BC Rich
2 4%
ESP
31 69%
Squire
12 27%
Voters: 45.
Page 1 of 2
I really like these 3 basses, I can't afford them all so I need to chose one. Whats the best for a really thrashy Frank Bello, D.D Verni type sound? (I use fingers to play)

1. BC Rich Warlock Revenge

2. ESP Explorer Bass

3. Squire MB4 Skull Bass
Quote by NitsCo
You are quite unsophisticated.

Quote by beadhangingOne
Jesus Hitler? Haha, I can only imagine.

"Jew unto others as you would have them Jew unto you."

http://www.last.fm/user/Infected1994
Being pointy or having skulls on it does not make it a good thrash bass. Out of those three, the Squier is the best, but its a pretty mediocre starter bass tbh.

What's your budget? Because you can do a lot better than all 3 of those.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you want Frank Bello's sound get a Squier VM Jazz and just hit it hard.
Having said that I didn't vote on any of those options.
Quote by shmbluh12
If you want Frank Bello's sound get a Squier VM Jazz and just hit it hard.
Having said that I didn't vote on any of those options.

and that ampeg growl is needed aswell his tone is the dogs bollocks tho.

I would say get something your comfortable with and does its job well.VM P's or J's are good thrash bass's imho.

And if that BC is anything like mine it neck dives more than god knows what
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Uh, Squier Frank Bello sig if you're THAT into him.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I would get the explorer out of the three options there....wait, i've already got one! I personally think that it's a really good bass and you'll be really surprised at how versatile it is in terms of which tone you can get from it. I can get an awesome thrash attack sound from it and if you want to play some funk or slap, then it's easy to get the relevant tones too. I played it before I bought it and I still have no regrets to this day. On the downside, it neck-dives like a bitch and is quite heavy, but the weight shouldn't bother you if you get a wide strap. You really have to try each one before you buy it cos everyone has their own playing style and you might not feel comfortable with any of those. Let me know if you want any more info on the ESP-ltd
If your looking for a cheaper thrash bass then a jackson is probably a good way to go. The compound radius fingerboard is worth the price.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-C20-Concert-Bass?sku=520311
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
My budget is about $600 - $700, I've played the BC Rich and the Squire at a shop but I didn't have time to **** around with the tone etc. but I loved playing the BC, the Squire sounded pretty good but it didn't play so well. As for the ESP, I saw a vid on YouTube of some dude playing one and it sounded really cool so I was kinda torn between the 3.
I have an Epiphone Thunderbird at the moment but I'm probably gunna sell it.
Quote by NitsCo

Quote by beadhangingOne

Well, you can't really accurately judge the tone of an instrument just by watching a video of someone playing it considering there's amplification and etc. to factor in as well.

I'd recommend the Squier VM Jazz/Precision personally.
Quote by Casketcreep
I thought it did.

I suppose if you're throwing, then points are a plus

TS, if you have $600-$700 to spend, why are you looking at B.C. Rich, LTD, and Squier? Are you willing to go used? Because you can do a lot with that budget, you really do have a lot of options.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I suppose if you're throwing, then points are a plus

TS, if you have $600-$700 to spend, why are you looking at B.C. Rich, LTD, and Squier? Are you willing to go used? Because you can do a lot with that budget, you really do have a lot of options.

on tat budget you could get a used spector or a very very nice ibby
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Don't go for looks in a bass. Go for tone. P-Bass are my favorite for their tone, I find them very useful for anything from pop to hardcore. Jackson's Bettie is a really good bass for fast playing, smooth satin finish necks help with hand movements in my option, and a nice tone too. I'm picking one up after my American P./
Please read what I said, I'm looking for a bass that would sound best in thrash metal, not hardcore or whatever.
I'm leaning toward the BC Rich or the ESP, can anyone tell me pros & cons of those to basses?
Quote by NitsCo

Quote by beadhangingOne

Quote by Metal_NZ_FTW
Please read what I said, I'm looking for a bass that would sound best in thrash metal, not hardcore or whatever.
I'm leaning toward the BC Rich or the ESP, can anyone tell me pros & cons of those to basses?

BC Rich;

Pros: Nobody will steal it at gigs.
Cons: Probably a plywood body with a sticker on top, crappy tone, crappy pups, and crappy hardware, they look awful.

ESP;

Pros: If you really have to have a bass with a silly shape at least Explorers are cool, much more reputable brand than BC Rich, will probably sound passable too.
Cons: Explorer basses are massive in person (I used to own an 80s Gibson one ages ago) and as such finding a case for them isn't easy.
Quote by Casketcreep
I thought it did.
The bass isn't really a prominent instrument in thrash.

