I play bass in a band.

And, I'm going to ask my band mates if I could switch places and play the guitar for one song.

Now, I'm probably going to sound like a jerk when I say this, but I am better at guitar than both the guitarists in the band.

I only want to play one song on the guitar, and that's it.

Is that crossing the line or just too much to ask from them?

MC name = Bearrorism
nah. you should have a good enough relationship with your bandmates that they won't mind it. I think thats the problem with most bands today. They're not like families. Families won't mind if you wanna toot around on a 6 string every now and then.
It shouldn't be a big deal, but keep in my mind the logistics of switching instruments live and what a pain it can be.
should be fine just dont say

"im playing guitar on one song because im better than both of you, now give me your instrument."
Yeah I don't want to force them out of their position or anything like that, just play one song

MC name = Bearrorism
regardless of how it affects your band's chemistry, to do this on stage makes your group appear unorganized and amateurish. either switch to guitar, get new guitarists, but don't to the audience this makes your band look very unprofessional.

sad but true.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
regardless of how it affects your band's chemistry, to do this on stage makes your group appear unorganized and amateurish. either switch to guitar, get new guitarists, but don't to the audience this makes your band look very unprofessional.

sad but true.

I really disagree...

I was at a show recently, and midway through the set, the guitar player moved to bass, the bassist to drums, and the drummer to guitar. Now not exactly the same situation as this, but it was really cool.

Oh, and Paul Simonon and Joe Strummer of The Clash would trade instruments to play "Guns of Brixton."
Quote by fastlanestoner

sad but true.

I've seen very professional bands switch it up like that. The bass player will play acoustic, the singer/guitarist will play bass so the bass player can play guitar.
Quote by fastlanestoner

sad but true.

I'll disagree too. There's nothing wrong with changing instruments during a set, as long as it helps the song.

Just try guitar on one of the songs, and hopefully one of the other guitarists can jump on the bass for that song. That should be fine. I don't see how it's "crossing the line" really.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Two ways to approach this really well diplomatically.

1) write a song on guitar and ask if you can play it. Make sure this song is great, otherwise they'll dismiss the song and you as a guitarist

2) bring in a cover you know they like and will want to do and ask if you can play guitar on it.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave

2) bring in a cover you know they like and will want to do and ask if you can play guitar on it.

The song I want to do the guitar on is a cover song, one I brought up today actually

MC name = Bearrorism
One of the bands I'm working with does this during their shows. it's a three piece and both the guitarist and "bassist" can play both very proficiently. So during the show, they have a short 30 second instrumental where they will run back and forth on stage until eventually they come together (straps of the guitars off their shoulders) and then swing the guitar and bass over the others shoulder and the switch is made. Then they continue playing the rest of the set. Both are guitar players and so they compromised and each gets half the set to play guitar.

Incorporate it into the performance like that if possible.
In one of my bands, I wasn't the best guitar player. I can play bass reasonably well, and don't mind doing it. The thing was, I could sing and play guitar, but I couldn't sing and play bass. The other guy couldn't sing at all, so he played bass. Yes, it really is about accentuating your collective strengths, and managing your collective weaknesses.

That means everyone needs to cooperate, and honestly evaluate your band as a whole.

If you aren't ego trippin', and it makes sense to do it, trade instruments, no big deal. The audience couldn't care less, who is playing what. They are there to be entertained. How you do it is up to you.
Quote by chokmool
If you aren't ego trippin', and it makes sense to do it, trade instruments, no big deal. The audience couldn't care less, who is playing what. They are there to be entertained. How you do it is up to you.

That's very true. The audience couldn't give a crap what you play. The age of the "guitarist rock star" is over. If you really need to get attention, learn to sing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
This sounds like a fairly normal thing to do, really, here's a good example, the one in the cowboy hat is the band's bassist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLUly0fi5z0&feature=related

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with admitting that you're better than the bands guitarists, I could name plenty of bands for who this is the case, it kinda annoys me how people assume that you're only playing bass because you weren't good enough to play guitar, I'm assuming you either enjoy playing bass or the other two guitarists just work well together, no big deal really

If your bandmates do have a big problem with this, then they're typical egotistical arsehole guitarists. They shouldn't have a problem with it, so go for it
I'll have to disagree as well with the statement that instrument switching is amatuerish. I am part of a three piece that changes instruments every couple of songs, it's our thing. A show I recently played at had another band that changed up instruments a few times throughout their set. I see nothing wrong with that aspect.

