I've reached another plateau of playing guitar again, only this time it's getting frustrating. I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half and I've gone through the ups and lines of things I can't do and bam I'm suddenly able to but with solos it's kinda frustrating. I prefer to play songs by Motley Crue, AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and have no problem playing any part of the lead or rhythm guitar until I get to a solo. I can't complete a solo or nail it even close if I do. I can do some of the AC/DC solos but they don't sound quite right and other solos I just can't execute properly. Personally, I think it has to do with my lack of knowledge of scales and how I can't exactly tap right and get clear notes but muffled ones. I'd love to learn scales but I play by tab and ear and have no idea how to read music lol. So if anyone has any kind of tip to do so, or any way to build my self up to play a solo, or even songs with easy solos or riffs that are great to build on, I would gladly appreciate it.
try learning fall out boys "i dont care" its not very difficult, but a great song to build on
try learning easy pentatonic licks, then applying them to your lead guitar improv solos...

many solos, like the solo for freebird, are built upon "licks". they have a lick, maybe a bar or two long, then they loop it, and that creates a larger chunk of a solo.

check out these tab licks using the pentatonic blues scale. they should be pretty easy to learn, and can be used in a wide variety of solos!

here is the scale if you need it:

Hello, I'm a newbie here. I stumbled upon this discussion and found it very informative and useful for me as I'm into learning guitar these days so this info will be of lot of assistance to me and I would like to keep in touch for more such stuff. Thanks for sharing.
I found this guys youtube videos on technique here the other day and they are all awesome. Highly Recommended. Link
Pick a solo, start practicing it. When you hit a technical problem, break it down, analyse it and practice the part, which causes you trouble. Becoming a decent guitarist requires active analysing of yourself as a musician, going through different resources to find information and using that information for learning and practicing correctly. And this doesn't mean only technique, it includes theoretical knowledge and aural skills too.