I was wondering what gauge string you would need to tune down to a Low E on an 8 string? I believe this is 1 step down from standard 8 string tuning, not sure.

(E A D G C F A D)
Do you really need to tune THAT low? I mean come on, Meshuggah's guitars are already incoherent...

Also, why don't you just get a 4-string bass, it's an octave down from a guitar...
what is the point of going so low? i mean really?
7 strings, even 8's are cool... but there comes a point were it's kinda pointless
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
Yeah, an im sure it will have some effect on your amp. buy a bass + bass amp instead!
"Don't be irrelevant"
it just makes no since
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
Your example might was recorded on an 8 string tuned down to e but there was no use of that string in the song at all!

If you really think you need to tune that low than try 10-80 as your string set
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh
Either does "It just makes no since".

dude, "Neither does" is what you're looking for. and where are you from?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Boss ME-70
Martin DC-1E
Peavey Classic 30
Greer Amps Relic Drive

Drown out the noise...
... KILL DURDEN!
For people who call themselves musicians you guys are pretty close-minded. Im willing to bet you people havent even tried that tuning, let alone even played an 8 string period. Besides, he didnt ask whether you approved of the tuning or not, he asked about string gauges.

Anyway, E standard on a 8 string is a step down from the standard 8 string tuning (F# standard). At a 27" scale, id recommend a standard .010 or .011 set for the top strings (go higher if you like alot of tension, just remember its a longer scale, which adds tension itself), and maybe around a .074 gauge for the low A, and a .080 gauge for the low E. Again, everyone likes a different amount of tension, but i think those gauges would be a good place to start.
About time someone actually knows about this stuff. Would string gauges from a 7 to an 8 differ? For my 7 string, I'm currently using a low .060 for the A and sustains fine. (RG7321) Would that mean the low E would need to be something like a .070 or is it different due to specs etc?
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh
About time someone actually knows about this stuff. Would string gauges from a 7 to an 8 differ? For my 7 string, I'm currently using a low .060 for the A and sustains fine. (RG7321) Would that mean the low E would need to be something like a .070 or is it different due to specs etc?

It all depends on your personal preferences. I find im in the minority when it comes to prefered string tension (i like my strings to be light) so thats why i recommended those gauges, as those are usually what people prefer. As far as i know, the RG7321 has a 25.5" scale. You can use those gauges you mentioned, but the tension on the strings will be tighter on your 8 string than your RG. They will still work, and a .070 (i use a .072) would be a good choice or the low E. If you really dont want increased tension, consider using lighter strings than on your 7 string.
I've got a 70 gauge in drop E @ 27'', and it's a bit floppy for my taste (and I like relatively loose strings)

I'd say 72-75 would be optimal.
all the guitarists who said it was pointles are close minded.

preferences. that is all.

I have considered tuning that low before the only thing stopping me is lack of funds, and a lack of a good luthier in the area.

Personally, I'd go with an 80 on the low E
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
i would say an 80 as well mate

and trust me, there are people who go much lower than E

on Spasm by Meshuggah they're tuned to Drop B flat (a dropped Eb tuning 5 semitones lower as opposed to their F standard)

so youre good.

and also those, buy a bass. STFU look from a different point of view and get the full picture
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
If you're only a 27" scale, I'd recommend going for at least a 0.70 to go down to a low E.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
By the tone of your earlier posts I get the impression you just want this thing for riffing and don’t have the funds to get a luthier to deal with this like jazz players do, so just buy a Schecter Hellcat.
Quote by AdAm_S
what is the point of going so low? i mean really?
7 strings, even 8's are cool... but there comes a point were it's kinda pointless

Fail harder bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKR0RJ7E8Bc
^ Plays an 8 string and tunes the 8th to low E.

TS wasn't asking your opinion on his guitar, he was asking a tuning question.
Quote by siverstorm
Fail harder bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKR0RJ7E8Bc
^ Plays an 8 string and tunes the 8th to low E.

TS wasn't asking your opinion on his guitar, he was asking a tuning question.

This. If anything, TS is smart for dropping down. It allows normal root 6 barre chords to have the fifth and lower octave added on by simply barring all 8 strings rather than 6. It extends chord voicing and overall just opens up possibilities that just aren't there with a 6 string.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Why does every thread about 8 strings end up like this?

Anyway, I have an .80 on my 8 string, it handle's drop E just fine
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I have a 27" and I would recommend an 0.080 as well. I used to use an 0.085, but it was a bit too big for intonation. I use 0.010-0.046, with a 0.060 and 0.080, as I rarely go below D standard or drop Eb. If you wanted to stay in D standard, probably go for 0.011s.
Thanks guys, one more question. Would a .080 fit through the F# peg on an Ibanez RG2228? And if not, whats the thickest string to be able to fit through there?
Quote by FRr3AkOnALEaSh
Thanks guys, one more question. Would a .080 fit through the F# peg on an Ibanez RG2228? And if not, whats the thickest string to be able to fit through there?

I have an RG2228 and I've put an 0.085 on there. It will fit, but it also won't fit. I use bass strings for the B and F#, and they've always been thinner at the end. That's the part you wrap through and around the tuning peg, but make sure the full thick part of the string is through the nut or you'll have bad problems if you have a string with two different thicknesses on the neck.

As the string would be made for longer scales, you might have to do some fiddling and cutting the string shorter so it fits without the tuning peg being enveloped by string. You might also need to get a pair of pliers, or better a vice grip to crush the end of the string so you can fit it in your saddle. That's the annoying part.

So yeah, an 0.080 will fit if you install it properly.