I just got a new strat and everything about it is good except for the trem bar. Eveery time i use it my guitar goes out of tune, some strings go higher some lower, Im guessing this is a pretty common problem therefore has a quickfix so is there any way I can adjust it??

Also, it is WAY too sensitive, even if I hold the thing (without pressing it atall) the whammy kicks in and sets me down a half-step. I think the tension is far to high or something either way its pissing me off royally.

It is a two way whammy as in the bridge goes up and down, ive never had such a bridge before so I didnt want to tamper with it until I knew exactly what it was i need to do.

thanks alot
Fender Lonestar Stratocaster
Epiphone LP Standard
Peavey Milestone III bass
Tanglewood rebel 4k bass (r.i.p)
Marshall G215CDR
Shure SRH840
What string gauge and tuning are you using?

If a tremolo system is going out of tune that radically, that easily, there's an imbalance between spring and string tension. Try adding a spring in the back and messing around with the spring tension bar.

The other thing you should definitely invest in is a Tremsetter.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse

If a tremolo system is going out of tune that radically, that easily, there's an imbalance between spring and string tension. Try adding a spring in the back and messing around with the spring tension bar.

Im using Fender super bullets, ive tried in both standard and Eb tuning and I get the same result, how would I go about adding a spring/adjusting??

Cheers for the reply
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall G215CDR
Shure SRH840
Quote by Pink Muse

They are 9s, came with the guitar.
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall G215CDR
Shure SRH840
That's weird, if it's factory strings, it should've been set up at the factory for this. Oh well.

I'm guessing you bought it new? It should have some springs with it, maybe in the case candy. If not, head to where you got it and ask them for one.

Actually, if you head there anyways, see if they'll take a look at it. I wouldn't pay them to do this, but as long as you're there it's worth a shot.

... Out of curiousity, how hard are you using it? It doesn't sound like you're doing extreme moves with it, but you never know.
Quote by Wisthekiller

You're going to need to go with all 5 springs on the trem if you don't already. Also, knowing if you have a 6 or 2 screw trem would be very helpful.

An investment into some hardware might be in order. I got graphtech saddles, string trees, and nut, along with locking tuners for my Strat. Even with a divebomb, that suck won't go out of tune. It's a small bit of cash, but it's totally worth it in the long run.

EDIT: I see in your sig it says Lonestar Strat, so it'll have the vintage style 2 screw. Make sure the back plate is set to an 1/8th inch float according to the Strat manual.

If worse comes to worse, don't touch it. Take it back to the store and make them fix it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by Pink Muse
That's weird, if it's factory strings, it should've been set up at the factory for this. Oh well.

I'm guessing you bought it new? It should have some springs with it, maybe in the case candy. If not, head to where you got it and ask them for one.

Actually, if you head there anyways, see if they'll take a look at it. I wouldn't pay them to do this, but as long as you're there it's worth a shot.

... Out of curiousity, how hard are you using it? It doesn't sound like you're doing extreme moves with it, but you never know.

Well Im using it to play eruption at the minute so I kinda have to slam it as far down as possible, Im going to take it to the shop if I start playing with the hardware id probably destroy the thing
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall G215CDR
Shure SRH840
Quote by Pink Muse

Quote by MWriff
Well Im using it to play eruption at the minute so I kinda have to slam it as far down as possible.

"Yes ma'am, I reckon that's your problem right thur."
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm telepathic now.

I'm even greater than I once thought I was!
Quote by Wisthekiller

take it back and tell them to fix it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
sounds like the nut is binding the strings, maybe it just needs some lubrication in the nut slots. graphite shavings from a pencil should do it.

anyhow, since it's new, take it back to the store.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix