I took a break from posting here. I guess I got frustrated. I could tell you all so many things, but it is difficult to speak to you all individually. I've thought about it for a while, and there are some things about being in a band, that I think are universally true.

Ego. You need it. It is what allows you to get up and put yourself in front of other people, who will "judge" your abilities. Without it you can't preform. Too much of it, and you're just another DICK! Finding that balance is one of the most difficult parts of keeping a band together. Not only do you have to control your own ego, but you have to manage everyone else's.

I don't want to make this a wall of text. I just want you all to realize, that the most important thing you can do as a Bandleader, is to be as objective as you can, when evaluating your band. If you can't admit you suck, especially when you do, you can never fix the problems.

Not all problems can be solved without some pain. If you really want to excel, and a band member/s, are holding you back, you have to terminate them. I don't care if they were your BFF, if they can't play, they're gone.

There are others, but I'll see how you guys respond to this.

Also keep in mind that success is what you want it to be. If you just want to have some fun, and have some local fans, that is one thing. You can do that, and still be a pretty nice person. If you want more, you're going to have to learn how to be ruthless, and still appear to be a nice person. It is paradoxical, but people who can do it well, can literally make a person thank them for firing them. That is a whole different animal. To be honest, I made a conscious decision to never go there. I admit, I've never wanted to go there.

After all that, my question to all of you is this: Can you create the band you want, and also be able to keep your self respect? If your answer is yes, you don't need any help from me
I still haven't created the band I want so I personally don't know if I could. I'm willing to put a lot of time, effort and money into getting the perfect band started, and I don't care if people think of me as an egotistical maniac, because I know that I'm not one. And as long as I'm doing what I love I really couldn't care what other people think. I think it is definately possible to create an ideal band and also keep your self respect though.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Last edited by soundgarden19 at Sep 20, 2010,
well everything you said is true. learned the hard way by losing close friends but that's life and im glad i was on the better end of the stick.
Dick+strings= owww
It's possible but starting a band with your friends is just a bad idea in general. I upset quite a few of my friends when I was younger because I was a huge dick to them in the band. I don't know why, immaturity I suppose. I joined a band that recently split up very amicably after a good gig which i'm grateful for but it wasn't my ideal band.

I think if you want something to be your ideal band you have to be the leader, the song-writer etc. which sometimes isn't possible. I've started a wee ska band and I would like it to be created from my vision as much as possible but I realise that it just won't happen like that since there are other musicians who have different influences etc.

Really unless you're a one man band or in a band where everyone does whatever you want to play then you'll never have a perfect band.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by isabiggles
... I would like it to be created from my vision as much as possible but I realise that it just won't happen like that since there are other musicians who have different influences etc.

Really unless you're a one man band or in a band where everyone does whatever you want to play then you'll never have a perfect band.

Good insight here. You can have that "perfect" band, but it's probably gonna be the kind where it's obvious who the leader is (ie, a band like Nirvana), where you pretty much do all the songwriting/performing & everyone else just goes along to get along. I don't know exactly how perfect that is, but I think you get what I'm saying.
Quote by iheartblondie
but I think you get what I'm saying.

To be honest i'm not entirely sure I knew what I was saying so don't take offence when I say no, not really
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
I don't think there is a "perfect/ideal band". When I said the band you want, I meant a band that you can keep together for years. In most cases, the longer you can keep a band together, the father you will get. I don't mean that every member has to stay the same. People may come and go, but the band has to have a certain level of consistency.

Usually, it takes a core of two strong creative people to make things work. They also have to be able to work together.

A universal truth, is that having a successful band is a great deal of work, in many ways. If you're just starting out, it can be a money pit too. You need to be realistic about your resources. I've seen quite a few bands fail, because they couldn't do the work, or they couldn't afford the equipment they needed.
I seem to be in a sort of limbo as far as my music career goes, I just join or form a band, take a leadership role, it has some gigs and stuff, then breaks up. I don't think I've ever enjoyed any sort of "local following" as such, except in my home town where I catch up with my mate and do impromptu gigs every year. However that latter arrangement has been going on for years and years, and everyone goes "hey Shane and Alan are playing!".

