Poll: Which amp is the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp is the best?
Epiphone Valve Junior
5 26%
Fender Champion 600
3 16%
Bugera V5
2 11%
Vox AC4TV8
9 47%
Voters: 19.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
are you willing to look into other amps? the vht special 6 is pretty nice, and is a similar price on thomann (you just need to get a UK kettle lead, you probably have one already lying around).

Out of the ones you've listed, I've only tried the valve junior (and the version 2 one at that) and the fender champion 600. It's hard to really compare them as they each do such a different tone. What type of tones are you after? What's the limit of your budget? What gear do you have already?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey Royal 8. Make sure you're aware of all the players in the game before you play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What kind of difference is there in tone dave mc?
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Last edited by guitarwalrus at Sep 20, 2010,
the valve junior (the version 2, anyway; as i said, i haven't tried the newer v3 which supposedly has the improved output transformer and some improvements to the circuit) is very warm and british-voiced, and is more aimed at low gain crunch tones... the fender is very american-voiced and is more aimed at cleans, I think.

If you answer the other questions I asked, we can help you more (unless you're just asking which of those is best out of curiosity and aren't buying anything ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, I am willing to accept other suggestions for mini valve amps :L
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Ok.

What type of tones are you after? I play classic rock, modern rock, alternative rock, blues, jazz. What's the limit of your budget? probably around £130 but i'm looking at these versions used. What gear do you have already? I'm either gonna buy a classic vibe tele or a used mim tele.
Gear:

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
I wouldn't go for the Champ unless you have an extension cab or something. It sounds very small with the stock 6 inch speaker. It sounds great when plugged into a cab with larger speakers, though. Typical Fender tones all across the board.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok, thanks. most of the cheaper low wattage amps are going to struggle with modern rock and alternative rock (depends on what you mean by those, of course). You'd ideally need an overdrive and/or distortion pedal, with the amp kept pretty low, to hit those tones- if you don't have pedals already, that can get pretty expensive pretty quickly. Add the price of a couple of pedals to the cost of a valve amp at around the £130 mark and you'll be over £200 (unless you really cheap out)- which is not too far away from something like a jet city 20 watter, or, say, a bugera v22. I haven't tried either, but with the master volume and more gain stages they're going to be more versatile.

if you really can't stretch, though, I reckon the vht special 6 is as good as any I've tried until you go a fair bit up in price (though as i said, I haven't tried the bugera or vox).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're going for the Vox, I'd get the regular AC4tv, not the AC4tv8
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.