Page 1 of 2
playing guitar is my passion, and im pretty good. I am definately in the top 3 best guitarists at my school (not trying to brag), but just because i dont bring an acoustic guitar to school everyday, no one notices me as a musician. Ive played in front of the school a time or two before, but because I dont bring an acoustic, im over-looked. WTF!?
You play because its your passion and you enjoy it, not to get noticed by others.

/thread
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400
You play because its your passion, not to get noticed by others.

/thread

good point, but it would be nice to be recognized for my talent every once in a while
Quote by DethbyChocolate
good point, but it would be nice to be recognized for my talent every once in a while

Yeah, I know the feeling. I'll admit I've been there myself at times.

I learnt to do something for myself, not for others.

RIP Tom Searle.
so bring a guitar to school and look like a ****.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I have a great nose picking talent that no one ever appreciates
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Then play in front of the school?!

You want people to recognize you as a good guitar player but you won't play in front of them. Pretty simple problem and solution...
Quote by DethbyChocolate
playing guitar is my passion, and im pretty good. I am definately in the top 3 best guitarists at my school (not trying to brag), but just because i dont bring an acoustic guitar to school everyday, no one notices me as a musician. Ive played in front of the school a time or two before, but because I dont bring an acoustic, im over-looked. WTF!?

you aint been a bassist have you you get used to it.Besides its your passion enjoy it or you could get an acoustic and shred that *shrugs*
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by DethbyChocolate

Better point.

So bring one in or use the ones the school has, or just accept the small niche recognition you get from whatever else you do.
No one at my school knew I played music until I was in a band where the lead singer was a pretty popular kid.

No one really cared, they sometimes talked to me about it, but beyond that no.
what, are you 12? like, nice blog man.

try doing it for yourself. if you want your school to notice you, try to get involved in musical activities at your school and kick their asses with your guitarskills. whining over it on the internet isnt going to get you anywhere, man. just show'em what you can do.
Dude there were people when i was in high school who would bring guitars all the time, and people would see them play ALL the time, and they would be known for playing guitar, but then i'd come along and play in front of school like once or twice a year, and i was regarded as the best player at the school because i didn't shove it down their throats. Also, the people who brought their guitars every day spent their time playing "free fallin'" (im not bashing, i love that song, but still) for girls while i spent my time practicing, i was the best in my high school, because i practiced. I'm not bragging, it's the truth.

Now they're off being business majors at university, and i'm in my 3rd semester of my guitar major!

The high school shit does NOT matter. Don't sweat it buddy. Just keep practicing. Be the best you can be for YOURSELF, because that's what's gonna matter in the long run.
Last edited by Altitudinous at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by Razgriz_101
you aint been a bassist have you you get used to it

I'm a bassist and I'm known in my highschool as the badass bassist of the most popular band in my highscool (true story). All you got to do is to be cool, practice and melt faces when you play in front of your classmates or friends. But if you bring your acoustic to school, yeah, you'll become a douche.
Quote by Altitudinous
Dude there were people when i was in high school who would bring guitars all the time, and people would see them play ALL the time, and they would be known for playing guitar, but then i'd come along and play in front of school like once or twice a year, and i was regarded as the best player at the school because i didn't shove it down their throats. Also, the people who brought their guitars every day spent their time playing "free fallin'" (im not bashing, i love that song, but still) for girls while i spent my time practicing, i was the best in my high school, because i practiced. I'm not bragging, it's the truth.

Now they're off being business majors at university, and i'm in my 3rd semester of my guitar major!

The high school shit does NOT matter. Don't sweat it buddy. Just keep practicing. Be the best you can be for YOURSELF, because that's what's gonna matter in the long run.

what if i take my guitar(electric) to school and play in a room that is assigned for playing music?
Join the Guitar Religion
high school is only four years. it might seem like the world right now, but it ain't shit. instead of prostrating yourself in front of your peers, maybe get a band together and put up flyers around the school. your talent should speak for itself; the people that matter will notice.
Here's the thing. It's high school. What your classmates think does not matter. At all. It may seem like it, but trust me, it doesn't.

I used to think so as well. In fact, I probably sounded just like you. I haven't set foot in a high school in 13 years. And I haven't seen most of the kids since.

I graduated in 1997. If facebook has taught me anything, it's that the 'cool kids' never turn out to be someone as awesome as everyone thought they were.

Just being yourself will get you more recognition than being some super cool guitar kid. Besides, though they won't admit it, 90% of your schoolmates would probably rather go home and listen to their justin beiber records, anyway. Now... do you really care what they think?? Really/?? :P
Quote by Rvn
Here's the thing. It's high school. What your classmates think does not matter. At all. It may seem like it, but trust me, it doesn't.

I used to think so as well. In fact, I probably sounded just like you. I haven't set foot in a high school in 13 years. And I haven't seen most of the kids since.

I graduated in 1997. If facebook has taught me anything, it's that the 'cool kids' never turn out to be someone as awesome as everyone thought they were.

Just being yourself will get you more recognition than being some super cool guitar kid. Besides, though they won't admit it, 90% of your schoolmates would probably rather go home and listen to their justin beiber records, anyway. Now... do you really care what they think?? Really/?? :P

Haha...nice to see someone else in the over 30 club on UG. I, too, graduated from HS in 1997.

