I can't decide between a closed back and an open back. I would want a nice, focused sound, so it looks like closed back is the winner. The thing I worry about is that the sound will be too "beamy" and will sound way too icepicky, which my current guitar/amp has SERIOUS problems with. The last thing I want to do is make people's ears bleed. My idea is to get one of these bad boys...

http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

... along with a closed back so it's focused and clear, but not icepicky. My question is, would it work and be the best of both worlds? Any experiences with beam blockers?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
I can't decide between a closed back and an open back. I would want a nice, focused sound, so it looks like closed back is the winner. The thing I worry about is that the sound will be too "beamy" and will sound way too icepicky, which my current guitar/amp has SERIOUS problems with. The last thing I want to do is make people's ears bleed. My idea is to get one of these bad boys...

... along with a closed back so it's focused and clear, but not icepicky. My question is, would it work and be the best of both worlds? Any experiences with beam blockers?

not quite 'best of both worlds' as your aren't getting the volume you get from open backs, but it will disperse the sound the way you want.

was actually gonna link those weber things, i see you already did that. THD uses them for some cabs too as well i think.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I recently switched to Celestion V30s while building a 2X12 cab for my Triamp, and I found that for my setup, an 1/3 open back was much more to my liking. Some people claim a closed back is the only way to go with V30s, but I didn't particularly like the closed back I originally incorporated. Perhaps it was the construction of the cab, or the speakers themselves, which are 10 year old UK-made V30s, so they are certainly broken in and matured.

My advice is to try out both with your setup. The open back may not be as "unfocused" as you'd expect.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Avatar also does convertible cabs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by bingeandletgo

A good 4x12 will sound just fine with no need for a "beam blocker". Those things are basically snake oil. If an amp's too bright, turn down the treble/presence.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.