i currently have a spider 2 or 3, 30w and its 6 years old, and bad lol. i hate it. im getting a new amp and ive now included 2 in my list, which one of these is better??? the Peavey Vypr tube 60W or the Line6 Valve 112 40W amps? i need something that will have kickass sound in my room with really heavy distortion and cleans. Lamb of God, Slayer, Pantera, i pretty much play music like that.....

thanks
why are you buying a tube amp for use in your room? the whole point of tube amp is that you need to crank them to sound good.
Ht-5
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by alexjg391
why are you buying a tube amp for use in your room? the whole point of tube amp is that you need to crank them to sound good.

1. That's a very outdated idea. The general idea is that they sound good even when played loud. However, most high-gain tube amps for metal etc don't need to be super cranked for good tone, as they don't require power amp distortion to get heavy

2. The Vypyr tube 60 and the Line6 Spider Valve are not tube amps.

As for my opinion, you should check out the new Line6 Spider Valve Mk2. It's supposedly very, very good. It just got a killer review on Guitarist magazine, and they said it responds a lot like an actual tube amp instead of a digital amp. Also, as far as I know, it has tubes in both the power amp and the preamp.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
well my peavey 6505 sounds pretty rubbish at low volumes, just fizz and no depth. I never turn the pre gain up past 5 or 6 on the lead channel, so that's not the reason.
Quote by alexjg391

Yeah... these aren't the 70's/80's anymore. Amps have master volume now. Most amps get their distortion from the pregain now, so volume isn't nearly as much of a factor anymore.

TS, of the two, I'd go with the Vypyr without asking questions. I'm a Peavey fanatic though, so figures. Besides that point though, they are very good amps. If you need to instantaneously go from metalcore distortion to Fender cleans, or anything in between, that's your amp. Just make sure you can pick up a Sanpera II at some point too though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by alexjg391
well my peavey 6505 sounds pretty rubbish at low volumes, just fizz and no depth. I never turn the pre gain up past 5 or 6 on the lead channel, so that's not the reason.

Well, IMO any amp sounds like farts when played too quiet, be it a 150W Mesa Triple Rec or a 15W Fender Frontman. I don't have to crank my 6262-212 to eardrum-shattering levels to get a good tone out, but then again, what I consider to be reasonably quiet might be a tad loud for someone else.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Tone is subjective. Play both and see which one you like best. More importantly, play both at the low volumes they will see the most use at and see which one sounds better.

Otherwise I'd likewise suggest the Blackstar HT-5.
Quote by alexjg391

unless he's literally playing at whisper volume, that's just not true. especially for brootz.

EDIT: i see you have a 6505... i thought it sounded ok at lowish volumes, but it does depend on exactly how low it has to be played, and also personal preference, what's "too fizzy" for one person is "fine" for someone else...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 20, 2010,
The best question yet really has been as to why you're looking at this wattage for bedroom levels. Not so much because of cranking it (you don't need to), but more because I hate to see people blow money on something they don't need to. Are you planning to gig in the relatively near future? If so you can keep the Spider until you've got enough for a decent tube combo. If not, go with a smaller tube amp or something.

If you're insisting on getting one of those two amps, I'd go with the Vypyr. The Spider valve series isn't terrible, but the Vypyr is still miles ahead of it, and right around the same price.
And for elitists, no, it isn't a full tube amp, but it does have a tube gain stage in it, so shove it.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
ah okies then. vypr it is. and as far as volume for my room goes, im alone until like 8, and i live out of the city limits