You listen to the wrong thrash. There are plenty where the bass gets right up in your face and then rips it off and sets it on fire.
Quote by Metal_NZ_FTW

BC Rich: overall opinion. NO.
Pros: Stands out in a crowd. (if you like ridiculous spikes)
Cons: Crappy pickups. Neck dive. Breaks easily. Thick necks.

ESP: overall opinion, YES.
Pros: Well balanced bodies, decent pickups (not the greatest, but more than good enough to punch you through the mix during a gig) thin, playable necks (not ibanez level thinness) good looks
Cons: No immediate issues that I can think of.
Quote by sbinlb
stay away from bc rich and not all squires are good imo

hold on a minute, i've played tons of great bc rich basses!
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I'm thinking I'll probably get the ESP.
What about any other basses you might recommend that aren't on the poll?
Quote by NitsCo

Quote by beadhangingOne

None of these are a step up from your Thunderbird. Save your money for now, keep an eye out for a bargain used and buy a new bass when you have a bit more money.
Quote by TheTortured
hold on a minute, i've played tons of great bc rich basses!

high end ones yay low end ones nay
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Just don't go for looks, I did it once, I regreated it. Got a P-bass awhile back and haven't had a complaint about the playablity or tone.
Quote by Metal_NZ_FTW
I'm thinking I'll probably get the ESP.
What about any other basses you might recommend that aren't on the poll?

Trabens are GREAT. They feel amazing, and with all the different EQ knobs, you can get almost any kind of sound you want. Traben basses are "famous" for being the premier bass for metal or funk.

Man, I could advertise for them.

Ibanez is really nice too. But I still like ESP better than any ibby I've ever played.
Quote by SMbassist
Trabens are GREAT. They feel amazing, and with all the different EQ knobs, you can get almost any kind of sound you want. Traben basses are "famous" for being the premier bass for metal or funk.

Man, I could advertise for them.

Ibanez is really nice too. But I still like ESP better than any ibby I've ever played.

I wouldn't really say they're too famous, or the premier basses for anything in particular, you don't really see too many Trabens around. However, being a Traben owner myself, I can't say enough good things about them, they're hard to beat in terms of quality in the <$500 category. You just have to get over the looks.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Had a look at a Traben on google, and I think they look pretty good really.
Pro's and cons?
Quote by NitsCo

Quote by beadhangingOne

Quote by Metal_NZ_FTW
Had a look at a Traben on google, and I think they look pretty good really.
Pro's and cons?

Traben's are great value basses, great quality, good features, and a relatively low price. They use decent woods, sometimes you get a nice fancy top depending on the model, active eq's, the higher end ones I believe have Rockfield pups, and on some of the mid/higher end ones are even neck-through. I've found the quality to be consistent from model to model as well, QC is Ibanez-like in that you'll rarely find a lemon.

There are a few drawbacks, but they're mostly related to personal taste:
- The body shapes (especially on the Array series) can feel awkward to some people.
- The big bridges are admittedly tacky as all hell
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by SMbassist
You listen to the wrong thrash. There are plenty where the bass gets right up in your face and then rips it off and sets it on fire.

I am aware that there is a wealth of thrash bands with prominent bass. Although on the whole, as a genre, the bass is definitely not a primary instrument.
I'm not trying to start a flame war, It's just an observation.
^ If you're not gunna have any decent input into the actual topic then leave please.

Quote by Tostitos
Traben's are great value basses, great quality, good features, and a relatively low price. They use decent woods, sometimes you get a nice fancy top depending on the model, active eq's, the higher end ones I believe have Rockfield pups, and on some of the mid/higher end ones are even neck-through. I've found the quality to be consistent from model to model as well, QC is Ibanez-like in that you'll rarely find a lemon.

There are a few drawbacks, but they're mostly related to personal taste:
- The body shapes (especially on the Array series) can feel awkward to some people.
- The big bridges are admittedly tacky as all hell

Yeah, the bridges are kinda lame :p.
I don't mind the shape on the Array basses, what would you reccommend from the entire Traben range?
Quote by NitsCo

Quote by beadhangingOne

^ Well probably the best from the Array line are the Array Attack and Obsession, with the NT and Limited being more mid-level, while the standard Array is the lowest in that line.

You can't really go wrong with any of the Chaos series basses, the Chaos is the base model, but the Attack, Limited, Core, and Obsession are basically just different variations off the base Chaos.

The Phoenix and Neo's aren't too common, and you probably won't see them much unless you browse ebay or craigslist. I'd recommend going for a higher end Chaos or Array like an Attack or Obsession, or if you're having issues finding them, I believe the Chaos Core and the Array Limited are the most widely available.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I like the Array special the best. Is it hard to find?
Also, what's everyones opinions on an Ibanez Iceman?
Quote by NitsCo

Quote by beadhangingOne

Frank Bello uses a PJ set and hits the strings hard.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Page 1 of 2