I've noticed that there are guitars with two layers of finish:
the inner layer being polyurethane, and the outer being nitrocellulose lacquer

I know that some fender guitars do this, and many Edwards les paul copies from japan are finished this way.

As far as I know, each kind of finish has its own pros and cons.
I know that polyurethane finish is very durable, but does not let the wood breathe or age well, and blocks some of the tone.
The nitrocellulose lacquer finish is thin so that the wood breathes, ages, and vibrates better, but is pretty weak and easily damaged...

so why the hack would you want nitro on top of poly?? wouldn't it kind of be pointless that they use the thin, sensitive finish over a glassy tough one? not to mention that even if the lacquer is chipped or wears off, there's gonna be a poly finish under it anyways...
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
Quote by thelax
and blocks some of the tone.

Oh not this again.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
Oh not this again.

actually, no, it's not "this again"

if what I've heard about the poly finish is not all true, then it's fine, I really don't give a sh*t about THAT at this point. I'm not here to discuss that issue.
looks like you are not getting the main point of what I'm asking

EDIT: typo... it happens
Guitars:
Last edited by thelax at Sep 21, 2010,
it's cheaper, far as i'm aware. It gives you the feel of nitro without the cost. Tokai does it too on the cheaper, nitro-finished MIJ guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd rather have one or the other not a combination and personally I prefer Nitro. The advantages of Nitro would be totally negated by having an underlying coating of polyurethane and the reverse is also true. The toughness of poly is negated by having a more scratchable finish over it.
Therefore, like Dave_Mc says it is a cost saving measure that must be intended to make you "feel" as if you've got a Nitro finished guitar.
Moving on.....
thanks guys... so looks like it's just a cost-effective way to technically call the guitar "nitro-finished" with no real sonical or structual benefit;;

I thought it might be like a best of both worlds kind of thing, but I guess my first suspicion was right :P
Guitars:
well the benefit is that it does feel more like nitro, if you prefer that feel. and it looks like nitro. But yeah, it kinda is a marketing thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you don't have an amp that costs more than $1,000, and have the gain above 3, you probably wouldn't be able to tell a huge difference, anyway.
oh i can hear a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMAYWeZVjGQ

nitro finish, that sounds badass.

This one doesn't have the nitro finish, and notice how different it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53j_31P2aRI

Conclusive, I'd say.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The point is to give the guitar the feel of nitro, since I know nitro is a more desired feel to it, but since nitro is expensive, they do a half and half finish, first half is poly, then nitro over it so it feels like a nitro finished guitar.

^ no shit, the first one is a 1959 Les Paul, the second one is a trumpet, no wonder they sound different.
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh i can hear a difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMAYWeZVjGQ

nitro finish, that sounds badass.

This one doesn't have the nitro finish, and notice how different it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53j_31P2aRI

Conclusive, I'd say.

After watching the first link I opened the second one in a new tab and didn't look at it... the sudden trumpet scared the **** out of me
Guitars:
but you can feel the tone in a nitro guitar.

probably can't hear it, but you can feel it, so it's really there.

yup.
Quote by thelax
After watching the first link I opened the second one in a new tab and didn't look at it... the sudden trumpet scared the **** out of me

hahahaha result

Quote by Ratraisin
Wow, you can really hear how trebl-y it is without the nitro...

hehe, yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?