A couple things -- no one really cares how well you can play the guitar. They just want you to be able to play songs that they like well. So if you really want recognition, that's what you'll have to do. Second, as said above, who cares what those people think?
Hi, I'm Peter
This has probably be said already but the kid who brings guitar to school every day is seen as a twat. Don't be that kid.
I've been playing for 11 years now, I'm only 19 and my experience of playing in front of people is once when I filled in for a mate who couldn't play a high school gig (3 songs - all covers) and whenever someone happens to hear me jamming on my own somewhere.
Either find a band, or use youtube to get noticed. Look at justin beiber
Well IMO...
All this cheap popularity in school is not worth it...
You're only lowering yourself with the other "acoustic douches" for just the popularity... not worth it...
Make it a point to become more comfortable without being acknowledged; at that point, you will likely become more prolific, more original.. You'll get noticed.

In fact, being a successful musician will make those kids want to put their $200 Alvarezes and Fender Thin picks in a very, very deep closet.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Quote by nemesis_911
Well IMO...
All this cheap popularity in school is not worth it...
You're only lowering yourself with the other "acoustic douches" for just the popularity... not worth it...

Who cares about everyone? So long as your friends and your girlfriend know, who gives a shit?
everyone hates the annoying **** who brings his acoustic to school.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by DethbyChocolate

It's not a case of them not noticing you, it's a case of them noticing someone else more than you.

If you want a career in music, especialy if you want to be famous, take this as a lesson. In general, the less you do to get noticed, the less you'll be noticed because there's always someone else that people will flock to see if you aren't doing much.

Check out the current trends for instance, those that seem to be constantly on TV are generaly those who have either new work released, are currently touring or are in the news for some other reason, while those that are 'taking a break' get practicaly no coverage.

It's a simple equasion. If you want to be noticed, do something to be noticed for.
If you don't want to be noticed then don't do anything to draw attention to yourself.
I might be in the top 10 for guitarists in my school, maybe 5 but I've been play pretty badly lately, and I know more theory then most of them, but I don't really care that I'm considered a noob since I don't like all of the bring me the horizon crap or play horrible covers of john mayer and jack johnson. I just play because I like to and everyone else can get screwed

If you want to get noticed just play shit music in front of everyone else
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
i've never known someone to bring an acoustic to school. Unless it's for a music lesson or something.

I swear people live on a different planet to me.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Fiddly Diddly69
I might be in the top 10 for guitarists in my school, maybe 5 but I've been play pretty badly lately, and I know more theory then most of them, but I don't really care that I'm considered a noob since I don't like all of the bring me the horizon crap or play horrible covers of john mayer and jack johnson. I just play because I like to and everyone else can get screwed

If you want to get noticed just play shit music in front of everyone else

Because only the music you like is not shit.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
All i got from reading the OP is since you're the only one that isn't a douche bag, you don't get noticed.
That's how it goes in this world.

That isn't how it goes. That isn't how it goes at all.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
It's how it works. Bring the acoustic to school, play some simple songs that the ladies will dig, whether you like them or not (I.E. Living On A Prayer, Wonderfall, Don't Stop Believing, Firefly, More Than A Feeling, Sweet Child O Mine- you get the picture). Then you'll have ladies, and all the recognition you need. Non-guitarists don't care if you can shred, if they hear a song they know, however simple it is, they'll go crazy.
Good luck, bro.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Quote by SlackerBabbath

It's a simple equasion. If you want to be noticed, do something to be noticed for.

I agree with Slacker.
Set yourself on fire.

Seriously. Play because you want to play. If you want to get popular and noticed, playing infront of the school a couple of times isnt going to turn you into Zak Efron.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Really? Acoustic = Douch? I get the feeling that half of you are just jealous.

Don't go looking for attention, if you have any sort of ability then it will reflect upon yourself.

Of course, a gimmick helps. One time I brought my twelve-string because I was going busking after school, everyone was amazed that I could play "two guitars". Not only that, but I am a fairly impressive finger picker.

I probably come across as a douche, but so be it. I tend to stay away from the cliche songs whenever I am playing in front of other people. Some Conchords, Bright Eyes, or Nick Drake typically.
Quote by JacobTheMe

I probably come across as a douche, but so be it. I tend to stay away from the cliche songs whenever I am playing in front of other people. Some Conchords, Bright Eyes, or Nick Drake typically.

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
So what you are trying to say is that you want attention? Why not just wear a shirt with big letters that read: I'M A MUSICIAN! NOTICE ME!

But then again, still no one will care. Musicians aren't exactly a rare breed.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SlackerBabbath
It's not a case of them not noticing you, it's a case of them noticing someone else more than you.

If you want a career in music, especialy if you want to be famous, take this as a lesson. In general, the less you do to get noticed, the less you'll be noticed because there's always someone else that people will flock to see if you aren't doing much.

Check out the current trends for instance, those that seem to be constantly on TV are generaly those who have either new work released, are currently touring or are in the news for some other reason, while those that are 'taking a break' get practicaly no coverage.

If you don't want to be noticed then don't do anything to draw attention to yourself.

No. There's a time and place for that, which is not at school.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by that guy again
Then bring an acoustic to school, bang chicks, get recognition. Simple

/Thread again

I advise against being a guitar d-bag, TS. Besides, isn't guitar for you? Play at the school talent show. Or form a band and do shows at people's parties.

But please don't become one of those people who plays an acoustic so all the chicks notice him. Those guys are an insult to music.

Quote by Xiaoxi
No. There's a time and place for that, which is not at school.
I agree with this actually. Be noticed for guitar playing outside of school. Besides, more people may know your a musician than you think, TS.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 20, 2010,
Page 1 of 2