I know this isn't the right place for this thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else, and I figured you guys would be most knowledgeable.

Okay so our keyboardist has a macbook. I have a keyboard with MIDI stuff. We used Ableton to record our neat computer sounds and organs, etc for our album...but we want to implement it into our live show now. How do we do this? We've got a firepod recording interface which has MIDI stuff, but it's kind of glitchy and cuts on and off...would we be able to use a MIDI to USB converter from teh keyboard to the macbook? If so, how do we run that into the PA or keyboard amp or whatever we should be using?
I'm just kind of lost on the whole ordeal so if anyone could just splurge everything they know about these things, that would be awesome.
Thanks a lot.
Best thing for you would be to get a little audio interface, with midi and audio. you'll be paying for a couple of mic in's that you wont need but that'll give you proper line outs for connecting to a PA as well as a sound midi interface something like this http://www.alesis.com/io2

TM
i see i see. thanks a lot. is that the cheapest one we could get that would do the job? or do you/anyone else have any other options to suggest? i mean that's not terribly expensive, but the cheaper the better
that's probably the cheapest of its type i'm afraid! there's an M-audio one but its a fair bit more expensive! I think that's around the price range you'll be looking for an interface

TM
I know that Richard Barbieri (keyboards in Porcupine Tree) does this very thing when he plays live.

When I saw them he stood surrounded by five or so keyboards, some of which where plugged into a Macbook Pro which he used for sampling and VST sounds.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
yeah i've seen quite a few bands using macbooks hooked to keyboards, manchester orchestra being one of them
Moving Mountains, the first time I saw them, used just a macbook for samples...he had a pedal that he hit to play the sound..dono how he did that.
Probably a MIDI controller (I think you can program some of these to suit your needs too, if you know how to)
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Quote by Penn100
Probably a MIDI controller (I think you can program some of these to suit your needs too, if you know how to)

yeah i'd consider that but we've already got like 3 keyboards with midi out and i'd hate to spend all that money
can someone confirm that this: http://www.alesis.com/io2
will work for what I said?
Recap: I want to plug a keyboard's midi into the interface, which would plug into the computer, and then I would plug the interface's output into the PA speakers and it would output the computer sounds?