Are there any brands with similar necks to those found on Schecters? I was playing my RG earlier and decided to take out my explorer for some drop C riffing. Anyway, I decided to play some A7X solos on it and they were so much cleaner and more comfortable to play on the explorer neck.

Am I stuck to Schecter for a shred oriented guitar with a fatter neck? I was thinking (avoiding fanboyism) of a Synyster Custom, simply because I don't like the tone of active pups at all, and all others seem to have either Blackouts or EMG's, plus the white looks fairly tasty.

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I have a c1 custom fr, its a good guitar but she made too much noise even if the gain is realy low. i paid 1300$ for this shit and she made feedback all the time
What??

You have an RG, you played your Explorer, and it made you decide you want a Schecter?
Man, I'm looking at the Syn model as well, people can hate, but that is a nice sounding metal guitar. That's like saying everyone with a sunburst gibson is Slash's fanboy.. **** that..
I actually have 2 RG's. Basically, I was playing some random stuff, decided I wanted to play some in drop C (my explorer) and realised I actually really like a fatter neck - hence considering a Schecter, or in this case, potentially another brand with a similar neck (at least, significantly fatter than an RG).
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
OKay, go to the guitar store. Ignore everything everybody has ever told you about guitars. Play every freakin' guitar they have. Buy the one that plays and sounds best to you. There just ain't no other way dude..
Schecter necks are not fat, they're actually thinner than most, especially thinner than Gibson necks.
Quote by iRockOnline
Man, I'm looking at the Syn model as well, people can hate, but that is a nice sounding metal guitar. That's like saying everyone with a sunburst gibson is Slash's fanboy.. **** that..
Not really. Its more like someone saying that everyone with a Gibson Slash Signature Model LP is a Slash fanboy, they might not be too far from the truth either.
How do you even define a "Schecter neck"? People need to realize that every brand has at least two, and usually many more than just one type of neck. You need to be more specific.

And if you like your Explorer, what's wrong with just using it? Or getting another one? There's no reason to always get a different guitar when you get a new one. If you love a guitar you have, that is way more than enough reason to get another of the same guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by iRockOnline

Actually, now that I think about it...A Slash Sig LP doesn't have "SLASH" inlaid across the fretboard in a gaudy (and slightly ugly) way. Honestly I would like the Syn guitars if they didn't have that.

But I agree with Offworld, if you like your Explorer why do you need to get another guitar?
The main reason is the lack of a FR and it only being 22 fret. I prefer the 25.5" scale length on the whole, and having a 24th fret just makes playing around the 22nd far easier (IMO).
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
I got the Syn custom, and while it makes you look like a fanboy, MY GOD it's a nice guitar.
In that case are you open to trying Jacksons? There aren't many guitars with a floyd and passives once your rule out Ibanez.

I know there are a few soloists and dinkys with passives and floyds.

There's also an ESP that you could consider.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH327-Electric-Guitar?sku=584493

That is, if you're interested on looking at other brands.
If you want an upper level Schecter with passives then look into the new C-1 Custom which comes with a SD Custom and SD '59.
Other brands are good - I started this thread to get suggestions for other brands. Jackson look nice - what are their necks comparable to? ESP make nice looking guitars, but I thought they shared a similar profile to Ibanez necks?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Definitely not, in my experience the ESP Thin U necks are much thicker than Ibanez.

Jackson has the compound radius neck which is supposed to be thick at the low frets for chording and thinner at the high frets for soloing.

Try some out in your price range and see. If you go to any instrument store site you can see a list of jacksons that fit your specs.
dont they still have an Avenger Hell Raiser? i guess i have always prefered a model instead of a sig model. i suppose if you need the FR tho idk that Syn model is just gawdy. i dont think they could have thrown anymore nonsense on it to make it look any worse.

back on topic, The dude above me has a point. Schecter necks arent really that fat. i guess when you are comparing it to a Wizard neck, sure. it is by no means a baseball bat, like some people on here will lead you to believe. i have owned a few C1's. the lower end model has a very slim neck imo. and i used to own a blackjack that also had a fairly thin neck.

it doesnt really matter what i say though, my hands are different then yours, my playing is different then yours. i like things that you might not, or you might. how would i (or you) know or be able to tell you that?

just go play some stuff. I picked up a jaguar (coming from someone who just hated the look of it, thought the controls were completely unnecesary, and that i would never use something with single coils) and fell in love with it. just play something
I've seen Caparisons, but I don't know if there are any dealers around really - they seem boutique for want of a better word.

I'll have a look at ESP then, I'd semi ruled them out as I thought their profile was similar to that of Ibanez, but if that's the case.

Regarding the Hellraiser Avenger, they seem really hard to get hold of in the UK, and as mentioned, the FR is a fairly major part - I like the tuning stability and the divebomability of a FR.

Just for reference, to get similar quality to my RG2620 Prestige, where in the ESP/Jackson/Schecter/Other line should I be looking. Obviously Schecter the only thing really tickling my fancy is the Syn Custom (despite gaudiness) but I don't know ESP and Jackson that well.

