Sorry to bug everyone about yet another "which amp" thread but I must. I will soon be in the market for getting a new amp. Right now I just have an Orange 30w crush. I'm looking at getting a nice tube amp. I was looking at the Orange Thunder 30 on a 212 cab because I love the overdrive and distorted sound that Orange has. I was also looking at something like a Fender Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod because I love the cleans. I don't know if either amp could do both really well? Anyone have an answer for that? I've also been looking into a Vox AC30C2X.

Basically, I'm looking for an amp that has really nice cleans that I could do something similar to Modest Mouse style alternative, to light/medium gain like the Strokes, to somewhat high gain stuff. It needs to take pedals well because I've got a few.

Essentials:
Budget: I'd like to not spend more than $1800 on a head + cab, or combo.
I'm willing to buy used.
I live in Richmond, VA. (Don't both checking craigslist. I'm not going to be able to get the amp for at least a little while)

Thanks for any and all help.

edit:
I should also add that it'll be used as my gigging/playing amp. I want this to be my perfect amp. I'd like to get it right on my first try, though we'll see how that works out. I'm hopeful.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Last edited by crzysnowborder at Sep 20, 2010,
Head over to Richmond Music Center. They carry the Mesa line. They can easily recommend the right Mesa amp for you. It will be a tad over your budget, but well worth it.
The Dr Z Maz 18 Jr.

The Dr calls it a mix between Fender, Vox, and Marshall.
(The 21'st century Deluxe Reverb if you will...)

The Jr. is one LOUD amp!! We think it's actually about 22 watts.

I would recommend the non-reverb Jr head. Has more gain than even the Maz Sr.

I love mine.
I think they give outstanding cleans, and does well with over-driven tones too.

I went through Humbucker Music, and took advantage of their free shipping.
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/drzamps.html

Shocking threads, that to me say the 'Maz 18 NR Model' is one special amp...

Topic: Love my Maz 18/ hate my Maz 38
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Maz38&action=display&thread=31450

Topic: New Sr has less low end than my Jr....
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Maz38&action=display&thread=31704

Topic: making a reverb more NRish
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=34651

Topic: 1st post - New Maz 18 NR
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=34325

Topic: Maz Jr NR through Greenbacks
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=33965

Topic: Maz 18 NR review
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=34138

Topic: MAZ 18 OR MAZ 18 NR???
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=33379

And my favorite for Jr info...
Topic: Tube lessons for the Maz 18 Jr.
http://drzamplifiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=30034
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 21, 2010,
Dr. Z is definitely a good recommendation.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Will at Maz 18 have enough headroom to get cleans over a drummer? Or should I look more at like a Maz 38?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the advice. This amp hunt is killing my head. There are so many different amps out there to choose from. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the amps I've looked at so far, but I want the perfect one for me...if that exists...

Any other recommendations are welcome.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
I know what you mean...

I thought at one time I was going for an Egnator, then Orange, then Vox, probably a few more in there too...

I think there are lots of good amps these days.

Ended up with the Jr., and not looking back.

Good hunting brother!
Making decisions of this magnitude is brutal.

I have one last comment you might like to know:
On his DVD, the Dr tells us that the Jr. is his #1 selling amp.
The NR model is the most requested version of the Jr., for the extra gain that it gives up, and/or low end thump.

Considering all of the outstanding amps that the Dr makes, I think that speaks for itself...
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 21, 2010,
I had the same choice recently, and ended up going for the slightly older Vox AC30CC1.
The Strokes tone is very synthy, and I doubt you would want any natural distortion or overdrive from any of those amps to achieve the sound. I tried all those amps when i was trying to find a new one, and my overview would be this.

Orange Crush (and in general) - Great gritty distortion, bad bad clean

Fender Blues Deluxe - Perfect tangy clean, useless overdrive (you would NEVER use it), loves to have pedals put in front of it, simple to use

Fender Hot Rod - Clean nearly as good as the Fender BD, the overdrive is still rubbish but not as pathetically week as the Fender BD, good with pedals, simple to use

Vox AC range - Beautiful glassy cleans, good light to medium broken up overdrive (not naturally overly harsh though, maxs out at foo fighters overdrive, not for any sort of metal), VERY heavy (weight wise), you need to have the volume above 3 to let the tone stabilise enough to put pedals in front, but then when you do it accepts them easily. A bit tricky to use, but worth it!

Any specific questions?
I listened to a bunch of demos of the Maz 18 on youtube. I'm not too sure about it. It sounds great, but I don't know if it's what I really want. Though I know it's youtube sound quality and it doesn't completely accurately display the sound.

Right now, I think it might be between some Fender, and a Vox. From alex's description, the Vox sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. I'm gonna have to go to the guitar center around here and play through a bunch of 'em and see what I think.

Thanks for all the help.

edit:
and about the Orange crush series...they're not great at all. cleans or overdrive. I actually hate the overdrive on it. It sounds terrible to me. It's just my practice amp and for my practice amp, all I really need is for sound to come out of it. I'm not terribly worried about tone. But I wouldn't ever really consider playing a show or recording with it.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Last edited by crzysnowborder at Sep 21, 2010,
Rockerverb 50 or AC30 will do you nicely. Think a fender will be too scratchy and bright for what you play, you want Vox/Orange 'chime'

Thought about a used Hiwatt?
Have you ever played the fender Blues Deluxe? It has an amazing middle range, not just high and scratchy. If I wanted an all round clean sound I would have gone for the Blues Deluxe, but since I prefer the glassier tone of the vox thats why I went for that.

P.S. If you are trying voxs, see if you can find both the AC30CC and and AC30C series, there is a difference between them.
yeah i was wondering what the difference is between the AC30C2X and the Ac30CC2X other than $300?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Last edited by crzysnowborder at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by alexdmottram
Have you ever played the fender Blues Deluxe? It has an amazing middle range, not just high and scratchy. If I wanted an all round clean sound I would have gone for the Blues Deluxe, but since I prefer the glassier tone of the vox thats why I went for that.

Good point, or maybe the Vibroverb too?
how about a Mesa Lonestar?? im a bit of a fan boy when it comes to mesa but its well within your budget and has great cleans and nice smooth distortion.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
how about a Mesa Lonestar?? im a bit of a fan boy when it comes to mesa but its well within your budget and has great cleans and nice smooth distortion.

Good shout, the Heartbreaker would work too.
Quote by kyle62
Good shout, the Heartbreaker would work too.

yeah that too, i'd say try those out and see what deals you can get on them.

http://www.richmondmusic.com/view_item.php?id=74 this fits perfectly in your budget
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
CCs have tube rectifiers, Cs don't have tube rectifiers basically. Cs also have two inputs for each channel, one low one high. Go and look at one in real life and you will see the difference. Never buy sound equipment worth more than £100 before trying all possible options.
also whats the difference between the AC30CC2 and the AC30CC2X?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Different speakers. If I remeber correctly AC30CC2 has wharfedale GSH12-30 (greenback) speakers and the X has celestion alnico blue speakers. The CC1 has a single speaker, either a neodog speaker or a Classic vintage G12 celestion.
There maybe slight mistakes in these in the bits put in brackets.