Page 1 of 2
I currently have a line 6 spider iii 15 and everything sounds digital. I just bought a boss me-70 and I want to replace my amp. I need a nice practice amp that sounds good with effects. I am willing to pay $200-$300.
HT-5
I was going to suggest a vypyr like I always do but it seems like you already have multi effects so there's no point.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
What sound are you trying to get? Bands, guitars, etc.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Just use the Spider and then put the money toward an amp that you can use for gigs.

Going from one practice amp to another is silly.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You could maybe get a VHT Special 6, as suggested already above, or something older like the Fender Blues Junior or Epiphone Valve Junior, and simply use the Boss as your high gain settings, if that is what you like to play.

You may also want to consider a few more recent examples, like the Blackheart Little Giant, Blackstar HT-5 and Vox AC4TV. They will be more expensive, but with a more modern built quality and sound.

To be honest, though, with that small of a budget, I would simply recommend you sell both your Boss and Line6 and pick up a better solid state practise amp, like the Peavey Vypyr 30, if you play metal, and the Vox VT30 if you play rock.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

To be honest, though, with that small of a budget, I would simply recommend you sell both your Boss and Line6 and pick up a better solid state practise amp, like the Peavey Vypyr 30, if you play metal, and the Vox VT30 if you play rock.

What he said.
^ He just got the Boss, why on earth would he want to sell it? Besides, the ME-70 is a kick ass pedal.

TS, how big of an amp do you need? Do you plan on practicing with a drummer/ a band?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ He just got the Boss, why on earth would he want to sell it? Besides, the ME-70 is a kick ass pedal.
bingo.... A used classic 30 would work or even a 5 watt tube amp would do the trick. The HT5 is a bit overpriced but the Valve Jr at $250 isn't bad.
Thanks for all the quick replies. I am definately keeping my ME-70, and i am leaning toward getting a 5 watt tube amp. I looked at the epiphone valve junior and something like that seems perfect for my needs. Do you think i should just go with that or is it worth it to buy a more expensive tube amp, such as the HT-5 or Vox AC4TV. I am just using this for my house and sometimes i'll play with other guitarists or bassists, but never a drummer.
Also, i don't know anything about tube amps. How often do you replace the vacuum tube? Can i do this myself or do i need to go to a guitar tech?
Jet City's are really good.

Quote by Knight_Hawk
Also, i don't know anything about tube amps. How often do you replace the vacuum tube? Can i do this myself or do i need to go to a guitar tech?

Tubes usually last quite a bit, and you can do it yourself, but I suggest you go to a pro first, then learn how to do it.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
cranium, that's a 40 watt tube amp right? I currently have a 15 watt solid state amp, and i am looking at a 5 watt tube amp. From what i heard, tube amps don't sound good at low volumes. Wouldn't that be way too loud to practice with?
It depends on how much it gets used and or how it sounds to you. It's not hard if you do it right. You NEED to be very careful though. Messing with an amp can be dangerous.
I suppose it may be. It's got a master and a drive volume so you might be able to adjust accordingly. I did see a Valve Jr. on craigslist for I think $90 but you would have to buy a cab also.
Not necessarily. It's got 4,8, and 16 ohm outputs (as far as I can remember). I just used an old speaker cabinet with mine when I had it. They are very modable amps also.
Quote by Knight_Hawk
cranium, that's a 40 watt tube amp right? I currently have a 15 watt solid state amp, and i am looking at a 5 watt tube amp. From what i heard, tube amps don't sound good at low volumes. Wouldn't that be way too loud to practice with?

This is a popular misconception spawned by the amps of yesterday that did not have master volume knobs.

A good amp is a good amp. A good amp will sound good at any volume. All you're doing when you crank your amp is getting more of the power tubes in your sound rather than your preamp tubes. But most amps made today are designed to get their sound from the preamp, so using a tube amp at a low volume is really an outdated argument.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sorry for all the questions, but prior to this all i have owned were 10 or 15 watt solid state amps. I don't know much about tube amps, especially cabinets and stuff. Can u show me some cheaper cabinets that i can use with the Valve Junior amp head? Thanks for all your help.
Quote by cranium2001
I suppose it may be. It's got a master and a drive volume so you might be able to adjust accordingly. I did see a Valve Jr. on craigslist for I think $90 but you would have to buy a cab also.

Buying a 40 watt amp and keeping the volume at 1 or 2 all the time is like buying a Viper and only letting grandma drive it to church on sundays: it's too much muscke for what the job calls for. if you're looking for a practice amp, maximum wattage should be about 15 watts.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Knight_Hawk
Sorry for all the questions, but prior to this all i have owned were 10 or 15 watt solid state amps. I don't know much about tube amps, especially cabinets and stuff. Can u show me some cheaper cabinets that i can use with the Valve Junior amp head? Thanks for all your help.

For the money the Epiphone cab is a decent deal. @Jhachey22 I guess I'm just used to being stuck with 15ish watt amps.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Sep 20, 2010,
It said the cabinet was 70 watts. Do you think this will be good for practicing if i keep the volume down, or should i go for a smaller cabinet or even just buy the valve junior combo amp?
Quote by Knight_Hawk
It said the cabinet was 70 watts. Do you think this will be good for practicing if i keep the volume down, or should i go for a smaller cabinet or even just buy the valve junior combo amp?

All the 70 watt rms means is that's what the speaker can conservatively handle. I would stay away from the combo, you'll be limiting yourself more with the combo in my opinion.
Quote by Knight_Hawk

that's just how many watts it can handle. a cab rated for 100w with a Fender champ running through it is not going to be as loud as a 100w amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Is it practical for me to buy a head and a cabinet just for practice? Will i notice a significant difference between a cabinet with a head and a combo amp? Thanks for your help.
Quote by Knight_Hawk
Is it practical for me to buy a head and a cabinet just for practice? Will i notice a significant difference between a cabinet with a head and a combo amp? Thanks for your help.

If it's just for practice, you're not going to be moving it around a lot. If you do, get a combo.

Other people will differ (Paul Gilbert) that having the tunes in the same box as the speaker will affect the sound as opposed to a head/cab setup. Personally, I think any difference would be very subtle.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Knight_Hawk
Thanks for all the quick replies. I am definately keeping my ME-70, and i am leaning toward getting a 5 watt tube amp. I looked at the epiphone valve junior and something like that seems perfect for my needs. Do you think i should just go with that or is it worth it to buy a more expensive tube amp, such as the HT-5 or Vox AC4TV. I am just using this for my house and sometimes i'll play with other guitarists or bassists, but never a drummer.
Apparently the JC 20watt combo is on sale this week for $299. This might be the best deal short of used.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583601
Quote by Offworld92
This is a popular misconception spawned by the amps of yesterday that did not have master volume knobs.

A good amp is a good amp. A good amp will sound good at any volume. All you're doing when you crank your amp is getting more of the power tubes in your sound rather than your preamp tubes. But most amps made today are designed to get their sound from the preamp, so using a tube amp at a low volume is really an outdated argument.
I agree with this.

I have used my Soldano Avenger at home for months now, and I rarely feel the need to crank it all the way up. When I do, I do it for the hell of it, not because I know it will sound ten times better.

Which brings to mind the Fletcher Munson Effect, stating that humans perceive tone and harmonics at a particular volume. Anything above or below that level and the sweet spot disappears. What you're hearing isn't necessarily power tube breakup or compression alone, it is the 'sweet spot' within the human ear, as well as subtle compression from within the amp.

If you're planning on using the Boss for the high gain sounds, a nice 40 watt valve combo, like the Peavey Classic 30, would be a more ideal choice than the Epiphone Valve Junior, because high gain pedals work a lot better in loud, clean amps, particularly those without EL84 valves - at least from my experience.

Quote by Jhachey22
Buying a 40 watt amp and keeping the volume at 1 or 2 all the time is like buying a Viper and only letting grandma drive it to church on sundays: it's too much muscke for what the job calls for. if you're looking for a practice amp, maximum wattage should be about 15 watts.
But if you feel like heaven and hell at the same time driving that Viper to church, what is the problem? I don't understand that illustration at all. Not only does it not relate fully, but it doesn't even make any sense, even if it did relate entirely.

There are loads of people who use Diezel Herbert's at home for recording because they sound great for that purpose. Just because they don't find the chance to crank it all the way up (which you wouldn't be able to do at a gig, either), it doesn't mean the amp has gone to waste.

P. Diezel designed the power section of the Herbert, not for super loud volumes, but for stiffness and interaction from the huge transformer required and the six valves, all mixed together or one and the same. All the tone really comes from the preamp valves. The power valves simply amplify the signal and make it more stiff and broad.

Same goes for my Soldano. I always have the volume just below drumming level, and because it sounds so wicked, I don't feel burdened by it. I feel like it's a lot quieter than it really is.

Quote by Knight_Hawk
But don't expect to sound like a massive stack with a tiny little Valve Jr and a run of the mill, cheap effects unit. You'll have a lot of distortion, but probably not a lot of tone.

This is all just my experience, so don't take it like the holy grail of truth.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
But don't expect to sound like a massive stack with a tiny little Valve Jr and a run of the mill, cheap effects unit. You'll have a lot of distortion, but probably not a lot of tone.

This is all just my experience, so don't take it like the holy grail of truth.
My experience with Vjr stack and pedals is that you can get it to sound like pretty much anything you want. And I wouldn't call the ME-70 a run of the mill cheap FX unit.
Quote by fly135
My experience with Vjr stack and pedals is that you can get it to sound like pretty much anything you want. And I wouldn't call the ME-70 a run of the mill cheap FX unit.
I guess you could make it work if you hooked up a nice 2x12 or 4x12, like an Orange.

Almost anything by Boss is run of the mill. The ME-70 has loads of functions and stuff, but it is cheap unit, considering its competition - Line6 M13, TC Electronic Nova System, Digitech RP 500/1000, Zoom G 9.2TT, Vox Tonelab SE.
It's actually the same price as some of the units you just names. I had, enjoyed, and sold a G9.2TT. I recently picked up an ME-25. It sounds just as good as the G9.2TT. The ME-25 does lack features, such as the ability to control modules with footswitches. But tonewise it's a match for the G9.2TT and the Tonelab ST, which contains some of Vox's latest developments. And the ME-25 has the kick a$$ freeze function.

