I would like to know what the differences are between the EL34s and the 6L6GC power tubes. The reason being is that if/when I do ever happen to get a tube amplifier I want to give it a sort of muddy/oversaturated tone like Dark Angel. I've been drooling over the Fireball 100W but I want something a little cheaper that'll come close to that kind of punch. Also, compared to the Fireball, how good is the Screamer?
EL34 - crunchy, more in the upper mids, generally a more vintage sounding distortion.
6L6 - punchy, more in the lower mids, generally a more modern sounding distortion.

If you're looking for the muddy, oversaturated tone you'll probably want to look more at the 6L6s. Can't comment on the ENGLs.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
i haven't tried the new 100 watt fireball, but the old one was better at brootz than the screamer, but the screamer was a lot more versatile. The new fireball is supposed to be better, and a bit more versatile (i think), so...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DrNick
EL34 - crunchy, more in the upper mids, generally a more vintage sounding distortion.
6L6 - punchy, more in the lower mids, generally a more modern sounding distortion.

If you're looking for the muddy, oversaturated tone you'll probably want to look more at the 6L6s. Can't comment on the ENGLs.

Any chance I could replace the Marshall tubes for the 6L6s or am I SOL and need the ENGL?
Don't worry so much about tubes. The design of the amp will affect sound way more than the tubes so you can't really say x tube sounds like y.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Changing tube types isn't possible unless the amp allows for it from the factory, or unless you do some serious modding work.

What Marshall do you have? If you really aren't crazy about the Marshall crunch, you could always sell it and put that money towards an ENGL or another amp with a more modern-sounding tone.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
you could always swap in a KT77 for the EL34.

it essentially combines both the EL34 and 6L6.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
The thing is I want like a..Dark Angel tone. Either the tone from DD or the tone they have live (Odeon 1989 comes to mind) and I know they used Marshalls but the ENGLs really caught my ears. All in all I'm looking for more than just those two that can give that kind of..saturated tone. I'll look into the KT77s since you brought them up and I'm not sure about the 6505s