Hey guys!

I'm looking to replace the EMG's in my schecter hellraiser. It's a mahogany body.

What bridge/neck combo would you guys recommend if i need something that can clean up real nice in the neck, and something powerful, but not as powerful as the EMG 89 i have, for the bridge? I play mostly Vai, Metallica and strokes/arctic monkeys esque stuff.

What do you guys think about a EVO 2 in the bridge and FRED in the neck?

Thanks tons,
Cadillac15
Quote by cadillac15
Hey guys!

I'm looking to replace the EMG's in my schecter hellraiser. It's a mahogany body.

What bridge/neck combo would you guys recommend if i need something that can clean up real nice in the neck, and something powerful, but not as powerful as the EMG 89 i have, for the bridge? I play mostly Vai, Metallica and strokes/arctic monkeys esque stuff.

What do you guys think about a EVO 2 in the bridge and FRED in the neck?

Thanks tons,
Cadillac15

Forgot to add, playing through a VOX vt50
I have the "Breeds" (Dimarzio) in my Warmoth. They are awesome. They are some of Vai's. Go to the Dimarzio site and listen to them.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
I have the "Breeds" (Dimarzio) in my Warmoth. They are awesome. They are some of Vai's. Go to the Dimarzio site and listen to them.

Problem is, lots of Dimarzio's sound awesome

I'm just looking for a bridge with good metal/gain tone, and a neck with smooth soloing and nice cleans
Are your EMG's active? If so unless you put actives back in you have to change the pots. The Bridge BREED is a high output, the neck BREED is medium output.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Breeds are fairly high output, but they're fairly warm sounding pickups too, I don't think they'd be ideal for what you want, TS.
I think the EVO 2 would be great for the bridge, but I'd go for the PAF Pro in the neck.
Quote by JohnnyNash
Are your EMG's active? If so unless you put actives back in you have to change the pots. The Bridge BREED is a high output, the neck BREED is medium output.

Yep, active, and I plan on doing so.

I'm actually interested in the bridge breed. How would you describe it?
Quote by littlephil
Breeds are fairly high output, but they're fairly warm sounding pickups too, I don't think they'd be ideal for what you want, TS.
I think the EVO 2 would be great for the bridge, but I'd go for the PAF Pro in the neck.

Sweet, how's the PAF Pro for satriani smooth solo's?
If you want satch sounds just get a paf Joe, it's nice and versatile and very tubular as they describe, think of it having a very SLIGHT oo sound to the tone, overall very nice though
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
The bridge breed is strong. I get good clean sound and also it dirty's up nice. I actually like it better than the neck but using both and you have a kick ass sound. Just my opinion. There is about 9-10 sound clips on the site ranging from clean to dirty. I use it with a Fender Blues Junior amp right now but will be getting a Blackstar Club 40 and can't wait to hear them through it. I don't have any sound clips of mine yet but might try to get some up this week and let ya hear how they sound with the Blues Junior

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by cadillac15
Sweet, how's the PAF Pro for satriani smooth solo's?

Great. It was Satch's neck pickup of choice until 2003 when Dimarzio made him a signature pickup. I recommended the PAF Pro over the PAF Joe because its a little hotter and I think it'll mix better with the EVO 2.
Thanks guys, appreciate your help...

So I'm leaning towards the EVO 2 + PAF Pro right now, while considering breed.

Thanks!
FWIW, I really like the D-Sonic in my LP. It's similar construction to the Hellraiser (set neck, mahogany) and it is one of my favorite pickups. It's powerful for rhythm and handles leads fairly well too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by cadillac15
Yep, active, and I plan on doing so.

I'm actually interested in the bridge breed. How would you describe it?

Have a listen to the amp clips in my profile - that's a mahogany guitar with Breeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd go with a ToneZone, gets those vintage metal tones much better while having great cleans and being able to do everything else pretty good as well.

But it wouldn't scream like the evo 2 though...
Quote by cadillac15
But it wouldn't scream like the evo 2 though...

The Evo 2 is about the most lifeless pickup I think there is, an EMG 81 has more life to it. The ToneZone will do just about anything you ask it too, it's just hot enough to overdrive your preamp enough to get some good metal tones from it, but not so much that it overdrives the preamp on clean settings.

