Hey guys I need your help, I have a Fender American Standard Strat that needs a new nut. I went to a local guitar store and asked how much it would cost for them to make me one, and they said they would do it for $50. This seems a little excessive to me as I have seen them go on eBay for like 5 bucks. My question is how much should a nut cost ? I know they have different types, but I am deciding between a graphite and bone nut and I am hoping that it is already pre-done with the grooves filed in as well in the right size.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by ethan_hanus
www.Graphtech.com

They make precut Teflon nuts, that are better than bone and graphite.

Better tuning stability, but many people prefer the tone of bone.
But yeah, a nut shouldnt cost you 50 quid, but dont forget thats to get it professionally installed, cut etc, even though you could do it yourself. If you are a complete tone freak, consider a bone nut, if you want tuning stability, get a graphtech one, but i believe they are more pricey?
Quote by minnis
Better tuning stability, but many people prefer the tone of bone.
But yeah, a nut shouldnt cost you 50 quid, but dont forget thats to get it professionally installed, cut etc, even though you could do it yourself. If you are a complete tone freak, consider a bone nut, if you want tuning stability, get a graphtech one, but i believe they are more pricey?

Nah, the Tusq material is a synthetic mimic of Bone and Teflon, except without the irregularities of bone, since bone is a natural substance, it has spots where the tone resonates better, then it has spots where it doesn't resonate better, the Tusq material resonates exactly like bone except it's consistent.

Bone nut(not even real bone anymore) is like $10, and the Graphtech ones are about $15, but well worth the money, also comes precut so you just glue it right in, maybe a little bit of sanding so the nut is flush with the sides of the neck.
ive seen nut blanks (like a perfect rectangle, no shaping at all) for under $5 somewhere. it's just alot of work to get perfect.

I'm all about doing things yourself, but if they do it right the first time and you're too busy to do it yourself, $50 isnt THAT bad at all. I'd probably charge something like that.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson