure the locking studs are tightened, there should be a 2mm allan screw inside the trem studs, tighten it all the way down, then tighten the stud itself down (not too hard though).

Also make sure they set the trem angle properly, Ibanez Edge's and LoPro's have the top of the trem plate angled, so the top of the trem should NOT be parallel with the body, a lot of people dont know this so the trems get set up incorrectly all the time.
It should look like this;

When you're tuning, you shouldn't just tune, then lock the nut and fine tune. Tune at the headstock(Tune E-e, A-B and D-G), lock the nut, then grab the trem arm and do some full dives and pull ups, finishing with a full dive and let the trem return to a neutral position. Unlock the nut, re-tune, lock the nut and then fine tune E to e.

I'll try doing that.

By the way, what are the trem studs, and where are they?
I think I just ****ed it up more by trying to fix it.

I'm taking it back to get fixed. I'm really damn pissed off now.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 20, 2010,