Using that ToneZone and a JSX my neighbor has managed to get the most Godly tones I've ever heard from a DiMarzio pickup.

If you got some cash, I can recommend you some pickups that will melt your face.

Barenuckle Miracle Man will melt your face off
Barenuckle Holy Diver will melt your face off
Rock Monkey Beef Bucker will vaporize your face off

3 custom made pickups that make the Evo 2 look like a pickup out of a First Act guitar.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The Evo 2 is about the most lifeless pickup I think there is, an EMG 81 has more life to it. The ToneZone will do just about anything you ask it too, it's just hot enough to overdrive your preamp enough to get some good metal tones from it, but not so much that it overdrives the preamp on clean settings.

Using that ToneZone and a JSX my neighbor has managed to get the most Godly tones I've ever heard from a DiMarzio pickup.

If you got some cash, I can recommend you some pickups that will melt your face.

Barenuckle Miracle Man will melt your face off
Barenuckle Holy Diver will melt your face off
Rock Monkey Beef Bucker will vaporize your face off

3 custom made pickups that make the Evo 2 look like a pickup out of a First Act guitar.

Ahh..so back to square one...Dammit dimarzio, stop making all these fine pickups!

And i'll check the other ones out too
Quote by ethan_hanus

I have to say that's not my experience of the Tone Zone, too mid-heavy for a lot of metal rhythm styles and downright shitty cleans. It excels at brash, in-your-face lead tones and it'll scream no problem but it's not a particularly versatile sound IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
I have to say that's not my experience of the Tone Zone, too mid-heavy for a lot of metal rhythm styles and downright shitty cleans. It excels at brash, in-your-face lead tones and it'll scream no problem but it's not a particularly versatile sound IMO.

What amp did you play it through? I know the pickup wont be for everybody, but I'm a firm believer after hearing what my neighbor could do with it through a JSX.

It might be better for a neck position though...

My BKP Painkiller is a pretty middy punchy bastard, but it does metal better than I could of ever hoped for(they call it the metal God in a pickup for a reason), matter of preference I guess.
Breeds are like hotter Paf Pro's and I have to agree with Steven that the TZ is not really a rhythm pickup.

I replaced the stock Paf Pro with one in my Ibanez and yes it has got the extra bottom and punch I was looking for but it is a bit too middy for proper metal, utterly screams though! You will probably want somthing darker for the bridge, i guess Crunch lab would fin the bill, dark and highish output. Perhaps a Super3 would do you, its quite middy and trebley but its not in a harsh way, it just allows you to scoop the hell out of the mids and still cut.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by ethan_hanus
What amp did you play it through? I know the pickup wont be for everybody, but I'm a firm believer after hearing what my neighbor could do with it through a JSX.

It might be better for a neck position though...

My BKP Painkiller is a pretty middy punchy bastard, but it does metal better than I could of ever hoped for(they call it the metal God in a pickup for a reason), matter of preference I guess.

That was through my Ashdown - it's not a terrible pickup by any stretch of the imagination but it's got a very distinctive tone that doesn't fit with a lot of styles, quite a dry tone and it's quite dense and busy sounding...there's a lot going on tonally which is why it's so good for solo playing. It really punches through in a mix and is responsive and dynamic provided you don't have it too close to the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I think i need some more saving up to do for BKP's, but anyways...

Dimarzio: Neck for clean bluesy stuff/smooth soloing with distortion = probably the PAF pro

now

Bridge: Hot enough for palm muting heavy metallica esque stuff, but not dark or cold tone like the EMG's. It should clean up at least ok, and be nice for soloing.

What do guys?
The Breed might still do a job for you, but if it's not quite edgy enough look into the Norton.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I like the tone zone, but I'm not sure that they would be ideal in a mahogany guitar. The tone zone has a good amount of low end and mids, and mahogany has a warm low end, so your tone might turn to mud with a tone zone...

As for the other pickups im not sure, I've only used the Tone Zone, HFH (you could put that in the bridge if you want a real bright screamer from hell...lol), and soon to be trying an air norton, which many have said is amazing for cleans and smooth solo tones.. but I dont have personal experience with it yet...

Good luck finding a pickup that suits your sound.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust