Anyone mind enlightening me? Did these go out of production/are they replaced?

In any case i'm pretty interested in picking one up. Peavey doesn't list them on their website any more
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Name changed to 3120. Cosmetics were also changed and it now comes stock with EL34s instead of 6L6s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Are now called 3120. Weep for the loss of embossed pin-up girls on the faceplate of your amp.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by mmolteratx
Name changed to 3120. Cosmetics were also changed and it now comes stock with EL34s instead of 6L6s.

Ugh it looks so ugly now. But whats with the tube change? I don't want a British voiced Peavey amp..

Call i tacky but I liked the chicks on the faceplate, gave it a bit more personality if you will.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
You can also use 6L6s in it if you like. There's more to a British voicing than just EL34s though, the tubes alone won't make a 3120 sound like a Marshall.
Quote by adj209
Ugh it looks so ugly now. But whats with the tube change? I don't want a British voiced Peavey amp..

Call i tacky but I liked the chicks on the faceplate, gave it a bit more personality if you will.

Agreed, plus you can pick up a used XXX for under $500 versus $999 for a new 3120. Completely worth it imo.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by adj209

Most people think the XXX sounded better with EL34s.

As for British-voiced, all their amps until the Ultra were British-type.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Check my sig

I like ;-)

but as far as 6l6 vs el34, in the same amp I don't normally notice TOO much difference in recordings, live is a different matter but that's just my opinion
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Most think it sounds better with el34's. I'm switching back to 6l6 in mine. Try out some JJ's me thinks.

Used XXX's go for cheap now too.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by adj209

It sounds absolutely nothing like a british amp with EL34s. But this amp, which is bright already, the mids from the EL34s, plus a cab with V30s equals a f ing headache.

I am completely against mid scooping, but it is the only thing that makes this amp bareable.
Quote by adj209

I love the trucker girls too. 20 years from now those faceplates will be worth a fortune!

Last edited by BobDetroit at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by patriotplayer90
It sounds absolutely nothing like a british amp with EL34s. But this amp, which is bright already, the mids from the EL34s, plus a cab with V30s equals a f ing headache.

I am completely against mid scooping, but it is the only thing that makes this amp bareable.
Weird, I nearly crank the mids on my 333. Going below 10 o' clock on the mids sounds like crap. Maybe it's my cab.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Weird, I nearly crank the mids on my 333. Going below 10 o' clock on the mids sounds like crap. Maybe it's my cab.

Yeah, plus its a different amp

J/k, but on a serious note the 333 sounds a bit darker to me than the XXX. Based on the little I have heard of both. I actually prefer the sound of the bugera to be quite honest.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Yeah, plus its a different amp

J/k, but on a serious note the 333 sounds a bit darker to me than the XXX. Based on the little I have heard of both. I actually prefer the sound of the bugera to be quite honest.
Could be because of the tubes. Bugera uses Shuguangs, and reportedly those work pretty well in XXXs.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Could be because of the tubes. Bugera uses Shuguangs, and reportedly those work pretty well in XXXs.

Tubes made very minor differences in that amp. I couldn't tell you all the different tubes I tried in it to make it sound decent but nothing worked
Got a G3 video with Satch playing through a XXX. His tone absolutely crushes the other 2. Killer mids. However, that sound was from a dvd, not live, and was something done to his Peav?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Tubes made very minor differences in that amp. I couldn't tell you all the different tubes I tried in it to make it sound decent but nothing worked
Weird, don't know what to tell ya. They're supposed to sound pretty like-for-like. Someone who A/B'd the JSX and 333XL said they were practically identical sounding. Maybe it was the rest of your setup that didn't jive with the XXX.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by adj209

Changing the tubes to EL34's does not automatically change the tone stack and make it "british" souding. It affects break up and some dynamics/feel and slight EQ more than anything.

But maybe I'm wrong. This is just what I've gotten out of my hours of being on UG.

edit:
My main point is that putting EL34s in a Dual Rectifier doesn't make it sound like a Marshall. At all.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 21, 2010,
I didn't like the EL34s in my XXX...it made the mids too honky and I lost my beloved lows and lower mids. I went back to 6L6s after a day

XXX's go cheap now. I see them all the time for $350-$400....and if you can find a Ultra Plus head...it's the same as the XXX. The 3120 is also the exact same (except for stock tubes, but all can be swapped between 6L6/EL34s with a bias).
where are you guys finding those deals on XXX's I've yet to see one for that price. maybe you guys are in some foturnate gear pricing areas but I have yet to see anything priced that cheap in VA.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by amatas83
where are you guys finding those deals on XXX's I've yet to see one for that price. maybe you guys are in some foturnate gear pricing areas but I have yet to see anything priced that cheap in VA.

Quote by tubetime86

Dan posted these in a thread earlier this morning. There was a XXX head for $350 OBO on the KC CL page earlier this week...it went fast.
i got my xxx for 100
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i got my xxx for 100

Wow I hate you.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
I would sell mine for 475 shipped. <.<
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by Levi79
Yeah, get one used

Been looking into it, in the UK I can't seem to find any used XXXs at all, that is unless i Import from the US

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse