I'm currently playing a lot of Trans-Siberian Orchestra covers with a band I'm in and my sound in less then stellar. I'm using the Boss OS-2. I'm convinced it's not possible to get a good TSO sound through this pedal. So, I'm looking to buy a new pedal but I don't know what to get. Also any other effects that would be helpful to obtain my desired sound? Any suggestions would be great.

On a side note, I'm also looking for a good music recording program for windows. Preferably free.
Quote by George99936
I'm currently playing a lot of Trans-Siberian Orchestra covers with a band I'm in and my sound in less then stellar. I'm using the Boss OS-2. I'm convinced it's not possible to get a good TSO sound through this pedal. So, I'm looking to buy a new pedal but I don't know what to get. Also any other effects that would be helpful to obtain my desired sound? Any suggestions would be great.

On a side note, I'm also looking for a good music recording program for windows. Preferably free.
Well, for starters, what kind of amp are you running through?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
If I'm not mistaken I believe TSO uses Marshalls or something more british voiced so you could look into one of the Marshall stompboxes floating around ebay or maybe go into the VK thread here and do the JCM mod to the VK which will assist in that tone and then tweak from there. Some Delay and possibly a chorus might help as well.

Best thing to do is find what kind of gear they are using and see how you can recreate some of that tone with what you have or on a cheaper end of things. Eq'ing does wonders too sometimes.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by George99936

REAPER
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Reaper for software, don't even look at audacity.

Use your overdrive as an overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal. Get a crunch tone going on your VK, then kick in the OD with tone at 12 o clock, level at around 2 o clock, and gain at around 9 o clock.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Al Pitrelli (Pretty much the front guitarist) uses Duncan JB pickups and a Rocktron Prophecy powered by a EL34 marshall power amp. Well Last time he talked about gear thats what he used. I dunno if thaat helped at all
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
I use nero for sound recording/editing but it ain't free!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Reaper for software, don't even look at audacity.

Use your overdrive as an overdrive pedal, not a distortion pedal. Get a crunch tone going on your VK, then kick in the OD with tone at 12 o clock, level at around 2 o clock, and gain at around 9 o clock.

This works quit well! Though the distortion channel on my VK is kinda noisy.
In theory I could get another distortion pedal and get the crunch sound out of that and still run it through my amps clean channel? I also need the clean channel for some songs and i don't have the foot switch for the amp.

Does this make sense?

I will have to check out Reaper.
Quote by George99936
This works quit well! Though the distortion channel on my VK is kinda noisy.
In theory I could get another distortion pedal and get the crunch sound out of that and still run it through my amps clean channel? I also need the clean channel for some songs and i don't have the foot switch for the amp.

Does this make sense?

I will have to check out Reaper.

Buy a footswitch for your amp...use the OD pedal to boost it's dirty channel...use your clean channel when you need cleans. You can find replacement footswitches on ebay for cheap. I'm not going to post the link...but there are a few different ones up there.

+1 to reaper.