As far as asking them? Go for it! Music is all about collective creativity, and if you think you can do something new and creative on guitar talk to your guys about it and they'll understand.
As this thread has proven, some will see it as amateur, some won't.

All you need to do is prove it isn't an amateur move by playing the song well.
We were planning on doing this for a track in my band, but I'm like a foot taller than the bassist so it was a bit amusing strap height wise.
Plus the only reason we were going to do that is cos I hadn't learnt the song on guitar >_>

Either way, I always think it looks pretty cool, though mainly if it's a "nightmare cinema" type thing where all the members go to a different instrument.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. If the guitarists in your band can't play it then maybe it's time to get new guitarists but I wouldn't feel too happy if I were one of the guitarist and I got side-lined during a gig. It may look a little unprofessional but that's not what I would be thinking about to be honest.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
Personally, I wouldn't do it. If the guitarists in your band can't play it then maybe it's time to get new guitarists but I wouldn't feel too happy if I were one of the guitarist and I got side-lined during a gig. It may look a little unprofessional but that's not what I would be thinking about to be honest.

"Side-lined"?

If this guy is thinking he can bring some talent to the table on guitar, isn't he being "side-lined" by not being able to do it?
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
Quote by isabiggles

I would say it all depends on the personality and egos of the guitarists. In the video I posted above, the bands lead guitarist was offstage while the rhythm guitarist and bassist played guitar, he could handle it and I certainly could but there are probably more egotistical guitarists out there who couldn't

I would say it shows versatility and talent rather than a lack of professionalism anyway.
Quote by fastlanestoner

sad but true.

Considering the sheer amount of multi=instrumentalists around, I'd say this is flat out wrong.
the coolest thing ive ever seen was from when the koffin kats switched their instruments live, twice as badass because they switched upright bass and guitar
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
"Side-lined"?

If this guy is thinking he can bring some talent to the table on guitar, isn't he being "side-lined" by not being able to do it?

No, he's the bassist. It's his job to be the bassist and if he thinks he'd be better as the guitarist then he ought to permanently switch imo.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
No, he's the bassist. It's his job to be the bassist and if he thinks he'd be better as the guitarist then he ought to permanently switch imo.

You're running off of a black & white perspective, which is okay for some decisions, but if the bassist is better at guitar, it doesn't mean he NEEDS to be the guitarist... A lot factors go into the lineup of a start-up band, like who has what gear/ preference.

I say go for it, and if they disagree, look up examples and show them it can work. ****, I'm a little better (i.e., more knowledgeable and more versed in improvising) at both bass and guitar than our bassist and our other guitarist, but we keep an even level of who plays lead versus rhythm, and I play bass for 2 of the 4 songs we have in our set (we have long songs).
Man, they should be sweet with it.

I have no doubt at all that if I wanted to swap instruments with the guitarist in my band, he'd be cool with it for a few songs, then again, he already knows I can play guitar, which is a different situation to yours, but not really, 'cuz you can just pull out a guitar and say "hey, lets cover this song" and start playing it.
Done.

I'm a big fan of having multi-instrumentalists in the band, and having this talent out on display, if you all practice it enough, should be sweet.
i think its fine. I have seen a couple bands do this, a local band's bass player plays acoustic for a song while the lead guitar player and drummer did something with two guitars in the background. like guitar tech stuff. They had a song in a different tuning at the end, so they adjusted gear then to keep the flow going.

also I think it was los lonely boys, not sure, who had the bass player player guitar for a song, while his brother played bass.

in my band Im gonna play drums for a song while my drummer sings and my bass player gets to jam out on bass with a loosely structured part.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by rasveer
the coolest thing ive ever seen was from when the koffin kats switched their instruments live, twice as badass because they switched upright bass and guitar

this, I forgot about them. playing upright behind your head makes you a champion in my book
no sir away a papaya war is on