...hi.

hears the problem, my fingers get calluses like they should but after a while they get all flaky and peely and my index finger gets a pit from where the skin was which makes it harder to fret with that finger.
i normally just stop playing till my fingers go back to normal which can take 4-6 weeks( if not longer). i know that there's got to be a way to prevent this or is it normal ?

I've been a guitarist for 5 years now and i always get this problem.

any help would be nice. thanks
Patience is really the only thing I can think of. That and maybe eating lots of raisins and peanuts. Of course you could just tough it out and peel off the callused skin. I mean do guys like zakk wylde or Kirk hamett cancel a world tour for weeks bc of a little pain in their fingers? A little food fer thought.
I get exactly what you've just described and i've been playing as long as you too. My fingertips go through stages... Right now i've enough dead skin to play through the pain. But only for a few more days...
I just keep playing. The calluses seem to alway just become soild again. If you have to pick any skin off don't take anymore off than you have to.
I used to get that a lot with my first guitar. it's a really old acoustic with brass strings and really high action. I had to push really hard to fret and it killed my fingers. I used to think that all guitars are like that but ever since I've gotten an electric my fingers look normal.
I get that problem and ive been playing for only 10 months.

I actually have a groove on my index, middle and ring fingers where the string sits. This happens to me when my strings get old. Ill put on a brand new set of strings(Erine Ball 9's) and with in 20 minutes i can see pentatonic patterns worn off the strings. And my finger tips turn a light green tint from the chrome on my tips. Once i reach this point it hurts to play(But i play anyway), so i go through strings like once a week.

I just bought the coated ernie balls and at first it was like playing silk strings, so smooth and soft,but that lasted 45 minitues before i wore them out. they dont hurt as much to play once the shine is gone but $12 a pack is too much for the way i go through them. I play anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day, and i dont wash my hands before i play. Just the moisture on the outside of my beer gets on my tips and i rub em on my jeans.
4-6 weeks?? thats rediculous. you need tougher fingers man. try this. play until you get massive (like 3/16in tall) blisters on your tips. try to get them to cover as much of your tips as possible. fastest way for me was to play old iron maiden tunes with the really fast bendy solos. ITS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT POP THESE BLISTERS.

after about 2 days the blisters will have dried up and you will be left with super tough callouses. give them a warmup for about an hour then stop playing until the next day. on the next day play until they rip off, then play until you get the super big blisters again.

do this a few more times.

what this does is build up the toughness of the inner layers of your fingers, the REAL meat, if you will.

you may think im trollin but im not. i did this for about 2 weeks, and now as squishy as my fingers are, my tips are like hardened steel. no more pits, no more divots, no more pain.

ETA: you may drain the blisters and inject them with the same amount of compound tincture of benzine. CTB will keep it from getting infected and supposedly helps toughen the skin too, but that may just be rumor.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Last edited by satanicgurrl at Sep 21, 2010,
I've never had a callus on my fretting fingers, but my index finger on my picking hand has one and it always rubs up against the strings when I play. I just man up and deal with it.
Quote by malmsteensolo
Patience is really the only thing I can think of. That and maybe eating lots of raisins and peanuts. Of course you could just tough it out and peel off the callused skin. I mean do guys like zakk wylde or Kirk hamett cancel a world tour for weeks bc of a little pain in their fingers? A little food fer thought.

it doesnt hert. I just cant hamer strings properly be caus it v's like this. . _ . ___
....................................................................................................../--\-/ ---\....
.....................................................................................................|.|;;;;;;;;;||...
.....................................................................................................|.\;;;;;;;;/.|...
.....................................................................................................|...''''''''''....|...
try playing "caledonia" by dougie maclean with that!!!
....ok, maybe not so dramatic but you get the idea.

Quote by morciu
I used to get that a lot with my first guitar. it's a really old acoustic with brass strings and really high action. I had to push really hard to fret and it killed my fingers. I used to think that all guitars are like that but ever since I've gotten an electric my fingers look normal.

my first guitar a Jasmine by Takamine is hard to play too. my fender-ga and yamaha are a lot nicer and dont bother my fingers.
so yeah, its my jasmine that does it especially when i play blues on it.

Quote by satanicgurrl
4-6 weeks?? thats rediculous. you need tougher fingers man. try this. play until you get massive (like 3/16in tall) blisters on your tips. try to get them to cover as much of your tips as possible. fastest way for me was to play old iron maiden tunes with the really fast bendy solos. ITS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT POP THESE BLISTERS.

after about 2 days the blisters will have dried up and you will be left with super tough callouses. give them a warmup for about an hour then stop playing until the next day. on the next day play until they rip off, then play until you get the super big blisters again.

do this a few more times.

what this does is build up the toughness of the inner layers of your fingers, the REAL meat, if you will.

you may think im trollin but im not. i did this for about 2 weeks, and now as squishy as my fingers are, my tips are like hardened steel. no more pits, no more divots, no more pain.

ETA: you may drain the blisters and inject them with the same amount of compound tincture of benzine. CTB will keep it from getting infected and supposedly helps toughen the skin too, but that may just be rumor.

i use to get blisters back when i first started to play.

I did some reading to day and some people were saying that they use a emery board and lightly sand the callouses when they get flaky. does this work?
I always just ignore the flakes, and it honestly stops hurting anyway, flaky or no.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...