Is it worth it? I mean, when I was in high school nobody was interested in actully learning the stuff just messing around....

Does it work out worth it or should I aim for somethng different you think?
Fender Lonestar Stratocaster
Epiphone LP Standard
Peavey Milestone III bass
Tanglewood rebel 4k bass (r.i.p)
Marshall G215CDR
Shure SRH840
I did a teacher training thing not so long back where I taught maths and music. It's worth it. Music teaching gives you complete freedom to teach how you want in a way other classes don't, You'll always have uninterested kids meaning you'll always have to try your best =]
It's definatly worth looking into if thats something you'd consider as a career.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Quote by MWriff
Is it worth it?
That's an interesting question. What value system would you apply here?

Consider this: if over an entire carreer as a music teacher you can awaken a single kid into appreciating music to the point of becoming a musician instead of a politician, a lawyer, a banker or a soldier, you my friend have made the world a better place.
I work with high school and college teachers.

It doesn't matter which one, they all complain about the majority of kids who are either in the class to earn credits, or because their parents are making them take the class, or just because they thing they can play...but don't practice.

It drives them nuts that they have to teach the same things over and over and the person never practices, never completely understands that they are learning from practically a master and they don't take advantage of it...an advantage that would last them the rest of their lives.

This is the same story from about 8 high school and college instructors I work with.

This was my dream at one time, now a few decades later I'm glad I didn't go that route. Instead I teach nothing but intermediate and advanced students one on one, I plan their lesson routine around their amount of time to practice and how dedicated they are. Most of the other teachers respond to my situation like, "yeah, that would be nice...but I have to be in class first thing tomorrow with Joey who I've been teaching the same thing over and over to".

These are great teachers too...I'm mean great...you get on a few gigs with them as a musician you'll learn stuff you never want to forget.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Sep 21, 2010,
I am a teacher in Ontario, Canada. Though I teach grade five, I am certified to teach music up to the end of high school.

First off... if you don't feel "called" to teach, for God's sake, don't do it. You'll be happier doing something easier - like digging ditches, or working in a cubicle. If you do feel "called" to do it, then read on.

The job of a high school music teacher is one of "creating your own position." Let's say you teach at a high school with 1200 students. In order for you to have a full time table of teaching music, you need roughly 200 of those students taking music in any given year. That's 7 classes of 28 students per class.

In Ontario, you have to take one arts credit to graduate. That means that, of all the kids coming into grade nine, some will take music, some will take art, and some will take drama. The good news is that most of the slackers will take drama, because it will be seen as less work.

On the good side, that means that everyone who takes music at least sort of wants to be there. Or at least, sees it as the least of the evils. On the bad side, let's say there are 300 new grade nines coming in, only 100 of them are taking music.

That means that you need to get 100 other kids to take music, or else you don't have a full music timetable.

You need to sell your program all the time. You go to feeder schools and get your kids to perform in hopes of getting more kids signing up for music than art or drama. You do performances for the school trying to get kids to join the music program, and trying to make sure that the kids you do have STAY in the music program. The trick there, is that after grade nine music, they have the one arts credit they need to graduate.

One way of building programs is to offer guitar classes. Of course, guess where all the slackers go... guitar class!!

Depending on the school, board, etc., you might also be the person responsible for fundraising to help ensure that your program has what it wants - or needs - to do what you want it or need it to do.

So, what if you DON'T get your 200 kids? Well, as a certified teacher here in Ontario, your teaching degree with qualifications in the intermediate division allow you to teach almost any subject up to and including grade ten. (music and French being about the only obvious exceptions.) That means that, on a timetable of 7 courses, you have three lines of music, a grade nine math, a grade ten history, a grade ten civics, and a grade nine intro to business.

Want more music? You take that dog's breakfast of a timetable and manage to find time to sell, sell, sell your program! Get those numbers up. Get 30 more kids to take music and you can drop that line of grade ten history. Get twenty more and you can drop the intro to business.... but you're still stuck with the math and civics. Sell, sell, sell!!

Now, my goal was originally to teach high school music. I just kind of "landed" in elementary and have been teaching grade five for 12 of my 14 years teaching. I love it. Funny that the two years I did spend teaching music were the only two years I hated teaching. (mind you, the problem wasn't just music... there were other factors.)

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.