Hey I don't know anything at all about pickups or anything, and was just looking for any guidance that you guys could give. I'm currently playing sort of a mix between post-rock and Thursday-esque music, so lots of cleans/delays mixed with some heavier parts (but not SUPER heavy).
I'd like for my cleans to be a little smoother and less twangy. My knowledge on this is really limited, but I always see that artists I like use teles but have different pickups, so I assume the pickup is where the problem lies.
If I'm dead wrong, let me know. I've been using my EQ pedal to get rid of some twang, but it kind of deadens the sound a little, so I'd like to just fix the problem rather than try to cover it up.

Thanks a lot in advance
hot rails?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
hmm....im not really sure what pickups you would get, as my tele has humbuckers in it
have you thought about fender lace sensors? maybe a red and a blue? the tele ones can be a bit hard to get a hold of but they sound awesome - jonny greenwood uses them in his tele, and billy corgan.
honestly i haven't thought of anything since i know pretty much nothing haha
i'll look into that

if it helps, guitar tones that I like:
Moving Mountains
Explosions in the Sky
The Appleseed Cast
Quote by Headphonehead
HOT HOT rails

I looked the reviews, and they all seemed to emphasize dirty tones like for distortion and stuff

I want really pretty cleans becuase we use a lot of clean delayed arpeggios and simple riffs that are really up front. I want it to be really pure.
BareKnuckle Yard Birds. Awesome cleans, awesome dirty tones. Stay nice and clear at high gain as well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ethan_hanus
Your my hero. But we don't know how much TS can spend.

TS, what's your planned budget for pickups?

Whatever is best for my style pretty much, it's just a matter of how soon I'll be able to do it.
If my best (within reason) option is too expensive, I'll just wait 'til I can afford it. So yeah i'd say price isn't that much of an object, though the cheaper the better of course. I'd rather hear what my best option is than what my cheapest "decent" option is...if that makes sense.
okay and here's where I look really dumb.
If I do get this yardbird set
Do I get the "bridge set" or the "neck and bridge" set or what? I honestly don't have a clue about this stuff and it's slightly embarrassing.
Quote by WerdnaEgni
okay and here's where I look really dumb.
If I do get this yardbird set
Do I get the "bridge set" or the "neck and bridge" set or what? I honestly don't have a clue about this stuff and it's slightly embarrassing.

Your gona want the Bridge and neck set, if you have a standard tele, make sure you have a bridge pickup and a neck pickup.

If your ordering from America then use these guys, I buy all my BKP's from them, they have the best prices in America for new BKP's.

http://www.guitarasylum.com/product_pages/bare-knuckle/bare-knuckle-yardbird.html
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Sep 20, 2010,