Okay, so I've been playing guitar for over 2 years now, and I consider my self to be a pretty good player, I mean I can learn pretty much any song with enough practice. My problem though is that I need to learn more music theory. I know the basics of musical theory and how it works and stuff (like key signatures, time signatures, beats, etc) because I played the piano for a few years, I just want to be able to go deeper and learn how it applies to the guitar so that I know the instrument like the back of my hand. That will make it a lot easier for me to jam, write music, and just become an overall better player. If anyone could give me some links to some free online lessons (text or videos, either one works) I would greatly appreciate it!!!! Thanks!!!
I'm guessing that if you know key signatures, then you know what notes are in each key. and if you know which notes are in each key this becomes rather easy. just look at your fret board and find those notes. each key has a pattern on the fretboard that should become aparent. personally I like to use musictheory.net as a reference for this stuff.

if you don't know the notes on the fret board it is pretty simlpe it goes like this:

E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|
B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B|
G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G|
D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D|
A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A|
E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|

*each of these "|" signals a fret marker* this only goes upto the 12th fret since that is where the fretboard repeats.

here is the Key of C Maj writen similarly, the notes that are not in the key are symbolized as blank frets the notes with in the key are "0"s (*note this is a diagram of the fretboard, not tablature the "0" before the "||" singnals the open string*):

0||0| |0| |0| |0|0| |0| |0|
0||0| |0| |0|0| |0| |0| |0|
0|| |0| |0|0| |0| |0|0| |0|
0|| |0|0| |0| |0| |0|0| |0|
0|| |0|0| |0| |0|0| |0| |0|
0||0| |0| |0| |0|0| |0| |0|

that is just a sample, you will find much better examples of all the different keys at this site.
Yeah, I know the notes in a key signature and the notes on guitar and how they make patterns, I was just looking for a place that has exercises so that I can learn those patterns faster hahaha. The website you gave me is great! Thanks!
Quote by daytripper1993
Okay, so I've been playing guitar for over 2 years now, and I consider my self to be a pretty good player, I mean I can learn pretty much any song with enough practice. My problem though is that I need to learn more music theory. I know the basics of musical theory and how it works and stuff (like key signatures, time signatures, beats, etc) because I played the piano for a few years, I just want to be able to go deeper and learn how it applies to the guitar so that I know the instrument like the back of my hand. That will make it a lot easier for me to jam, write music, and just become an overall better player. If anyone could give me some links to some free online lessons (text or videos, either one works) I would greatly appreciate it!!!! Thanks!!!

Do you already know how to transcribe music or guitar chords? How about guitar chord progression? Sorry if I threw technical words but those are things that could help you more in writing you own music and become a better guitar player.
Quote by ndrewoods
Do you already know how to transcribe music or guitar chords? How about guitar chord progression? Sorry if I threw technical words but those are things that could help you more in writing you own music and become a better guitar player.

... This thread is well over a year old. TS has had his answers for longer than you've been a member now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.