I am planning on building a guitar that I can plug into my car stereo. Would I be fine with just a preamp, or would I have to install a small amp in it?
Quote by Stitzel
I am planning on building a guitar that I can plug into my car stereo. Would I be fine with just a preamp, or would I have to install a small amp in it?

Wait installing an amp in the guitar or the car?

I'm guessing the car because i doubt an amp would fit in a guitar but the way you woreded it made it seem like you ment the guitar?
A car stereo isn't the best thing to plug a guitar into. A guitar amp purposely distorts the signal for the guitar (even on a clean setting). A car audio system tries to avoid distorting the signal as much as possible.

You can combat this with using a preamp, but don't expect to sound like a professional.

As for what you need, it depends on if your car has an AUX input or not. If not, you'll need a new stereo. If it does, you don't "need" the preamp to play your guitar through your car stereo, but it will sound very flat.

I know this is GB&C, but you don't need to build a guitar specifically for your car stereo. You just need the right cable. You need a mono 1/4" to 1/8" cable. A stereo one would work fine, but they're usually $2 more.
my dad has this little thing that sends your mp3 signal to the radio so you can listen to it in the car. I used it at home with my guitar and it was very quiet and uber clean.. running guitar-->dist pedal-->radio sounded good though. you will need some kind of active boost pedal.
no sir away a papaya war is on