Hi guys just wanted some advice on what the best matching ohmage would be between my head and speaker.
I have a Mesa Single Rec and a Marshall 1960 cab. The Mesa has a 4 ohm, and 8ohm output and the cab has a 4ohm and 16ohm switch.

I have been running it 4ohm to 4ohm but just wondered whether this meant i wasnt getting as much power as if i had a 8ohm to 8ohm match? is that how it works? i also read that there are some mismatches that work, i.e. i could put the 8ohm output on the head to the 16ohm input on the cab. Is this true? What should i stick with?Thanks
I think what your asking, is if your head has an advantage putting out 8 ohms, instead of 4 ohms...

Answer: The output transformer gets to use all of it's windings when putting out 8 ohms.
At 4 ohms, I am guessing only 1/2 of it's windings are used...

Does it matter? I asked this question in another forum, as I run (2) 8 ohm cabs in parallel, so I too use the 4 ohm out on my head. The overwhelming response I received was that humans can't hear the difference.

So in short: I don't believe using the 4 or 8 ohm out on the back of your amp, yields a significant advantage sound wise. We just need to make sure speaker config, and amp match in my book.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 21, 2010,
You need to go from the 4 ohm out of the amp, into the 4 ohm in on your Cab.

Nothing else will do, providing your Cab is 4 or 16.

Your amp has an 8 ohm out, but for right now, with 1 cab that has a 4 or 16 ohm option, that doesn't help us here.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 21, 2010,