i'm talking fastest necks, lowest action, and things of that nature.
and maybe all around shred equipment, strings, picks and what have you.
any advice is appreciated, a budget minded concieous is also appreciated :p
Ibanez makes some nice ''shred'' guitars too.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
The best guitar for shred is the guitar that fits best in your hands.

Seriously. There is no answer to your question. Some shredders shred on Ibanez guitars, some on Gibsons. Their shapes are night and day. The guitar doesn't matter, only how the guitar fits in your hand.

Get to the store and answer your own question. Get the most comfortable one you can find, and if you still can't, then it's your lack of skill that's the problem.

Harsh but true, friend.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There's no such thing as fast neck. If a neck is thin, it only means it's made for people who have small hands. Also, you can shred with any guitar really. Just look at all the shredders - they use all kinds of guitars. It's just a matter of preference. I'd suggest going to your local store and playing different types of guitars and deciding, which one you like the most.
Quote by rooster456
There is so much wrong with this thread...

This...

Ultimately it comes down to your skill, not what guitar you're playing.
If you don't like the way you sound now - it's two things: either your amp or your playing.
Ibanez
Jackson
Carvin
Gibson
Fender
Schecter
Parker
MusicMan

Dude, you use whatever works for you!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by Stratwizard
There's no such thing as fast neck. If a neck is thin, it only means it's made for people who have small hands. Also, you can shred with any guitar really. Just look at all the shredders - they use all kinds of guitars. It's just a matter of preference. I'd suggest going to your local store and playing different types of guitars and deciding, which one you like the most.

Not really.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My tele is not a shred guitar, but it's great for shredding strangely. Find something you like feel wise, but it has to be a good neck to shred well. Jumbo frets are not really essential IMO.
Quote by Stratwizard

Jems have wizard II necks. Vai has FREAKING HUGE hands
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
Jems have wizard II necks. Vai has FREAKING HUGE hands

Exactly what I thought.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Try shredding on this:

MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
^ That's just retarded. There's no need for that. Does such a person even exist with big enough hands to make any sort of good use out of that?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ That's just retarded. There's no need for that. Does such a person even exist with big enough hands to make any sort of good use out of that?

Idk. Paul Gilbert maybe?

Stupid as it is, I'm awestruck every time I look at it. It's so Spinal Tap.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Holy crap this thread is full of DERP!!!
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
the whole thing is that i am not really in the position to play guitars before i buy them, i live reallllyyy far in the backwoods and haha a guitar store is like a myth to me. the only nice guitar i have ever been able to hold in my hands was a gibson sg. i have to order all of my stuff off the internet and its screwed me over a couple times because the user reviews are so good but i get the thing and its shit. played a bc rich assassin the other day, the lower end model, but i have been hearing ridiculous good things about ibanez.... i need to make a trip to a guitar center!
This:

You can shred on 5 different instruments and then play some harmonica
from what ive played around with
guitars with slimmer necks, jumbo frets, and a inlay cutout are the easiest to shred on
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Washburn HM WI 526.
Nuff said.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by Stratwizard

Yeah, Paul Gilbert has small hands. For a giant.

Take your pick, everybody has their own preference...I personally prefer Ibanez, but there are many brands that also cater towards the shred category.
I like the feel of Ibanezs the best. I will say this, I think like a schecter with emgs will sound better for only metal, but the Ibanez will be much more versatile. theres something to be said for a chill blues jam
This, of course.

[Can't believe I was the first in the thread to throw up this legend]
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The ESP LTD's are pretty nice for the price,about $300 from Musician's Friend. Get one with 24 frets. I have a M-100FM and really like it.
Use the searchbar bro.

OLOLOLOLOL whatevers best for you lol.

Serious answer, In my opinion. Ibanez Jem.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

you need skills to shred,not a good guitar so just buy a guitar that you feel comfortable with and you like the sound and practice your ass off
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
How about a Fender Strat?? They have huge frets for allowing quick changes. Also both single and double coil pick ups allow max versatility.

ron666
Quote by sjones
This, of course.

[Can't believe I was the first in the thread to throw up this legend]

It has single coils so unless your ynigwe it sucks DUH!! Lol
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Its really up to you man, personally go to guitar center or some place, sit there for like 5 hours and make your pick. What I would do cause I'm just neurotic like that...
Killing is my business...and business is not good
Quote by LoudLove5150
Try shredding on this:

It's a Halo, the size of the neck has nothing to do with that being unplayable

Quote by Offworld92

If people want to play a 10 string why the hell not? It's considerably harder to play a 9 string bass and those have a pretty decent market amongst the jazz community in particular. I really don't see the harm in having more notes to play with, and I really don't get why so man people see a guitar with more than a normal number of strings and suddenly get all defensive, as if the guitar just punched their mum in the stomach
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Sep 26, 2010,