Hey,

I'm kinda having trouble tuning my guitar after restringing? I literally can't get a single string in tune and my electric tuner works fine because I tried my acoustic on it, or am I just too scared of my strings breaking and I'm not actually tightening them enough?

Thanks.
Last edited by GrittyBlues at Sep 20, 2010,
You should stretch your strings when you put a new set on.

Usually what I do, is I put the string in the pole and get it wrapped once, then holding it in the nut, I put a finger under the string on the 3rd fret and pull it while tightening it. You don't need to be afraid to do that, the string won't break unless you really crank the tuner.

But since you've already tuned, tune your guitar up like a half step and leave it for a little white. The strings should stretch and settle.

EDIT: Using the 12th fret harmonic works really slick, too. That's usually what I do, unless I'm in a rush, then I just use the open strings. It's supposed to be more precise, granted your intonation is right.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Sep 20, 2010,
When you put new strings on, make sure to stretch them out, because strings naturally stretch.

What kind of guitar do you have? A lot of times bridges that are floating keep moving while you're tuning them.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
The Method I use is to tune a half step low. Play for a bit, doing lots of bends. Tune back up to 1/2 down, play a little. THEN tune up to A 440, play for a while until it goes out, then retune.

It's gentler on the strings, and they naturally have a chance to stretch their legs a little before being at proper tension for pitch. (That and it gives me a chance to play some 1/2 down stuff immediately after restringing)
POOPY-TRIM!
Quote by Rogue Hermit
When you put new strings on, make sure to stretch them out, because strings naturally stretch.

What kind of guitar do you have? A lot of times bridges that are floating keep moving while you're tuning them.

I solved the problem but yes this is happening? And I also have to adjust my inotation soon.

Thanks.