Hey everyone, ive got myself stuck in abit of a rut with what gear to get. Basically i have a 4x12 orange cab with a dual terror head. I wanna downsize to a 2x12 ob which is fine. The problem occurs when i start looking at head choices. I want something thats alot more versatile than the dual terror, i need to be able to use it at home and at gigs. Does anyone know any amps that fit this criteria? i play kinda you me at six/paramore kinda stuff but i like to dip into metal every now any again too.
xx
when you say versatile do you mean variety in terms of the tones which can be dialled in, or versatility in terms of multiple footswitchable channels?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i mean in the different tones possible from the amp. it would be nice to have 2 channels at leaste but not nessecary. I was looking at the blackstar ht 20 studio. Any thoughts on that?
xx
haven't tried it, but inb4shenanigans. Actually, it's probably me who's most likely to say shenanigans...

What about a Laney gh50L? Pseudo-2 channels (footswitchable extra gain stage, basically)... supposedly very nice for the money. I've only tried the vh100r and TT100h, but if it's as nice as them (and it should be... it's supposedly very similar to the heavier channel on the vh100r), it'd be very much worth considering...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm that certainly might be worth a lookin. Only worries about that is it seems to be a amp that needs to be cranked to get the tones, and at 50watt will be to loud for home use really with a 2x12.
if you want the most versitile amp possible in your price range then either look at the vypyr's or valvetronix. However your best bet is to go to a shop e.g. GAK in brighton and try out all of the amps that you want
yes mate, i will deffinatly go and play before i buy, just seeing peoples opinions and trying to make a shortlist kinda. And ive just had a brain wave. I could have the best of both. I could get a blackstar ht1 http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-amps/pid19293/cid557/blackstar-ht1r-combo-1w-with-reverb.asp This could be the amp i use at home. Then i could up my budget to about £800 for the head and get a higher powered head, this is probably a better route than trying to get an amp that can do both. http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-amps/pid11678/cid557/marshall-dsl50-50w-2channel-head-amp.asp Perhaps this head and just borrow cabs for gigs till i can get a new one of my own. Any thoughts on this route?
xx
Quote by billabob
hmm that certainly might be worth a lookin. Only worries about that is it seems to be a amp that needs to be cranked to get the tones, and at 50watt will be to loud for home use really with a 2x12.

really? As I said, I don't know about the GH, but the VH and TT I tried I thought sounded pretty good at lower volumes. Obviously it depends on what you mean by lower volumes, if you mean whisper or quiet TV volumes... but then again even low wattage amps (any I've tried, anyway) won't sound that great at those type of volumes either.

The big concern about buying the two amps (unless you just happen to want two amps, for the different tones, which is fair enough) is that, depending on what you play, one might work better for both home and stage, lol.

Quote by kirky boy
if you want the most versitile amp possible in your price range then either look at the vypyr's or valvetronix.

LOLWUT?

I mean, ok, they're nice amps for the money and pretty versatile, but come on, he has ~£600 to spend, he can do a lot better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well like i said the kinda stuf fi play is kinda like paramore. abit heavier and i sometimes go for some metal stuff too. I really want to get the right amp for my situation. The reason id be willing to go for the blackstar ht1 for home is because it doenst matter too much about tone and there were-as the head will be more essential because ill use it for gigs. So i think this is the right thing. I guess the adivice i need now then would be wat amp around the £800 mark would be good for the kinda stuff i wanna play?
xx
Are you willing to go used? Because if you are £800 opens a hell of a lot of doors.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

yes sir. id be happy to use a used head. Although i look on ebay and i can never find any gd heads in the uk ebay. But yer if used id be hoping for cheaper than 800
xx
the blackstar has lovely gain channels

i used to own the ht5 and loved the gain channels...

you thought about a marshall?
i have indeed maybe a dsl50 or 100. but i was after opinions on gd amps.
xx
also, orange th30 is nice

you can switch it down to smaller wattage for home!

could give similar tones as your dual terror but with more versatility?
yep i have actually considered all of those amps, atm the jcm800 is only of my front runners. If i was gonna go down the orange road again id maybe look for a rockerverb 50 second hand or thunder 50.
xx
Browse the forums (UG, MusicRadar are the good ones) you can find some cracking deals. I sold an Orange Rockerverb 50 for under £800 and picked up a fantastic Matamp 1224 for under £800 so there's no lack of deals around.

I'd look out for Orange's or Marshall's or something. A Vox may work as well, the Vox AC50/100 are meant to be pretty good amps and sell fairly cheap.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by billabob
im in the u.k and i suppose i cant really go over £600.
xx
A guy in the classifieds forum just offered me a Marshall JVM410H for a my Dual Terror + £200, you can't get more versatile than that!

Maybe you should drop him a message