Do they make such strings? Like stainless steel plain strings? My fingers sweat lots and I hate constantly wiping my strings which after a while doesn't help. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: so yeah stainless wouldn't work, Anyone know about d'addario EXPs?
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 20, 2010,
All strings rust mate. It's a vicious circle of shenanigans that guitarists will never escape.

Kind of.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
All strings will rust eventually.
You could try wiping your strings after you play every time.
And then when you change strings wipe down the fretboard with lemon oil.
Coated strings are probably your best bet for now though. I'd recommend DR.
Another question: Are Dean Markley blue steels coated?
(PM Me.)
Quote by connorhxcchaos
All strings will rust eventually.
You could try wiping your strings after you play every time.
And then when you change strings wipe down the fretboard with lemon oil.
Coated strings are probably your best bet for now though. I'd recommend DR.

It honestly looks like you read his post, and purposely disregarded everything he said in it. Seems like an impossible coincidence that you hit on all the things he said he already does.

Anyway, yeah man. There's no real solution to this. If you managed to find stainless steel strings, they'd either be outrageously expensive, or sound like utter garbage... or both.

Even then, they'd eventually wear due to bending and pick attack. They'd get dull-sounding just like any other strings.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
I didn't ignore it, I was gonna edit my post and ask if anyone had experience with d'addario EXP's
(PM Me.)
no you guys it's a riddle...

nylon strings right?

Quote by evhbrianmay
Another question: Are Dean Markley blue steels coated?

blue steels are just cryogenicallly treated during the process at some time, i don't remember a coating.

edit: stainless alloys aren't usually ferromagnetic unfortunately, also a bit more expensive to make.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Oh didn't know about them not being magnetic, so that wouldn't work!
(PM Me.)
i heard there are a few alloys of SS that are, but usually they aren't.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
So, also are the top strings on the coated GHS's coated?

The infinity steels?
(PM Me.)
daddario exps are great, they just cost more. if thats not an issue for you id highly recommend them.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Maybe you should just start buying shop packs of strings and switch to grover locking tuners so that string changes are quick and easy. And have you tried wearing wristbands to soak up sweat dripping down from your arms?
I have not tried the wristbands idea but thanks for the suggestion! I guess I will, and has anyone compared the tone of D'addario exp to elixers? is one brighter?
(PM Me.)
Quote by Ignite
My strings never rust.... I keep them on for months at a time too.

I have a friend who has had the same strings on for 6 months and just yesterday changed them :O

Thats crazy!!!!!

yeah my strings last about 2-3 weeks even though I wipe 'em when I'm not playing
(PM Me.)
Quote by Ignite
My strings never rust.... I keep them on for months at a time too.

yea same haha i guess we are both set then
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
when i bought my first guitar it was a fender stratocaster, now i dont know about the stanless steel strings by the stratocaster had superbullet string wich lasted a year before the broke.

GEAR:
Jackson JS30WR Warrior
Fender Frontman 15G
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Zoom G1 Multieffect Peddle
Depends how sweaty your hands get too. My buddy went 1 year before changing strings yet I can't go 2 months. Just use your shirt or something to give the neck a quick wipe before putting it down.

Also in case you were wondering Dean Markley Blue Steel strings don't last any longer that Ive noticed. I only use Dean Marley so it's either those or NickleSteel and they seem to be very same-y.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I have a workshop in which I keep a couple of guitars to jam on when I am out there. The space is not consistantly heated (I use space heaters if I need them), so the guitars are subject to all the normal dampness, plus condensation when I put the heaters on.

I describe all this, because neither guitar out there has developed rust on the strings (and I don't bother to change those ones; one set is getting on two years old). What I happen to use on then occasionally is GHS Fastfret. It must leave some protection on the strings, because I'd assumed I'd be dealing with a lot of rust when I put the first one out there.

Its worth a try. Cost about $8 and lasts for months.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an

24-carat gold plated, they really do take a lot longer to corrode than normal strings if you've got particularly reactive skin chemistry. They also feel much nicer than Elixirs.
THE BRIAN MAY STRINGS XD
But last time I checked those cost like 25 bucks :/
(PM Me.)
I put some DR black beauties on my strat. They are just basically colored coated strings. Put them on just for the hell of it. Probably should have got the red ones as the back ones just disappeared into my rosewood fretboard. Also they just don't seem to have the same sound as the DR pure blues I usually have on it. It's like the sustain dies out just a noticeable fraction earlier. Why did I go to a coated string? I don't play that often and the DR pure blues rust just sitting in the stand. I got some fast fret string cleaner for the DR pure blues I'll go back to after the colored ones wear out. As often as I play I expect a set of strings to last me 4 months or so.
I play Dean Markley Blue Steels and wipe them down with rag sprayed with WD-40 before and after playing.
Quote by CM_X5
Depends how sweaty your hands get too. My buddy went 1 year before changing strings yet I can't go 2 months. Just use your shirt or something to give the neck a quick wipe before putting it down.

Also in case you were wondering Dean Markley Blue Steel strings don't last any longer that Ive noticed. I only use Dean Marley so it's either those or NickleSteel and they seem to be very same-y.

I don't change my strings until like a year later either but that's because I don't have the money right now to change constantly.

I should probably get those coated Ernie Ball strings.
Quote by Linqua5150
daddario exps are great, they just cost more. if thats not an issue for you id highly recommend them.

^This. Yes. I sweat like a mofo, and my strings don't rust for at least two months with regular use. Sometimes even longer.