ive been playing guitar a while, maybe 5 or so years
i play alot of metal and my favorite bands are anathema and opeth
i know most of u know the fingerstyle opeth does, so im kinda looking to do some kind of doom acoustic sound like that. im not an accomlpished fingerstyler but i can play acoustic pretty well already and id like to continue, but i dont have any experience with classical guitars... suggestions?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
If you want to lean more towards the side of metal still, a lot of metal bands will use steel-string acoustic when they do their acoustic songs. As well, it might be more in the same vein as what you're already used to playing.

I've played acoustic guitars for over 8 years, and going to a classical can still be a slight jump at times. It has a wider neck, and the strings just have a completely different feel to them. Something that takes a little bit of time to get used to.

As well, if you play with a pick, I would recommend a steel string. I know very few people who will use a pick on a classical guitar, as they weren't really intended to be used with one. If you want to strum more, go steel string.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by GandalfWh1te
im an accomplished finger styler.
I have some advice fo ya
quit making gay threads in a guitar forum,
and play a guitar.
rinse and repeat.

Don't believe there was any need for that. You can't blame a guy for looking for a bit of advice in a realm that he is unfamiliar with.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
They both have their perks... I prefer Nylon for metalish stuff. Metal reminds me of classical in a lot of ways. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC7I2VY54Fo

But then you also have this kinda stuff.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0sfHA3EbAc
More Nordic type metal.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
A lot of Opeth acoustic sounds good on a steel string. In "To Bid You Farewell" for instance, one of the guitars is nylon but it sounds good played on steel too. If its a choice between buying steel or nylon however, you might also find steel more versatile, depending on what else you play. If money is no object then nylon sounds haunting and more mellow so give it a try.
Last edited by g1jammer at Sep 21, 2010,
I think you'll appreciate the versatility of a steel string over nylon. When you need to give it an extra little boot full of harder dynamics, the steel string wins.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yeah, i guess i couldve answered my question on my own i just wanted to head what u guys had to say, i dont remember the last time ive been logged in :p
yeah, i should probably stick with acoustic, although nylon would be fun to play
how quick does nylon guitars' sound die out? are they all punchy then the note dies out?
because if the notes linger i guess ive got an open choice again

▼ but he is ▼
Firstly, I just need to clear this up...

Quote by GandalfWh1te
im an accomplished finger styler.
I have some advice fo ya
quit making gay threads in a guitar forum,
and play a guitar.
rinse and repeat.

I agree, there was no need for that comment, or any of your other comments. I've seen what you've said in other posts, and there just isn't any need to give **** to other people that aren't as experienced as others. I'd love to see you ask a "gay" question now and see everyone give you bad answers, like you have given others. If you aren't going to be nice, don't comment in future please.

Now to answer your question TS, I personally vote a steel string for metal, because nylon I'd say is more 'soft' if you get me. I can only comment from personal experience though. But yes, most metal groups use a steel stringed guitar for acoustic covers. Hope I helped .
Quote by captivate
I think you'll appreciate the versatility of a steel string over nylon. When you need to give it an extra little boot full of harder dynamics, the steel string wins.

This.
Quote by Fieryhead
Firstly, I just need to clear this up...

I agree, there was no need for that comment, or any of your other comments. I've seen what you've said in other posts, and there just isn't any need to give **** to other people that aren't as experienced as others. I'd love to see you ask a "gay" question now and see everyone give you bad answers, like you have given others. If you aren't going to be nice, don't comment in future please.

Now to answer your question TS, I personally vote a steel string for metal, because nylon I'd say is more 'soft' if you get me. I can only comment from personal experience though. But yes, most metal groups use a steel stringed guitar for acoustic covers. Hope I helped .

lol no need to keep burning the 2010 banned kid
were all grown ups here (looks around) >.>
this place is not what it used to be... lol
anyway i guess im just gunna have to have to take a look around my local shop when i get a chance

▼ but he is ▼
Steel or Nylon? well if anything i dont think it matters about the genre i mean yeah if its metel then go with steal strings. But everybody is different on how to play. However you've been playing for what 5 years? so im sure your fingertips are pretty Ruff? but lets say the situation was constant finger picking and maby sweeping for a long time ranging from a song of about 4 to 7 minutes. if you can last this long playing the entire song with out your fingers completely sore or hurt then yes go with steel.

But if not then yes use nylon. and if its acosutic then most people use steel, if classical most people use nylon.

i use steel on my acoustic guitar and as a guitar player of 6 years ima say the best strings (Remember this is only my opinion) would be DM or GHS strings. i dont use nylon so i cant help you out on which to use.
Quote by Amer1ca
Steel or Nylon? well if anything i dont think it matters about the genre i mean yeah if its metel then go with steal strings. But everybody is different on how to play. However you've been playing for what 5 years? so im sure your fingertips are pretty Ruff? but lets say the situation was constant finger picking and maby sweeping for a long time ranging from a song of about 4 to 7 minutes. if you can last this long playing the entire song with out your fingers completely sore or hurt then yes go with steel.

But if not then yes use nylon. and if its acosutic then most people use steel, if classical most people use nylon.

i use steel on my acoustic guitar and as a guitar player of 6 years ima say the best strings (Remember this is only my opinion) would be DM or GHS strings. i dont use nylon so i cant help you out on which to use.

its not a matter of my fingers lol, its purely based on the sound of the guitar.

▼ but he is ▼