So I'll go with the "around longer" = "more successful" logic.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Funnily enough, I've just helped to put together my own "perfect/ideal band"

It all started when I was talking to the guitarist of Slack Babbath (Hodge) at a party a few months ago. I said I'd had enough of what we were doing (practicaly the same set for the past 10 years, the disadvantage of tribute bands) and wanted to put a new band together and go and do something more original instead, so he asked me what my ideal lineup would be. So I said 'Me on bass, (because I want a change from being a lead vocalist and I actualy started off on bass guitar) you on guitar (simply because he's the best lead guitarist I've ever worked with) Stuart on rhythm, (a guy I used to be in a band called 'Clockwork Zombie' with, and again, like Hodge, the best rhythm player I've ever played with) Ian on drums (the drummer for Clockwork Zombie and also a one time drummer for another band that me and Hodge both play with, the '3 Amigos') and we could probably find a really good lead singer.'

Anyhow, he said he'd be interested if I could make it happen, but nothing more was really said about it, then I bumped into Stuart one day. He said 'Hey, I've just started jamming with a mate of yours.' so I asked him who it was to which he replied 'Watty'

Now, Watty is a seriously talented singer/songwriter from yet another band that I used to be in called 'Darkside', he would be perfect as the final member.

Then Stuart says 'Watty wants to put a band together, he says he wants me on rhythm, Ian on drums and hopefully you on bass.' and I'm thinking 'freaky'... this is basicaly the same line up that I was talking to Hodge about, so I said 'Tell him I'm in, then ask him if he wants a lead guitarist too and if we can have Hodge, and also tell him that I'll go and have a word with Ian.

Anyhow, word came back that Watty was OK with the lineup, but we couldn't get Ian because he's a very busy man, so we've basicaly been looking for a suitable drummer ever since, but a few weeks ago I was chatting with Ian and he suddenly announced that he is no longer as busy as he was and would now love to join the band.

So the dream lineup is complete. The best thing about it is that I have personal experience of each member and each one is an absolute dream to work with, no egos, each one extremely talented in their respective fields and all natural jammers. I'm guessing it's gonna be fairly punky with metal and rock influences, but quite varied. Only problem is, the wife of one of the guys is recovering from a recent bad accident, so we've agreed to postpone it for a few months while he's busy nursing her back to health, I'm thinking it'll be worth the wait for this lineup.
Hi, Slacker.
We've had the same trio(I really like) for over 2 years now, but this year we've been having a hard time getting together. The drummer has had 2 surgeries(he's good now), The bass player 1 surgery(he's good now too), and you just have to ride stuff like that out. All bands have problems. I guess we have what I call "old man" problems. It doesn't seem to matter what age you are, there are always obstacles. They may change as you get older, but they're still there. I'm glad you found your dream lineup, and have the patience to wait for it. It can be difficult, but as you say, worth the wait.
Slacker,
I totally know what you mean when you said you ended up pulling a bunch of members from past bands to put together a brand new super-band. Sanctuary Lost (my band)'s current incarnation is made up of four really skilled musicians (and me, haha) who have mostly all been in bands together over the years and came together pretty recently. At first, I was the only one that did any writing, just because a lot of the band's past members either didn't want to write, or did feel comfortable writing for some reason. But now, everyone's starting to contribute ideas more and more, and that's my ideal band; everyone can get their ideas heard. It's been five years (and well over ten bandmates come and gone), but I think we've found the lineup that clicks.
That's an interesting idea for your own "supergroup". I've been on the lookout for a decent guitarist who can share lead duties with me so I can sing. That's probably been the hardest part for me in relation to getting decent band members. I'll either end up with a rhythm guitarist who is completely servicable and great if I'm playing lead all the time, or a "lead" guitarist who knows how to solo and such, but doesn't have very inspired approach to "lead-rhythm" playing if you catch my drift. I'm not looking for people who play a chord for a bar then add a little lick at the end - I want someone who can actually create a distinct musical part to complement the chords that are already there. Too much to ask? :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Alan.
I'm thinking I may need to send you a PM, but I want others to see some of it.

Our drummer(after getting fixed up) also got married this week. He plays with another band, and we all came together to play a couple of songs at their reception. The band I'm in is punk/rock stuff, his other band is jazz/blues stuff. It was really cool putting us all together. I had no problem doing rhythm/singing. it was almost a relief. The other guitarist had a great time too, because he could do whatever he wanted to do. The funny thing is the drummer dubbed us his "super-group". I've avoided 2 guitars for a lot of years, but now I need to rethink my position.