Hey guys, I've decided I'm going to get a new preamp. I'm thinking of going with the Presonus Firepod 8 channel, I picked it over the Profire because I just can't spend that much right now..

So after I get the FP, I'll need mics and cables..

I have a 57 right now, what should I get for a couple of toms, and overheads(which will also be used for acoustic, and vocals)? I don't know if i'll put a mic on the high hat. Also, what are some quality but cheaper cables? I have a Mogami gold but I can't afford any more haha.

Thanks & Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
SM57's can be used for snare/HH, vocals, and guitar cabinets. I've seen them used for toms as well. If you want to get overheads, I'd get a condenser mic. However, there aren't any good cheap condenser mics that are worth the $. I'd save up for a pair of real nice condenser mics like AKG C414's. They're expensive but the sound you get from those are amazing.

As for cheap cables, Monster cables aren't half bad. Again you get what you pay for.

EDIT: AKG, Rode, and Neumann make great condenser mics that are cheaper than those C414's. Also for toms, if you can afford them, the Sennheiser MD421's are great for toms.
Last edited by Hyjek at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by Hyjek
SM57's can be used for snare/HH, vocals, and guitar cabinets. I've seen them used for toms as well. If you want to get overheads, I'd get a condenser mic. However, there aren't any good cheap condenser mics that are worth the $. I'd save up for a pair of real nice condenser mics like AKG C414's. They're expensive but the sound you get from those are amazing.

As for cheap cables, Monster cables aren't half bad. Again you get what you pay for.

EDIT: AKG, Rode, and Neumann make great condenser mics that are cheaper than those C414's. Also for toms, if you can afford them, the Sennheiser MD421's are great for toms.

I don't really like using a 57 for vocals, I need two overheads and there are good cheap condensers, a Studio Projects B1($100) comes to mind, but was looking for more suggestions.

Also.. Monster cables are pretty high up there like $50 each for a nice size one I think? I was looking for some maybe budget $20 or $30 ones.. But I will check out the Sennheiser for toms.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch