Well I guess its not totally finished, got a couple more upgrades I'd like to make but more on that later. First, the pics:

Now on with my review/impressions. First of all, it's kind of funny reviewing a non production guitar since this won't help anyone decide whether they want to buy it per se' but since you can't "play" pictures its the closest thing I have to offer.

The guitar is a combination of a lot of cheap parts. Started as a TRASHED (painted, stickered, generally ruined) Johnson strat body. BrokenDString , one of the of the forum members here, offered me up an Xaviere Strat neck from GFS in a trade which spurred me to do something with this hunk of junk. I wound up getting a GFS pre-wired pickguard as well as some of their steel saddles for it.

The pickguard was a rough fit and required some trimming and sanding. The neck was a little better but has a little bit of gap on 2 sides. The one between the body and neck heel concerned me the most (despite being only a couple pieces of paper wide) so I went ahead and shimmed it with some thin cardboard. Seemed to help with the sustain a little bit to my ears. I'm looking to improve that further with an upgraded Trem block. The stock Johnson one weighs nothing and isn't helping matters in the least.

The pre-wired pickguard pickups sound decent if not a little bright, perhaps from pickguard mounting as opposed to being directly in the wood? They are super microphonic however. High gain induces awful squealing but I love a microphonic pickup for cleans and light grit. Will probably upgrade them down the road.

Overall, its been a really fun build. I wouldn't normally be pro relic'ing but this body was just too far gone to not at least try it out. Thanks for looking and I'd love to hear what you think.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Sep 20, 2010,
Are the pickups supposed to be in there backwards? That might have something to do with the strange tones you're getting...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Are the pickups supposed to be in there backwards? That might have something to do with the strange tones you're getting...

LOL, fail on my part! Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I think I'm going to switch them anyways, haha.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Last edited by ianae86 at Sep 20, 2010,
BrokenDstring you say!? That's me!

Excellent pics as always. This thing does look pretty great in person and doesn't sound too bad either.

HNGD-ish again!
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
First off, HNGD! Doesn't matter if it's new, used, or a rebuild, always a pleasure to have more sonic arsenal. I acually really like the way it looks, with it being worn and all. I'd say it gives it character!

And I agree with Sid. It appears the pickups are in backwards. Don't feel bad though, I've done it too. =P
Backwards pickups don't really matter. Only real difference is aesthetics. You might hear an extremely slight difference but it won't cause any functional problems.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
damn dude it looks like the worlds about to end in the sky.

you better take that in before it gets wet!
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Well after the mentioning of the pickups, I went ahead and flipped them and it did make a decent difference. The bridge pickup has a lot more attack/clarity and the neck is a lot darker. Not to the point where I can't imagine EVER wanting to change them but enough so that I feel its an improvement. Thanks for pointing it out

And thanks to all who left feedback on both the guitar and photos. I really appreciate it! And no worries about the rain, I made it inside in time.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Glad you got it sorted. HNGD

Glad you had fun doing it. That is the best way to learn. I'm not super hip to the red pick guard on black but damn that sky and that Strat look br00talz. Did you plan the picture out that way or what?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Glad you got it sorted. HNGD

Glad you had fun doing it. That is the best way to learn. I'm not super hip to the red pickgaurd on black but damn that sky and that start look br00talz. Did you plan the picture out that way or what?

Thanks! I've always liked that color scheme from the Jazzmasters that used it.

As far as the pictures, it was fairly dramatic on its own but the key is underexposing the image and using an external light source (in this case, an SB-600 flash) to light the subject properly. I enhanced the sky a little more using some simple steps in GIMP (essentially a freeware Photoshop) and those are the results.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Looks like you made a silk purse out of a couple of trashed sows' ears. Nice job! HNGD!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Looks like you made a silk purse out of a couple of trashed sows' ears. Nice job! HNGD!

Excellent analogy, haha! And thanks a bunch
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Bump before I head to work. Would love to have some fresh feedback to read when I get home in the morning
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Bump because I want everyone to see this thing and...because you need to beat the neck up moar.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.