its all in the wrist.
copy paul gilberts technique as closely as you can
dynamics and control > speed
practice
Yeah, relax your picking hand and practice.

There's no magical way of increasing your picking speed.
One thing that will make it easier though is relaxing your hands. And I mean relaxing to the point where you can barely hold the pick. That's how relaxed you have to be.
Quote by Cheesepuff
copy paul gilberts technique as closely as you can

While I do agree that PG has phenomenal picking technique I always warn against directly copying someone elses technique, just find your own way while adhering to the basic principles of good technique.

Anyway TS:

Nothing you can do will make you pick faster if that's what you're focusing on. Stop pushing yourself for speed and work on the things that make up speed: relaxation, co-ordination and, most of all for your picking hand, economy of motion. Unless you're making small, relaxed movements you'll never be able to really push your speed at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
use a metronome. it's pretty much the most important thing you can do to increase speed. start with a simple riff, or just a scale and practice it as eighth notes (2 notes per beat) at like 50bpm then when you get it absolutely perfect move up about 2bpm and so on, once you can do this at about 180bpm, move back down to 50bpm and start with sixteenth notes(4 notes per beat) . and if you are really adventurous you can go back down again for 32nd notes(8 notes per beat)...
Quote by Freepower
I take it you've read the sticky and done a few hundred thousand hours of practice?

fix'd.
posting this took less than 5 mins , getting some tips with the expense of >5mins and then start practicing for hours and hours will be more efficient than practicing for hours and hours without any tips.

and thx for the replies.
Quote by Freepower

I will personally guarantee that doing a hundred thousand hours of practice is probably a better idea than posting on UG.

Unless you're practicing bad habits.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Honestly? 10,000 hours of practice that is about 50% effective still works out as a hell of a lot more effective practice than just about anyone on this forum does.

I'm not saying that you can't waste time practising, but unless you're doing something terribly wrong and playing through the pain, you're always better off practising than not practising.
Quote by Zombee
Unless you're practicing bad habits.

I don't know, a hundred thousand hours of practice could probably make even bad habits work out fine. I mean, that's practicing non stop for like eleven and a half years with no sleep. I would think if you could do that, you'd be a god.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Sep 21, 2010,