Page 1 of 2
I've been begged by my friend Joe for quite some time to go to some short bible study and to a non-denomination church nearby on Saturdays specifically for youth link . Last week I decided to finally go, to give my senior year a good start. It was a lot of fun. On Friday I hung out with my friend Joe and some other guys from the group where they taught me boxing in their backyard. Day after we went to the church where they played live music, plenty of socializing and in general had fun. Met a lot of new people. Problem is I'm atheist. But these are awesome people and I would like to continue to do things with them.

Would you guys consider it wrong for me to engage in these religious activities for the sake of socializing and not for the actual religion?

Edit: I kinda would like the opinions of the pit's few christian followers but its fine for anyone to comment
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Last edited by ricanboyguitar at Sep 20, 2010,
if you have no religion what does it matter you? (unless you still believe then thats under what ever beliefs you have)
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
No. Nobody cares. Neither should you.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
It's cool bro, I used to go to church because there was this hot nun, you wouldn't imagine.

Ok maybe not but, yeah, do it.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
If you feel that bad about, tell them you're a non-believer, but you really enjoy how close knit the group is, and the friendship they've provided you so far. If they're decent human beings at all, they should understand.
Plenty of people at my old youth group did the same thing and it had well over 150 people at one point. Go for it if it's fun. I'm sure they want you to be there as well.
Basically no church would deny an atheist to participate with them, they figure it's the best chance they have at "showing you the light" anyways.
Hey, I do it from time to time.

Lie your ass off though, don't let them get any hint that you don't believe. I can't speak for all churches, but some will never leave you alone until they're convinced you've changed your wicked ways.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Sep 20, 2010,
personally, my own atheism (and also my tendency to be a generally quiet guy) precludes me from hanging out with religious people at religious functions. but if you're comfortable with being a closeted atheist, why not?

and if you decide to tell them, kudos. i feel like it might put the more fervent believers in an awkward position though.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Have fun while you can, but remember-if it's too good to be true, it probably is. They're just trying to gain your trust before they try to bring you over to the dark side.
Hey man, who cares. If it's not what you believe, it's all good. I used to go because I knew people there as well. But that was back in grade school. Now it's the same thing, except with other places. Like shitty bars at 2 in the morning on a Wednesday...

Ha.I did that for years but i decided that I would rather stay home and play guitar than go and listen to stories.
Quote by ricanboyguitar
I kinda would like the opinions of the pit's few christian followers but its fine for anyone to comment

I say go for it. The majority of my friends are Atheists, and I have no problem with it. What maters is that you're hanging around with a bunch of bros, no matter their stance on God.
just tell them your atheist and you enjoy the company and like them to hang around with. but if they're real christians, they might just exclude 'cause they only have "pretend" morals...
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Tons of people already go to church primarily for socializing. There are many atheists who continue church to not be scorned by their community.
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
Go, because even though you are not religious, you are still having fun.

Plus, it can be interesting to study religions, even if you don't follow them.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
haha im christian. i say go for it, its just experiencing something new, and your having fun with friends. if anything be open to religion (even though most of this site thinks religion is stupid). if your athiest thats fine, but hey, your going to a church thing, might as well be open to what they say, other than that, enjoy the socializing and have fun with people, if its a church then they should just be happy to include you.
Hey man, keep going, because you never know what's gonna happen and what God may have planned for you. And yes, I am a Christian.
Slappa tha bass
my mom made me go to church until i got confirmed after that i stoped but i would maybe go back to the youth classes cus this kid that was from the next town always had some good stuff *wink wink*
Quote by flanders_91
but if they're real christians, they might just exclude 'cause they only have "pretend" morals...

then they wouldn't be real christians.

do it. i'm a christian and i think it's fine. everybody has friends who don't believe in the same things. and like somebody said before, if you believe there's no god, then it doesn't matter anyway. just have a good time.
<3 u
Quote by guylee

I just nostalgia'd so hard.

you too? lmao

I so badly wanna watch rugrats right now
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
i think if you respect other peoples beliefs and not lie to them about your beliefs then go for it
I say go. As mentioned before, many people go for reasons other than belief. So as long as you're honest about it, you're a step ahead of all the "believers" who think they have their stuff straight. I did it for a bit and found that making an effort to understand they're way of belief was a great way to earn their respect and nobody was really bothered about me being around.
Oh they'd love convincing you, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you staying.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
no you are not wrong.. i go to church ( where my grand mother is the pastor) and ther is this girl that I plan to sleep with.

You are just having fun with cool people when you could be doing worse things on the streets or some shit like that.

If you enjoy it keep going.

...either that or join the military and go to war..they say there are no atheist in fox holes lol
I'm willing to bet that you're not the only one there to socialize that couldn't get a shit less about the religion
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

If I were in your position I would be disgusted at the thought of attending these youth groups at all.
I can take a road that'll see me through.
I would continue to go, but don't let them sweet-talk you into their basements...Or err...Religion....
It will sound gay if you go on about what a great group it is and how you value their friendship so much you had to come back for more despite your religion.

Just keep changing the subject. And never talk about politics with them.
Dammit that Rugrats picture just motivated me to watch Hey Arnold and Rocket Power on Youtube... so much for homework.

OT: If you tell them then it will either be awkward from them trying to convert you or they'll be cool with it. I don't know if its worth the risk though.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
I'd go anyways. These people will care about you whether or not you believe.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Well I'm torn on the issue.

The part of me that says everyone can have their opinions and yadada says thats fine, friends are friends.

The part of me that thinks people that are 100% convinced a work of fiction is fact, when so much of what it says is proven wrong, should be punched in the face says you should be punching them all in the face.

...changed my mind.

If you're gonna tell them all you're christian, and you're not, I think you're being as dumb as a "true believer".
Oh, you DO want a free demo?
Quote by groove.thang.
Well I'm torn on the issue.

The part of me that says everyone can have their opinions and yadada says thats fine, friends are friends.

The part of me that thinks people that are 100% convinced a work of fiction is fact, when so much of what it says is proven wrong, should be punched in the face says you should be punching them all in the face.

...changed my mind.

If you're gonna tell them all you're christian, and you're not, I think you're being as dumb as a "true believer".

Ya know, some of us here actually do believe in Christianity. You could be a little more respectful.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Page 1 of 2