So I find it hard to imagine that the ME-70 is lacking in the sound department compared to some of the units you listed.
Maybe we have different prices to each other, but look at this:

Boss ME-70 €260

TC Electronic Nova System €440

Zoom G 9.2 €355

Line6 M13 €420

Digitech RP 1000 €390

Regarding sound, I've never really found the Boss modules to be that great. Digitech have pretty much always done more for me than Boss, and so have Vox. Zoom are hit and miss, but the G 9.2TT is pretty good, and obviously the M13 and M9 from Line6 are great.

The Boss is not bad in any stretch of the imagination - it serves a popular purpose - but it's a cheap unit to me, and doesn't sound as good as a second-hand Peavey Classic 30 with an MI Audio Tube Zone for the br00tz, in my opinion.
Here...

RP500 - $299
G9.2TT - $299
ME-70 - $299

I used to own a GT-8 and the amp & distortion models were IMO not very good (as in fizzy). But the GT-8 is pretty old now. The ME-25 sounds a lot better. You can pretty much always find a separate pedal that beats a multifx.
Maybe it's just been too long since I've played a Boss ME, but I remember a guitarist in one of my old bands used to have one, and he matched it with a Roland Cube. Ever since then, even after playing them through a nice amp, they just don't do it for me.

Negative memories, I guess.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
But if you feel like heaven and hell at the same time driving that Viper to church, what is the problem? I don't understand that illustration at all. Not only does it not relate fully, but it doesn't even make any sense, even if it did relate entirely.

There are loads of people who use Diezel Herbert's at home for recording because they sound great for that purpose. Just because they don't find the chance to crank it all the way up (which you wouldn't be able to do at a gig, either), it doesn't mean the amp has gone to waste.

P. Diezel designed the power section of the Herbert, not for super loud volumes, but for stiffness and interaction from the huge transformer required and the six valves, all mixed together or one and the same. All the tone really comes from the preamp valves. The power valves simply amplify the signal and make it more stiff and broad.

Same goes for my Soldano. I always have the volume just below drumming level, and because it sounds so wicked, I don't feel burdened by it. I feel like it's a lot quieter than it really is.

Meh, different strokes different folks. I was saying that it would be silly to buy a loud amp if you're never going to use it to it's full potential. you can still do it, but i presonally see it as a waste.

you could spend $1500 on a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec, but if you're only ever going to be using it at home with the volume creeping up to 2 once and a while, you might as well spend the money on something built specifically for lower volumes.I guess I'm looking at it from a financial as well as a practical standpoint.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Maybe it's just been too long since I've played a Boss ME, but I remember a guitarist in one of my old bands used to have one, and he matched it with a Roland Cube.
I think the ME series has been around for a long time. Maybe they should drop using the same model name after a while to reflect the technology upgrades. I know I got turned off of Boss after the fizzy COSM on the GT-8.

I primarily got the ME_25 because of the small size, looper, and especially the freeze function. But was pleasantly surprised to see the fizz in the distortion gone.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Maybe it's just been too long since I've played a Boss ME, but I remember a guitarist in one of my old bands used to have one, and he matched it with a Roland Cube. Ever since then, even after playing them through a nice amp, they just don't do it for me.

Negative memories, I guess.

It could have been an old model. The ME-70 and everything after it are vastly superior is sound quality than the old pedals. I'm pretty sure they updated the cosm. The ME-70 and the GT10 are the only boss multi efffects I'd recommend, because they actually do sound really good. They have a bad name (like most stuff does) because of the inferiority of their older models, but the new ones are pretty damn cool.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Jhachey22
Meh, different strokes different folks. I was saying that it would be silly to buy a loud amp if you're never going to use it to it's full potential. you can still do it, but i presonally see it as a waste.

you could spend $1500 on a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec, but if you're only ever going to be using it at home with the volume creeping up to 2 once and a while, you might as well spend the money on something built specifically for lower volumes.I guess I'm looking at it from a financial as well as a practical standpoint.
That's my point: the volume is not necessarily there to sound loud, it is there to make it sound great.

I always play valve amps past number 2 on the dial (or 9 o'clock if you look at it that way), because they're too quiet and sound like pants otherwise.

Quote by Offworld92
It could have been an old model. The ME-70 and everything after it are vastly superior is sound quality than the old pedals. I'm pretty sure they updated the cosm. The ME-70 and the GT10 are the only boss multi efffects I'd recommend, because they actually do sound really good. They have a bad name (like most stuff does) because of the inferiority of their older models, but the new ones are pretty damn cool.
That could well be it.

Quote by fly135
I think the ME series has been around for a long time. Maybe they should drop using the same model name after a while to reflect the technology upgrades. I know I got turned off of Boss after the fizzy COSM on the GT-8.

I primarily got the ME_25 because of the small size, looper, and especially the freeze function. But was pleasantly surprised to see the fizz in the distortion gone.
I will try one again. At least it's Boss where I can actually find them pretty easily here in Ireland.
Page 1 of 2