Choice One - Schecter Stiletto Custom 6: http://www.projectmusic.net/schecter-stiletto-custom-6-natural-satin-free-gig-bag-6646-p.asp

Choice Two - Schecter Riot 6: http://www.projectmusic.net/schecter-riot-6-burl-maple-free-gig-bag-6656-p.asp

I know it makes me a bit of a brand whöre, but I tried the Stiletto Custom 6 and adored it, but I'm not massively keen on the gold hardware or the headstock. I was just wondering whether the Riot 6 is worth the extra cost as it looks much sexier, is thru-neck (which I love), and has much nicer hardware and headstock, plus the neck looks a little wider and better at preventing string slippage. Has anyone tried the Riot at all? Or at least can suggest anything about either bass?
Last edited by mishax92 at Sep 20, 2010,
the riot is pure sex. go for that
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I don't like Schecter at all. Their guitars just feel very, very cheap to me. I would suggest the ESP/LTD D-6. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-D6-6String-Bass-Guitar?sku=516176

It's a neck-thru bass with a merbau body, and plugged in it sounds pretty sick. It's a little on the heavy side, but I still like it a lot more than Schecter.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
I couldnt stand the LTD basses I tried, I tried the B 416 and the B 1006 and both felt nasty. The necks had no curve to them, they felt horribly flat on the back (same problem with Ibanez), felt really dry sound wise too, not much low end power, although I partly blame the amp in the shop I was using.

But I tried the Stiletto through the same amp and loved it, and the neck felt full and everything was just right for me.

To each his own, I guess.
Quote by Nolanrox
I don't like Schecter at all. Their guitars just feel very, very cheap to me. I would suggest the ESP/LTD D-6. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-D6-6String-Bass-Guitar?sku=516176

It's a neck-thru bass with a merbau body, and plugged in it sounds pretty sick. It's a little on the heavy side, but I still like it a lot more than Schecter.

I read that merbau was a cheap tonewood used mostly for furniture because of the looks. Crappy acoustics though because its too heavy.

Or so I read..
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
I read that merbau was a cheap tonewood used mostly for furniture because of the looks. Crappy acoustics though because its too heavy.

Or so I read..

There's also a book that says a big hairy man in the sky created the Earth in 7 days.

Don't believe everything you read.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
There's also a book that says a big hairy man in the sky created the Earth in 7 days.

Merbau isn't a quality tonewood, and it's also quite cheap; probably the reason it's used in this case.
From what research I just undertook, while perhaps not as extensive as it could have been, it does seem that merbau is a pretty crap tonewood and used primarily for flooring and furniture.

The Riot is made of mahogany and wenge which in my opinion is by far superior.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Merbau isn't a quality tonewood, and it's also quite cheap; probably the reason it's used in this case.

I thought it was pretty good for only being $450 at the shop. I don't like Schecter anything, and I don't like how wide the neck gets on SRs. If I were to get a 6-string, it'd probably be a Spector, but if I could buy ANY 6 string, Warwick Thumb. c(:
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox

Okay?

So im guessing your opinion on Merbau is different than mine, yeah?
pinga
I've never tried a riot, but I must say on the stilettos the red ones look 1000X better,

now riot vs stiletto: riot gets maple vs stilettos mahogany body. riot seems to have a more massive bridge and is string though. and the riot is neckthrough vs the stilettos bolt.

so really its all a preference thing, maple/neckthrough or mahogany/bolt. riot does have a better bridge.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Sep 20, 2010,
Wow, is that your Stiletto? Thats pure sex!

I think you've at least converted me from the wood grain to the red, especially cause of the black hardware, much better than tacky gold.

How does it play up high when playing fast stuff? I tend to play a lot of Dream Theater and Necrophagist and other tech/prog metal so I really need the speed :P

And whats the neck join like?
the thing plays fantastically. it has a nice neck on it in my opinion. it has perfect fret access up to the 23 with the 24 being a minor challenge to hit, but still completely playable. the neck joint is solid as hell, 6 bolt built like a tank.

oh and there is someone else on here that has one of these as well, but I cant remember who.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Sep 21, 2010,
you weren't thinking of me but i have a custom 5 mines in the red aswell. far superior. would like to try the riot though...

off topic but would you know what the string spacing is like on the 6 compared to the 5?
I have an ESP B-206, and it's downright amazing. I dislike the sound that the Schecters cheap active pickups make..
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
The Riot that I played was a first-rate bass. I would definitely consider picking up the six-string version if I were looking for another one. Go for the Riot.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well I too am not a big fan of Schecter basses and 9 times out of 10 I would recommend looking else where (which I will still do). But first...

830 pounds....that's balls expensive and honestly the bass itself looks great for the price range the only thing I would say is you've already played on one Schecter and said it felt great (the feel is my biggest complaint) so we're already over that hurdle. Next the woods and hardware are solid and I personally really like wenge. Finally the electronics....meh. That bass is top notch with...EMG-HZ's. Disappointing IMO. I have them and they are fine for a $500 dollar bass but if you're dropping that much cash then I would recommend a quick upgrade to EMG DC's or CS's and then up to either an EMG or Aguilar pre-amp. That of course is totally up to your discretion, it's just what I would do...

OOOOrrr.....you could look for a used Spector Euro in your price range (I would normally recommend a Warwick too but I doubt you'll find a 6er that cheap)

And I wouldn't recommend the Stilletto strictly based on looks because I think they're hideous...(once again my opinion)
Last edited by thunderbritches at Sep 22, 2010,
if you go used you might find a Warwick. those guys are sexy.

I had a neckthrough maple 5 string, it hated whenever the strings went dead, sounded like a muddy bonk. as long as you can replace the strings... do it.

but the neckthrough is accessible, but really thick high up, it makes hitting those high notes a little odd.

the one perdestrian has is quite sexy. this is coming from a man who hated his, so you know it's sexy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yeah I cant say I'm an EMG-HZ fan. Pretty much the first thing I was gonna do after purchase was replace the pickups, as theyre the only thing that really bugs me about the Riot. Any replacement pickups anyone would recommend?

I'm still unsure of the Stiletto, I just dont really like the shape all that much.

The reason I think I liked Schecter so much is cause they seem far more suitable for people with colossal hands, i.e. me. The ESPs I tried felt like planks whereas the Schecters really have some beef to them. I cant stand the Warwicks at this price range and Spector may play well, but I cant find a 6 string one that doesnt look entirely shit. Personal opinions again, but hey.
Bartolini is decent. smooth and warm.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I feel that Schecter makes better guitars than they do basses. Even their most expensive basses come with EMG-Hz, like wtf?

And overall their guitars >>>>>>>>> basses
pinga
Drop in these
EMG 45DC (bridge) / 45P6 (neck) Active pickup

They destroy for 6 strings. I personally like the Stiletto shape, I just hate their sound and the way their necks feel.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by Nolanrox
I thought it was pretty good for only being $450 at the shop. I don't like Schecter anything, and I don't like how wide the neck gets on SRs. If I were to get a 6-string, it'd probably be a Spector, but if I could buy ANY 6 string, Warwick Thumb. c(:

Ibanez SR basses are actually not that wide at all. I would probably consider them to be less wide than a spector. Ibanez BTB's have the most string spacing as far as ibanez basses.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
how about if the fellow's 2 questions were replied to? He asked which of 2 Schecters and got over a dozen replies having nothing to do with either guitar or even Schecter. We look here for a topic expecting you can read and reply to the topic of the post. What the hell is it with these guys rambling about LTD and HAMER, and so on ? The post was about 2 Schecters, both named.
Quote by doug.henninger
how about if the fellow's 2 questions were replied to? He asked which of 2 Schecters and got over a dozen replies having nothing to do with either guitar or even Schecter. We look here for a topic expecting you can read and reply to the topic of the post. What the hell is it with these guys rambling about LTD and HAMER, and so on ? The post was about 2 Schecters, both named.

I read this topic and the consensus seemed to be the riot. Your post was far and away the least helpful in a thread that worked itself out 3 months ago. Good job buddy.

Edit: Just sorta realized how genuinely unhelpful my post is as well, so we're really sandbagging this topic my friend.
Last edited by SovietStar at Dec 26, 2016,