I want to buy a tube amp. my budget is around 900 for the head and cabinet. I play in the style of dream theater, metallica, acdc, iron maiden, alice in chains, bon jovi etc. I'm serious about playing and plan to be in bands in college. I need an amp that can nail the high gain tones and can clean up well too. I've looked at the peavey 3120, jsx, 6505, carvin v3, and others. What are your opinions on these? What other amps would be good for me? And what Cab should I get with the amp? THANKS
I'm running a Peavey Valveking halfstack, and I'm very satisfied with it. Not many frills, but it's a really good straight forward amp. My only complaint with it is not having a master volume, so when switching from clean to dirty you need to make sure the volumes for each channel are set accordingly. Buying the head and cab together is around $900 before tax. Hope this helps.
You could always go for the marshall 4x12 cab with a MA50 head or something. IVe not personally played them but ive heard they are quite good if your on abit of a budget. I think that will just about be within ur budget.
xx
I was going to buy used so I could afford a higher end amp than that. I've heard bad things about the MA series
oic mate, perhaps the JCM 800 or something along that lines then if u can get it at a gd second hand price.
xx
I think you're best bet would be to buy the head and cabinet separately but you're going to save money big time if you get a combo instead.
Of the ones you mentioned though I would probably go with the Carvin or the JSX.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by hellraiser11
I want to buy a tube amp. my budget is around 900 for the head and cabinet. I play in the style of dream theater, metallica, acdc, iron maiden, alice in chains, bon jovi etc. I'm serious about playing and plan to be in bands in college. I need an amp that can nail the high gain tones and can clean up well too. I've looked at the peavey 3120, jsx, 6505, carvin v3, and others. What are your opinions on these? What other amps would be good for me? And what Cab should I get with the amp? THANKS

Based on the bands you listed, no one amp is going to do all that perfectly. Certainly not for 900.

Also, $900 is too little to get a good tube head and cab and have everything be reliable. You might find something used, but it probably won't be the greatest at that price.

I would seriously look at used Mesa combos. Something like a used Tremoverb 2x12 is just barely in your price range if you shop, and it would give you something passable for all the sounds you mentioned. Not the best for any of them, but acceptable. Certainly good enough for your first gigging band in college.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
alright. cause i mean i could get a jsx combo for 600-700 from guitar center used. Carvin v3 head for 600, 3120 for 700, 6505 for 750. I mean all those amps are pretty good I'd say, they're all practically professional grade amps. I mean for 600 bucks i could play the same amp as satch, thats surely a professional amp
If they've got one at GC, go try it out. In general I don't really like how Peaveys sound, but the higher end ones are pretty reliable. So a JSX or 6505 is an option. The 6505 has crap cleans though - not sure about the JSX.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
The 6505 is the way I'd go for what you listed. I would also check out the carvin legacy. I heard they are making a 3 channel version now. I used to own the 2 channel version and I scored the head and 212 cab for it for $400. As far as cabs go, just check out some marshalls. I've actually switched from using 412 cabs to 212 just because they don't way a ton and all the venues my band plays at always mic the cabs anyways. Check out Avatar (avatarspeakers.com) They've always been so easy to deal with and you can experiment with different speakers and look for 212 and 412 cabs for about $500 shipped. You can find some on ebay for pretty cheap too. Good luck in the search!
Carvin Legacy combo or Egnater Renegade combo.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Even Bigger D
If they've got one at GC, go try it out. In general I don't really like how Peaveys sound, but the higher end ones are pretty reliable. So a JSX or 6505 is an option. The 6505 has crap cleans though - not sure about the JSX.

The JSX in my experience has pretty damned good cleans.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by hellraiser11

All 4 of those amps would absolutely suck for acdc and music like that IMO. You are going to have to make a sacrifice. Most High gain amps produce mediocre crunch IMO, especially those you listed.
Ok but whcih would be best for high gain? Like metallica, dream theater, alice in chains stuff. I'd get a combo instead of a head and cab to save money also
The 6505 cleans aren't bad, They aren't amazing but you can get the job done. If I were you I'd go find a 6505 or a 5150 on craigslist, or guitar center or wherever you can get it used at a good price. I have a 6505+ in my practice area and it absolutely rules.. It has more than enough gain for the sound your going for. They also selL the 6505+ I'm a pretty neat combo that you might be able to afford new. Anyway that's what I would buy, good luck!
My musical equipment.

Ibanez 1550m prestige (Tone zone, velvet, norton)
Fender Stratocaster extra hot rodded Mexican!
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by billabob
You could always go for the marshall 4x12 cab with a MA50 head or something. IVe not personally played them but ive heard they are quite good if your on abit of a budget. I think that will just about be within ur budget.
xx

Please stay away from the Marshall MA, it's a horrible amp, think of the MG with tubes. It's not much of an upgrade. Doesn't even sound like a Marshall half the time.

I think the JSX is your best option, a very good do all amp.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Please stay away from the Marshall MA, it's a horrible amp, think of the MG with tubes. It's not much of an upgrade. Doesn't even sound like a Marshall half the time.

I think the JSX is your best option, a very good do all amp.

Agreed. The MA is better than the MG but it's still fizzy as hell and there's not much behind it.

I really liked the JSX when I tried it. The problem was I had nowhere near enough cash for it
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Agreed. The MA is better than the MG but it's still fizzy as hell and there's not much behind it.

I really liked the JSX when I tried it. The problem was I had nowhere near enough cash for it

Yeah, my neighbor has a JSX 2x12, and it's one awesome amp, he can nail Jimi Hendrix's tone easily, then he changes channels and goes straight to playing some perfect Metallica.