If you're looking at buying the amp, and you can pay on the day, make a big deal about whether you're not sure whether to put the amp on layby or to take it away on the day. They should give you a nicer deal if you take it away on the day.

But yeah, take your guitar and your pedalboard, try out a heap of the amps in the shop, even the ones way over your budget. Reason for this being is that if you find something you like that's way over your budget, you can look around for it used at a similar price as what you're looking at now.
When you test out the amps make sure to play hit songs that everyone loves to hear. “Smoke on The Water”, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, “Sweet Child o’ Mine”, and of course “Stairway to Heaven” are all good choices. Playing these popular songs is a great way to make friends with the sales guy and get a discount.
Quote by jpnyc
When you test out the amps make sure to play hit songs that everyone loves to hear. “Smoke on The Water”, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”, “Sweet Child o’ Mine”, and of course “Stairway to Heaven” are all good choices. Playing these popular songs is a great way to make friends with the sales guy and get a discount.

+1
Quote by jpnyc

hahahaha

but seriously play with it for a long while and make sure that u like all the amp and pedal models, cuz most them sound okay to my ear and i was hoping for better sound when i bought it
Don't be ashamed to crank it a bit in the shop when you try it, you need to hear how it handles at high volumes. Things like clean headroom make a big difference in amps and you won't find that out till you play it loud. Also generally don't be embarrassed about your playing, play what you can how you like, it's silly to not sound test it properly because you were too nervous!

If you're comparing to other amps then play the same guitars through them (ideally bring your own in, if not play something similar). This may sound silly but i've seen people go into guitar shops, try out a crappy amp with a £1000 gibson then move onto a nicer amp, put a cheap Jim dean strat through it and decide the cheap amp sounds better....

Finally, get the people in the shop to help you! If it's a good shop they should be able to help you get some good tones out the amp and help you set it up etc. this makes a huge difference (particularly if you're switching between amps) because it takes a while before you get used to how an amp feels and can sound. Often, even in good shops, sales people are unwilling to help because they assume you're just in there to mess about on the guitars (like 95% of people are) make it absolutely clear you are going to buy something TODAY and they should be more forthcoming with help and special offers.

EDIT: also watch the special offers they give you, chucking in free stuff =/= money off. It's very different them cutting from $600 to $500 than them saying, you can have it for $600 and get a free case/leads/$100 off a guitar...

EDIT2: be shameless, say "I want this £800 amp, but i only want to pay £500 for it - is that ok?" if you don't ask you don't get
[the point where you stop with this is where the sales guys goes to his computer and tells you they buy them in at £400 so £420 is the lowest they'll go]
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Sep 21, 2010,
@Everyone: Thhanks all....you can see the result of my alst amp outing in my sig :P
ever bargained for an amp before....
Hmm......I am certain the Vypyr 60's retail for USD600 something.....I'll ask them for 500 or so....
As for skills, ok, I still dont know an entire song with solo :P
But I can play roughly half of DT's "Constant Motion" and ITPOE part 1, some Maiden songs, KSE, etc......enough sound-peen to keep me from getting nervous I suppose....
Quote by jpnyc

Not sure if serious.
^ he was joking.

The best thing to do if you are going to play Vypyrs is to read up on the manual and watch some Youtube demos. That way, you will be able to dial the amp in quicker and not get frustrated with the push/pull knobs and options.

I would also take your own guitar.

I would also ask to play one of them in the loud room.

I sometimes call the manager first as to my intent (and wanting the loud room). At least for me this seems to help and they will be more willing to help when you show up. Tell them you are writing a review for a guitar forum....that will get their attention

Sometimes I've show up after calling like that and they already have the amp I want in the loud room with a cab connected and lead cable just waiting for me

Get the 60 if you can imo - it is better. You can also find them used.

Edit: Also play some other amps if you have time. Play some higher end amps that the Vypyr emulates like the JSX, Marshall JCMs if they have any, Krank, 6505+ head etc. Then, also play something like the Spider Valve or a Vox VT.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ he was joking.

The best thing to do if you are going to play Vypyrs is to read up on the manual and watch some Youtube demos. That way, you will be able to dial the amp in quicker and not get frustrated with the push/pull knobs and options.

I would also take your own guitar.

I would also ask to play one of them in the loud room.

I sometimes call the manager first as to my intent (and wanting the loud room). At least for me this seems to help and they will be more willing to help when you show up. Tell them you are writing a review for a guitar forum....that will get their attention

Sometimes I've show up after calling like that and they already have the amp I want in the loud room with a cab connected and lead cable just waiting for me

Get the 60 if you can imo - it is better. You can also find them used.

Edit: Also play some other amps if you have time. Play some higher end amps that the Vypyr emulates like the JSX, Marshall JCMs if they have any, Krank, 6505+ head etc. Then, also play something like the Spider Valve or a Vox VT.

Spider valve?
=.=''