My lexicon alpha just isn't cutting it any more as far as capturing my sound goes. It comes in too harshly even though the waveform is fine. it's too hard to control the level accurately and the headphone jack is a POS. I'm looking at getting a nicer 1394/firewire interface around christmas, so what would you guys suggest? I'm looking for something around $300 - I saw a Presonus one on Sweetwater for $300ish, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuMobile/

Any experience with it?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
real honestly, I don't need 10 channels for stuff. At least, not yet.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you have a USB2 port on your PC, go with that - it's faster than 1394. I'd recommend the Tascam US-2000. I have one and love it.
I do have a USB 2 port but the two technologies work differently. 1394 is streaming, USB transfers in bursts. Which makes 1394 inherently better for recording.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I have the M-Audio Firewire 410 and that works great, it has 2 mic inputs and uses firewire...obviously. They don't make the 410 anymore but they just came out with the 610 which is just the newest model.
No dropouts here with PreSonus FireStudio Mobile. I use it with Ableton Suite 8.
Quote by lextexrex
No dropouts here with PreSonus FireStudio Mobile. I use it with Ableton Suite 8.

is the signal fairly decent? It doesn't come out harsh?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
If you'll never need the 8 inputs or extra features, stay away from the FP10. While it's always good IMO to go a step further when buying so you don't outgrow too quickly, the FP10 doesnt seem to be supported anymore and W7 drivers were already a PITA to get when that OS came out.

The new Firestudio Project and Firestudio Mobile are great units and for the price, I would go with one of them.

Although firewire has a better connection, I've used USB2.0 interfaces in the past without any issue. Firewire is more common in the higher end units as well as Video Production gear but I really think USB is fine for some audio situations.
Still, I'd go firewire these days...at least until Light-Peak comes out...
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 22, 2010,
I found USB in my experience has been utterly crappy for recording guitar. Not sure why exactly.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I'd suggest something by TC electronics if you want an efficient audio interface with a fair amount of I/O and DM capabilities..

Choose from the Konnekt series, or just browse their webpage for a good choice..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by oneblackened
I found USB in my experience has been utterly crappy for recording guitar. Not sure why exactly.

Could be the slower processor speeds as USB does need faster CPUs to transfer data quickly....but either way, I think both are fine these days but being into video production, I always go back with a Firewire connection myself.

Quote by 'Poco Askew' - free drum lessons forum

Not that it really matters but FireWire is faster. Even the original FireWire 400 almost always has a higher throughput than USB 2.0. Since about 2003, FireWire 800 is MUCH faster. The problem with USB is it is a master/slave architecture and requires a lot from the CPU to arbitrate. FireWire uses an intelligent peer to peer system and can handle requests on its own. Once USB 3.0 is out, that will change the rules again. When in doubt, go FireWire but either connection should work fine.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 23, 2010,
I'd find a used MBox 2 Pro, they're going for about 500 now, but totally worth it.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds