Right, I've been noticing a weak clean signal, and have also noticed that pretty much all the pedals on my board are true bypass, with the exception of my Malekko delay (which is in the loop) and my unmodded Whammy (I know, BLEUGH), so I've decided it's time to get a buffer of some sort to throw at the start of the chain. And I've noticed a lot of buffer pedals actually come with a boost (or the boost comes with a decent buffer, whichever you prefer), so I might as well grab a buffer/booster pedal.

At the moment, the contenders are the MI Audio Boost 'n Buff, and the Wobo Buffer/Booster.

Now, what I understand the difference between the buffer part of these pedals is that the MI Audio is a high impedance buffer, whereas the Wobo changes your signal into low impedance. Wasn't really sure about this, is there much of a difference between low or high impedance signals going into your amp? And do pedals react differently to low impedance? Because I remember reading something about pedals being designed for a high impedance signal, and wondered whether a low impedance signal would make any difference?

Overall, I'm looking for something with clean boost, a decent buffer, and small footprint.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Sep 21, 2010,
Low impedance signals don't degrade over long cable runs like high impedance signals do. you definitely want a low impedance output if you want to make a difference. Otherwise it might as well not even be there. If you want a boost you'll have to find one with a buffered bypass. Otherwise it won't really do anything unless it's on. The only thing is low impedance signals don't work well with fuzzes. So you want the buffer placed after any fuzzes or other low input impedance pedals. Or you could use another buffer that only comes into the signal chain when the fuzz is kicked on. But that requires mods and shit.

If you want a transparent boost, the MXR/CAE Line Driver is great on the relatively cheap side of things. Works as a buffer when activated. Lovepedal makes a stand alone buffer for like $100 too if you want it always on.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Low impedance signals don't degrade over long cable runs like high impedance signals do. you definitely want a low impedance output if you want to make a difference. Otherwise it might as well not even be there. If you want a boost you'll have to find one with a buffered bypass. Otherwise it won't really do anything unless it's on.

Yep, got that. The Wobo falls nicely into this category.
Quote by mmolteratx
The only thing is low impedance signals don't work well with fuzzes. So you want the buffer placed after any fuzzes or other low input impedance pedals. Or you could use another buffer that only comes into the signal chain when the fuzz is kicked on. But that requires mods and shit.

Hmm. The only fuzzes I use are a Little Big Muff and Fuzz Factory, and when I use the Fuzz Factory, I put it first in the chain. I've read that the Big Muff has a low input impedance; does this mean I can use this with a low impedance signal?
I thought the Big Muff had a fairly high input impedance? Lemme check. It works fine with everything I've ever tried one with.

The Fuzz Factory should be before the buffer. Otherwise it will cause problems.

Are you up to trying to build a buffer? They're extremely simple and if you build one yourself they're only $30-$40. Less if you don't need it footswitchable.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The Fuzz Factory should be before the buffer. Otherwise it will cause problems.
Yeah I get that.
Quote by mmolteratx
Are you up to trying to build a buffer? They're extremely simple and if you build one yourself they're only $30-$40. Less if you don't need it footswitchable.
Depends, I'm now pretty set on changing my signal to low impedance, any builds for that you know of? But I guess I still do have the Little Big Muff to account for. And the Wobo's only like $90AUD including shipping.
http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Thunderpuss/Thunderpuss_ver1.pdf

Just keep the pot set at minimum or wire a resistor in it's place. You could also use two pots and make them footswitchable for a boost when you want it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Hmm. I'm not really up to throwing together circuits at this stage, come to think of it. But that could come in handy for later on. Thanks!

And also, come to think of it, isn't it that low impedance doesn't work well with germanium trannies?
Transistors don't really matter. It's all in the input impedance of the effect.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Okay then. Could I try the Muff after a buffered-bypass effect to see if there's any change to the tone, and then use that to decide whether I should get this Wobo pedal?