Is there an area/thread for people sharing info on obtaining different guitar tones? I had a search around but honestly wasn't too sure what i should be looking for.

Anyway I've been listening to a lot of Rollins Band, and im really digging the guitar. I'm not asking for the exact same tone, but as a metal guitar player, my tones are all distortion and I'm not sure what i need to do to get a sound like this, its hard and heavy sounding but clearly not as distorted, and has some great sustain. I have a multi FX pedal for my amp and POD Farm 2 so i can make plenty of sounds, any tips on what i should try?
There's a thread in the archived threads section called the Ultimate Settings thread. Look there.

What I've been wanting to do for ages though is to create a website devoted to emulating guitar tones. It would be user-edited so users would upload their settings for their favourite song or guitarist or whatever and they could see all the other uploaded ones, like a massive knowledge transfer central hub. It's just that I have no idea how to go about doing it. It would be a lot better than searching through a massive list like we have to do atm....
Maybe try like a Marshall setting and roll back slightly on the gain? That would be my first inclination anyways. I haven't heard the tone, but I get a fairly good picture of what you're describing.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by adstr123
There's a thread in the archived threads section called the Ultimate Settings thread. Look there.

What I've been wanting to do for ages though is to create a website devoted to emulating guitar tones. It would be user-edited so users would upload their settings for their favourite song or guitarist or whatever and they could see all the other uploaded ones, like a massive knowledge transfer central hub. It's just that I have no idea how to go about doing it. It would be a lot better than searching through a massive list like we have to do atm....

If you have money you could hire someone else to build the website for you, There are tones of programmers who can make this type of website you need.

I would also like to say you have a great idea and if you ever do start it i would like to join and contribute