Mexi strat, Epi lp standard, epi g400 sg-so ive played acoustic and wanna buy my first electric, im not sure if i want the bright sound of the strat the sustain of the lp or the sg double cut, ive done research and cant decide, this isnt a which one is better i just want opinions on each if uve played one
What style of music do you want to play? A Mexi strat with an HSS pickup configuration (1 humbucker in the bridge and 2 single coils) is a very versatile guitar. I don't have much experience with Epiphones though.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
You're better off with either on of the epiphone guitars. They both have hum buckers. While strats usually have one humbucker and two single coils. In my opinion, any guitar with hum buckers tends to be better. You get a heavier and bolder sound.
Quote by malmsteensolo
You're better off with either on of the epiphone guitars. They both have hum buckers. While strats usually have one humbucker and two single coils. In my opinion, any guitar with hum buckers tends to be better. You get a heavier and bolder sound.

Oh for crying out loud GTFO until you learn your shit about guitars.

OP try them all, some are more comfortable for others, it depends on you.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The SG has fewer moving parts that you’ll have to dick around with. That can be a good thing when you just want to learn to bang out some chords.
I own a cheap Strat, as well as an Epi LP... and I've played SGs in the shop. This is really, really a matter of preference - they all sound different and have different shapes, weights, etc. so you should just go down to your local music store and play them until you know which one you like the best.

By my own observations... the LP is heavy (I'm talking weight, not sound) and had the most comfortable neck. The SG was the lightest, with the strats somewhere inbetween. LPs have a darker sound, strats the most trebly, and the SG was kinda across between the two.

But really, just play them all and see what you like. They're all good instruments.
Quote by malmsteensolo
In my opinion, any guitar with hum buckers tends to be better.

Malmsteen would be disappoint.

I think the HSS strat is the best of the options regardless of what TS plays. Better build quality than Chinese Epis IMO.
Quote by siverstorm

I think the HSS strat is the best of the options regardless of what TS plays. Better build quality than Chinese Epis IMO.

I think a HSS strat is the best option simply cause it has both type of pickups in it, humbuckers and single coils, best of both worlds, especially if that humbucker has a coil split and the middle coil is reverse wound so you can get a humbucker in the 4th position.

But what everybody else said, it's a matter of preference.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Thank you for this. <3

"Moving parts" and humbuckers being "better" is all bullshit that these people should be slapped for spreading. This is a lot about feel, especially if you're just starting electric. More importantly though is what amp you'll be playing it through- get a good sounding amp and a guitar that feels good, and you'll be much happier.

I'd go with an SSS or HSS Strat, but we do need to know more about what sounds you like. Specific bands are even better.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by siverstorm

I'm a fan of his solos just not the guitars lol
for versitility a strat is your best bet. i prefer SSS myself but HSS works as well. of course you can't loose with your other choices either. play them all and consider what feels the best and what will work for the styles you wish to play. let your ears be your guide and the guitar will let you know its the one.
Holy shit, now I can see why people are starting to leave this site.

TS, here's what you do. You goto a guitar store, put each one of these guitars in your hands, and simply see which one you like better. Plain and easy. The important things you need to be concerned with when you're just starting is which guitar is going to be more comfortable for you to learn on. Will it hurt your hand less to use a guitar with a thick or thin neck? Which your fingers feel more comfortable on medium or jumbo frets?

Which guitar is going to have the most potential to make you want to keep learning and excell? That's the real question.

Don't worry about sound and versatility at this point, because it's all going to sound the same in the beginning, humbuckers or single coils.

Gear accentuates your sound, not makes it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I would personally stay away from the G400. I and many others have had terrible experiences with them.

that aside, it's just a comfort throw up between the Strat and the LP. Only you can know which is better for you, and you can only do that by holding them and determining which feels better in your hands.

rooster456's pretty much sums up exactly what you need to know.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by malmsteensolo

Doesn't malmsteen use single coils?

SHIT YEAH HE DOES!

Also strats usually have 3 single coils.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Sep 20, 2010,
as far as the type of music mostly classic rock led zeppelin, hendrix, clapton and such
Quote by Fleebz
as far as the type of music mostly classic rock led zeppelin, hendrix, clapton and such

Get a used MIM HSS strat.
I'd actually go SSS Strat. Clapton, Hendrix, Page, and a buttload of other guitarists used the SSS layout. It's not a huge difference, but SSS Strats pop up on our local used market a dime a dozen in comparison to HSS Strats.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
so nobody rely is siding with the epiphones, i actually read the lp standard was pretty damn good tho
I would go with the Epiphone my self since I am not a strat man. The Les Paul would be my choice of the 2 but I would look at the Wilshire before an Epi SG. They are an Epiphone original design and the batwing headstock is the coolest made by any company. There are 3 different models out there. Custom,Pro and 66 reissue. I own a Custom and love it. If I was looking to buy a guitar now I would get the Pro since it has coil taps to get single coil tones.The 66 has mini humbuckers. Good luck on your quest for an electric guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

this
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
The strat is just a better starter guitar IMO. The control layout is simpler, it's a lot sturdier, and the necks tend to be easier for people starting out with electrics. You may find that in a year or two you want an Epi, but if you're not sure, a strat is the way to go. HSS would be nice but isn't a necessity. It's your first guitar, you're going to love it for a year and then start noticing things about other guitars you like better, so there's no point in fretting too much over it now, when you can't be sure what you want. Get one that looks cool and learn how to play it.
Also LP's are f'n heavy. I still love them but it's something to consider.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Also LP's are f'n heavy. I still love them but it's something to consider.

Real LP's are heavy. Studios and Epi's are a pretty average weight.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
I can agree with go to the closest guitar store or Guitar Center and play them, and I have heard from many a people the g400 are loaded with problems but honestly, just go see what you like best and what feels comfortable to you
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Quote by Karlboy
Real LP's are heavy. Studios and Epi's are a pretty average weight.

I just played an Epi Standard at GC the other day and it was as heavy as any LP I've ever played. My dad was with me (30 years experience in bands), he said the same thing. They are made out of the same woods...
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Why do I get the feeling someone has never touched a Gibson Les Paul in this thread.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
so if i wer to get a mexi strat used hss or sss i kno the diference but nt sure which would fit me
like mention earlier, just pick them up at your closest gear acquiring building, and play them, go through all the pup settings and what not and see what you like
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I just played an Epi Standard at GC the other day and it was as heavy as any LP I've ever played. My dad was with me (30 years experience in bands), he said the same thing. They are made out of the same woods...

I can name countless guitars made of the same wood. It doesn't mean that they will necessarily all be a billion pounds.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Fleebz
so if i wer to get a mexi strat used hss or sss i kno the diference but nt sure which would fit me

the bridge is very twangy and thin...i sort of imagine funk, drr sound coming from it. its good but i dont think you need it...a humbucker would probably fit you bettter for zeppelin.

but its your choice really