Heya, folks. Just finished up the rough draft of a new song, "Moving Forward." I should have a mixed version up in the next few days, but I was eager to get some feedback on what I've got so far!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Odirunn/music/all/play897754

As always, will c4c. Have a good one!

New s2.0 mix with bass:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Odirunn/music/all/play899296
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Sep 24, 2010,
I really like the general mood of the melody, the way it develops and the ideas you execute through it are simple yet expressive, the mix blends in pretty well together, it's surprising since you mentioned this wasn't the mastered mixed version,
perhaps you can give some input in how make mine to blend so well together as yours.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363460
Pretty nice. I liked the way you layered the sound - all the melodies and riffs work together at the same time without being confusing. Could use some more cohensiveness, though - sometimes it gets the feeling of a bunch of riffs put after each other, so to say.
Quote by Nashag
Pretty nice. I liked the way you layered the sound - all the melodies and riffs work together at the same time without being confusing. Could use some more cohensiveness, though - sometimes it gets the feeling of a bunch of riffs put after each other, so to say.

Yeah, I didn't really do any drum fills or work on transitions at all, just put all my riffs together, as you said, to get my general ideas across. When I get the new version up ideally everything will flow a lot smoother! Thanks for your input!
Let's party.
sounds cool dude, everything sounds like it comes along together. for the mixed version I'd recommend just the start to have the master fader a bit until the drums come in full on so there will be a bigger push from everything so its more dramatic.

everything sounds clean and crisp too! are they using some sort of guitar modeler (guitar rig) and programmed drums (drum kit from hell)?

as the song progresses maybe bring in a soft synth that JUST sits underneath the guitars to just give the song and help build it as it goes along, it does that with the harmonising guitars around 2/3 of the way through the song, but I feel like that can be developed further more.

it sounds like a good thing song to start mixing from, everything sounds well engineered.
First thought when I started listening to this was 'Ooh Blood Stain Child!' It sounds like there's a very very nice guitar tone there somewhere, and a bit of EQing will really bring that out. In terms of songwriting, this is very good - in my opinion, the sections flow nicely into one another. Just some vocals would help the cohesiveness if you ask me - because vocals tend to stay sounding similar to some extent I find they often tie the piece up into a complete package.

Not really that much to say here as you haven't started mixing yet, but it sounds like you have a very good base to start from, and the recording stage has clearly been well executed. I'll be interested to hear the finished version!
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
@Hadeed: I did what you suggested with the intro and it does give it a much nicer, full sound when everything kicks in from the initial fade.

The guitars are modeled with Line 6 POD farm and drums are mostly DFH.

I just finished the first mix after adding in a bass part, this is my first time mixing with bass so hopefully it didn't turn out too bad. I don't have monitors, only speakers with a sub or headphones with a bass booster, both of which are less than ideal for mixing bass in this situation haha. It sounds like the rhythm guitars are losing a bit of their crisp and definition which I'm having trouble EQing back, but it's a work in progress. Lemme know what you think!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Odirunn/music/all/play899296
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Sep 24, 2010,
Really liking the start. Great kick-off! The ugly DFH gives it an industrial feel which doesn't fit the song that much (although at some points it's quite cool). The snare drum sounds a little fake because of the two fast and hard hits that loops through the song. It brings out that DFH has no dynamics... The riffs are great and all the transitons are well thought out. I liked the whole composition. Great job!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by BlisteringDDj
Really liking the start. Great kick-off! The ugly DFH gives it an industrial feel which doesn't fit the song that much (although at some points it's quite cool). The snare drum sounds a little fake because of the two fast and hard hits that loops through the song. It brings out that DFH has no dynamics... The riffs are great and all the transitons are well thought out. I liked the whole composition. Great job!

I know what you mean about DFH, I just put up a new mix with s2.0 and got rid of the DFH one. I think it sounds a lot better and more natural, but I'm having trouble getting the snare to pop just right. I also fixed that blatant loop with the snare hits, I'd forgotten to go adjust those velocities to be ghosts, whoops!
Let's party.
Thanks for the crit.,

I'm listening to New s2.0 mix with bass:

I like the whole song up until about 1.05. The riff you go back into makes it sound repetitive and I got a bit bored with it there. Maybe vocals there would change my opinion though. Really cool song, the guitar seems a bit repetitive as well. Don't get me wrong. It's a cool riff but even when you change it around it sounds similar.

Great little bridge bit around 2.55.
Other than being a bit repetitive it sounds great. Then again vocals could change that totally. Good work man.