Edit: Alternatively, am I right in saying the PRS SE line might be worth a look at the higher end? Part of me wants an ebony fretboard, just to see what they're like, and ESP seem to only have those on Alexi models.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by siverstorm
Definitely not, in my experience the ESP Thin U necks are much thicker than Ibanez.

Jackson has the compound radius neck which is supposed to be thick at the low frets for chording and thinner at the high frets for soloing.

Try some out in your price range and see. If you go to any instrument store site you can see a list of jacksons that fit your specs.

My jackson supposedly has the "compound radius" but to me it seems the be the same thickness the whole way through, too thin at the nut and still to thin at the body join lol
"I like eating apples but today I tried a banana and liked it, so what are some foods similar to pizza?"

Really man, that logic made me get up and leave the computer for a minute.

Schecter necks aren't as fat as people make them out to be, but they're fatter than others say. It's very noticeable going between Les Paul and V-1, but it's not inhibiting or anything.

You really do have to try out a lot of guitars though, especially when you're throwing around neck comparisons like above. It says you either don't know what you really like, or like a lot. Try out a bunch of Schecters, a few PRS SE's, and some Jacksons to start, but don't limit yourself.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by tele-a-holic
My jackson supposedly has the "compound radius" but to me it seems the be the same thickness the whole way through, too thin at the nut and still to thin at the body join lol

Compound radius has nothing to do with how thick the neck is. It's the radius of the fret board!
Quote by BobDetroit
Compound radius has nothing to do with how thick the neck is. It's the radius of the fret board!

I can see where you'd come from about thickness when talking about radius... Especially with a compound radius.

I mean come on, you can really feel the difference in thickness at all points of the fretboard with one of those!

(PS: Aren't Jackson necks pretty... uh... thin...? Yeah, he fails.)
Quote by Offworld92
How do you even define a "Schecter neck"? People need to realize that every brand has at least two, and usually many more than just one type of neck. You need to be more specific.

I have 3 Schecter's and all 3 have different necks.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I can see where you'd come from about thickness when talking about radius... Especially with a compound radius.

I mean come on, you can really feel the difference in thickness at all points of the fretboard with one of those!

(PS: Aren't Jackson necks pretty... uh... thin...? Yeah, he fails.)

Um, no, no, no and no!

Compound radius refers to the radius of the fretboard. That's it! It has nothing, NOTHING to do with the thickness of the neck. Lots of Jackson necks are indeed thin and they have a compound radius, but they aren't thin because they have a compound radius!

You can just as easily have a thick neck with a compound radius fretboard just like you can have a chick with no boobs and a giant ass. "That chick has no boobs, she's skinny. " Like hell, her ass is the size of a freakin' walrus.
This thread is pretty retarded. Who said a schecter feels like a gibson? They actually have pretty thin necks. Just a little thicker than a Jackson. Feels like an ltd to me. But it also depends on the guitar too. My hellraiser has a smaller neck than my banshee. Both are made by schecter.

Go play a schecter.
I don't think anybody said Schecter necks were similar to Gibson. I know I said I would like a fatter neck after playing my explorer, and I know Schecter were commonly said to have fatter necks than other shred guitars. As I said, I'm looking for something with a significantly fatter neck than my RG's.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
You want a shred-type guitar with a fat neck?
I would seriously look into a high-end BC Rich Warbeast/Warlock. They're given a bad rap for their sound but sound is all in the pickups, and if all the high-end BC Riches have EMG's in them anyway. Schecter or BC Rich is the way to go for that type of guitar.
Charvel/Kramer/Jackson

get a guitar with the Charvel compound 12"-16" neck, nice and chunky but great for shredding on.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Just went shopping and tried out a few guitars:

PRS SE Torero - awesome fret access, felt like there was nothing in the way of the 24th, downside was the neck is pretty thin, not massively thicker than my RG. Would need a pup swap too as 81/85

ESP MH-1001 - nice neck, pretty decent fret access, massively abusing the abalone though, was completely caked in the stuff. Again, another pup swap as 81/85.

LTD Alexi-600 - lovely guitar to play, probably my second favourite, ebony fretboard was nice under the fingers and fret access was reasonable, not as good as the PRS but that was special. The only downside was it is a pig to sit and play.

Schecter Blackjack ATX - nice guitar but the satin finish just felt a little, I dunno, off. Played well though and had decent fret access. Also used Blackouts, so would need a pup swap.

Schecter Synyster Custom - my personal favourite. The neck wasn't quite as chunky as the Blackjack and the finish felt much nicer. Also seemed surprisingly versatile as stock - coil split on the pickups gave nice chimey cleans and fairly growly leads (on a non growly amp). Only downside is the premium for it being a signature model.

In short, I think I'm going to be looking to trade my RG for a Synyster Custom in the near future and perhaps change another guitar, either my SZR or my Explorer, for an Alexi.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai