So I'm pretty good with guitars but don't know too much about the internal electronics.

I've got a super distortion in one of my guitars, and it is wayyyy to hot. I've tried lowering the pickup, and while that did decrease some of the output, it had lost a lot of tone. I messed with the pickup height and feel in order to get the tone I want out of it that the height I have set is perfect, but the pickup is to hot.

Other then rolling back on the gain or volume/tone, is there any electronics like pots that can help? Like I said, I don't know much about the internal electronics too much so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Not much you can do I'm afraid. The SD was made to have a greater output than standard HB pickups so it would overdrive pre-amps easier. Other than turning down the volume control or adjusting the amp gain accordingly there's not much else to do since you already tried lowering the PU.
BTW, are you saying it's too hot because the other PUs in the same guitar are lower in output when you switch between them?
Moving on.....
Well, the other two PU's are single coil, so I wouldn't compare.

I've got HBs in other guitars none are this hot!

I complain because they pick up EVERYTHING, even with the volume rolled back to 7, they pick up EVERYTHING. I'm forced to constantly mute every string or else the vibrations pass on to the other strings and make it pretty audible.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
What do you mean by way too hot. Is there feedback?
Just invest in an ISP Decimator (noise gate)
You'll love it.
Quote by ThorVonClemson
What do you mean by way too hot. Is there feedback?
Just invest in an ISP Decimator (noise gate)
You'll love it.

No, it's just too hot as in I'm constantly forced to mute everything or it just sounds messy. I'm afraid a gate wouldn't do anything for me because the problem is when I'm playing, which would keep the gate open.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
What about turning the gain down on your amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What about turning the gain down on your amp?

I do keep it at around 8 volume knob, if I go any lower I lose the tone. Also I've lowered the gain as much as I can without losing that true sound I'm looking for.

I guess I thought there was a way to lower the output with some kind of resister or something, but I guess I was wrong.

Guess I'll have to start a pickup trading quest.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Sorry, but why don't you get a new amp?
Maybe that's the problem, not the pickup in your guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
A noise gate would most definitely solve your problem. ISP decimator does so without harming your tone.
If that doesn't work,
it's just your playing. You need to slow down and practice string damping (Dampening?) and muting until your playing is clean and accurate.
I don't really know what to tell you. If you want to keep the tone you have, you'll have to become a god I guess. learn how to play completely clean. If you love your tone that much, it could be a really good whip in the back for you to learn to play cleanly. It could benefit you immensely, if you take an optimistic approach to it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JesusCrisp
Sorry, but why don't you get a new amp?
Maybe that's the problem, not the pickup in your guitar.

Or maybe you just play dirty?

edit: he just plays dirty*
It's not the amp, I play 8 other pickups out of the same amp and they all sound beautiful.

A noise gate won't help me because the problem is when I'm actually playing, which will leave the noise gate open.

Like I said it's so hot it you can hear my palm jumping on and off the bridge area to mute..hard to explain, but this isn't a problem on my other guitars.

I am pretty heavy handed, so I'm sure that doesn't help. If there's no electronics I can use I guess I need a different pickup!

Although there's something that tells me I can add to the resistance of the signal with electronics - but I'm not a huge electronics buff.

I really liked the tone, it's too bad.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 20, 2010,
Tone Zone from Dimarzio is a good low-end boosting pickup that should do what you need.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by dkunick
Tone Zone from Dimarzio is a good low-end boosting pickup that should do what you need.

Yes, thank you, I was looking into this.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
If you're sure you're a good player and your hot pickup does not reveal your flaws.
Then i'm one hundred percent certain your pickup is wired poorly. Try cleaning the electronics in the cavity out.
If that doesn't work you should resolder it.
Or your guitar may need better shielding.
I wonder if the pickup is correctly grounded? It almost sounds like it's slightly microphonic from your last description.
Moving on.....
Okay, I will check the shielding and grounding like you suggest when I get out of work. I think this may be the problem, as I played a super distortion prior to buying mine and it didn't give me this problem, although I know each pickup will have it's own characteristics. Thanks for your help!
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
install a treble bleed circuit on your volume pot, it'll help the tone-sucking.
it's just a capacitor and a resistor in parallel. all it needs is a little soldering.
google it.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Okay, I will check the shielding and grounding like you suggest when I get out of work. I think this may be the problem, as I played a super distortion prior to buying mine and it didn't give me this problem, although I know each pickup will have it's own characteristics. Thanks for your help!

If you have an ohmmeter (or DMM) you can quickly check the PU body grounding by measuring from the PU height adjustment screw (which screws into the rear plate of the PU) and the guitar output jack ground. There should zero or close to zero ohms.
Moving on.....