I have been given a small 12v fridge from which I want to power from a solar cell so it wont run off my car battery.

Would this be possible?

I was thinking have a Solar cell power a small 12v battery then that battery to power the fridge.

Does anyone know what wattage of solar cell I would need to keep the fridge going? I was thinking maybe 10w? Top the battery up first then have the solar cell topping it up constantly...

Any help?

Edit: Fridge uses 3 amps at 36w.

PSN ID: ArranP
Last edited by apmaman at Sep 21, 2010,
I'm sure the basic specs are on line.

A car battery is a tremendously powerful, low voltage cell. You can kill a man with it if done properly (and he's got a weak heart.)

So that would take pretty big solar cell.

In theory there are so many electrons per square centimeter of solar cell. To equal the deadly force of a car battery that's a lot of electrons. A lot of square centimeters.

If you wanted to do it for less money you might try solar thermal. You can set that up with old machine parts and whatnot. Actual photoelectric cells are hella expensive.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by daytripper75
I am a scientist. The answer is yes.

I'm in the right place then

Quote by apmaman
I have been given a small 12v fridge from which I want to power from a solar cell so it wont run off my car battery.

Would this be possible?

You cannot power a solar cell with a fridge
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by *kill'emall*
You cannot power a solar cell with a fridge

Originally Posted by apmaman

Would this be possible?

You would technically be charging your car battery with the solar cell and the battery would power the fridge.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Last edited by 0RI0N at Sep 21, 2010,
Could I not use a separate battery, so the solar cell would charge that battery and only power the fridge? So I'd never flatten the battery for starting the car.

Pretty clueless as you can tell, but I'd imagine that a 10w solar cell should be able to fit on my car's boot parcel shelf and charge but a standard car battery hidden in the boot to then supply the power to the fridge.

Just working out the maths, and if its even worth doing for the costs.

^Yes I would suggest a seperate battery. If all this is too complicated you could always use a cooler.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
This might be able to give you some ideas, but I'd guess your project will end up being prohibitively expensive.

I think an even more interesting contraption would be a mechanically powered cooler.
Quote by GC Shred Off
This might be able to give you some ideas, but I'd guess your project will end up being prohibitively expensive.

I think an even more interesting contraption would be a mechanically powered cooler.

This, solar cells are stupidly expensive. But if you were to go about it, then you would want the positive off the solar cell going to the positive on the battery, and the negative off the solar cell going to ground somewhere other than the battery, then off the positive of the battery, go to the positive to the fridge, and the negative off the fridge to ground.

Simple really.